Colaiacovo or Daley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:
His defensive potential is much better then Leetch's ever was.

What exactly are you saying, that Colaiacovo will ultimately be better in his own end than Leetch, or he'll end up winning more than two Norris Trophies, multiple Conn Smythe Awards etc?

Last edited:

Savage

Colaiacovo without question.

If you want a comparison to a defencemen in the NHL to Colaiacovo then think of Wade Redden. Plays with a physical edge but you would like to see a bit more, great mobility, great on ice vision, good at a position game and his passing skills are very impressive.

The only knock I can throw at Colaiacovo is that his slap shot from the point could be improved. He's still shooting at the mid level where it's not high enough but it's also doesn't go the other way where it's powerful and along the ice. It's just where it's good for a goalie in the high pads and glove level.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
Not without question. Neither of them will be anything close to Norris trophy winners. Just because a player plays like someone, does not mean they will be that good. I don't think either ends up any better than a No.2 D, likely 3/4.

Jamie Thomas

Apr 4, 2003
Leafaholix said:
I don't want to turn the other thread into a Colaiacovo/Daley thread more then it is... so I just wanted to see... WHO WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE?

Carlo Colaiacovo or Trevor Daley?

Nothing against Daley, but please, give me Colaiacovo.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Modano = God said:
No.. not by a long shot.. Daley is one of the most fluid and fastest skating defensemen since Scott Niedermayer. During his draft year, scouts were of the opinion that Daley was by far, the best skating defensemen in the draft. One even said that his skating was Paul Coffey like..

Daley is 5'11 but over 200 pounds. He's very physical and I don't see size being a problem at all. With more seasoning, he should round out into a nice two way defenseman. However there's no doubt Carlo, right now, is better defensively. I see Daley's potential of that of Brian Rafalski, while Carlo reminds me of a Janne Niinimaa.

M=G, I love Daley from what I've seen, but he is far from "very physical". I rarely see him throw body checks, and he has yet to get in his first NHL scrap. Sweeney has shown more physicality than Daley has as of yet. Daley will be an offensive guru, but I just don't see him having the physical tools or demeanor to be a physical force at the NHL level.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
OttMorrow said:
M=G, I love Daley from what I've seen, but he is far from "very physical". I rarely see him throw body checks, and he has yet to get in his first NHL scrap. Sweeney has shown more physicality than Daley has as of yet. Daley will be an offensive guru, but I just don't see him having the physical tools or demeanor to be a physical force at the NHL level.

Daley appeared to be quite a lethal open ice hiter for the Grey Hounds but yeah I admit he hasn't shown the same physical attributes with the Stars, but he's a rookie. But what I initially meant was that for a kid his size (5'9, or 5'10, few sources have his size different) he's pretty darn feisty and agressive the way he throws his body around. He's 200 pounds so I am sure that helps, but I'd call him physical, especially for his size. I think it takes a while for him to develop every attribute at the NHL level, including physical play.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I sure hope he brings some of his physical play to Dallas. He would quite a unique defensemen if he could combine a rugged style of play with offensive lethality.

GoRyanMalone

Leafaholix said:
I don't want to turn the other thread into a Colaiacovo/Daley thread more then it is... so I just wanted to see... WHO WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE?

Carlo Colaiacovo or Trevor Daley?

Personaly, and I mean honestly, Trevor Daley is one prospect I haven't seen play. Another prospect I know nothing about still is Colaiacova. Both are good D, I assume. I'd take Coliaicovo. Though, the Road Runners are a terrible team. Perhaps, Daley.

Mikey 71

Modano = God said:
Daley appeared to be quite a lethal open ice hiter for the Grey Hounds but yeah I admit he hasn't shown the same physical attributes with the Stars, but he's a rookie. But what I initially meant was that for a kid his size (5'9, or 5'10, few sources have his size different) he's pretty darn feisty and agressive the way he throws his body around. He's 200 pounds so I am sure that helps, but I'd call him physical, especially for his size. I think it takes a while for him to develop every attribute at the NHL level, including physical play.

First off, I will state that I am a huge Daley fan. Now, Daley was not a lethal open ice hitter here in the Soo, so you were misinformed quite a bit. I can qualify my comments having watched him play here during his entire junior career. Daley 'can' hit, but does not do so very often, with the exception of taking the body to finish a check. He 'can' fight, and I would put his ability in that regard equal to Darcy Tucker's. IF he is paired with a solid defensive defenceman, he really does have a solid shot to be one of the top 3 or 4 offensive defencemen in the NHL. If he is not paired with the right guy, his defensive liabilities will show and he will be considered somewhat of a bust in terms of what could have been. Being paired with the right guy is the key to his success.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Didnt the Cola/Daley dispute kick off out of a comment M=G made that Daley was not that far off Cola? He didnt claim Daley was better or even equivalent so its not a who-is-better thing.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I have nothing against Daley, but Carlo is a mile in front IMHO.

He can help on any side of the ice playing nasty when he should, with finness also when it's time to do so.

And what a passer...

He is the package IMO.

Daley is a good ofensive D-Man with some def skills. Size is clearly a mather to me in that cas. Timonens and Rafalskis are rare... hopping he turns to be like them but I doubt.

On the other side, Carlo is a lock to turn into a solid 1st pairing.

BJ21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad