Confirmed with Link: COL/WSH Grubauer, Orpik for Avs 2018 2nd round pick

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Guys on NHL Network were wondering if Sakic will now trade Semyon Varlamov to a goalie needy team, pointing out Joe didn't bring Grubauer in to be the back out.

Probably a 1A/B situation again, but food for thought.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs can retain 33% in an Orpik trade and if it brings back even a low pick, it's break even with a buyout.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Guys on NHL Network were wondering if Sakic will now trade Semyon Varlamov to a goalie needy team, pointing out Joe didn't bring Grubauer in to be the back out.

Probably a 1A/B situation again, but food for thought.

Varly is not worth trading. Not much value there.. He needs a big year just to stay in NHL.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If the Avs can't pick up an asset in a trade for a retained Oripik, I wouldn't at all be opposed to keeping him for the year. As mentioned, he's an upgrade on Siemens, Warsofsky, and defensively on Barberio. Brings tons of leadership that the Avs will need to replace with the departure of Comeau.

Depending on how the pairings work out in camp, he could be a good partner for Girard to learn the NHL game with too.

Orpik was pretty close to signing with the Avs as a UFA. I'd bet he'd be interested in playing in Denver over most teams now that he has another Cup, unless he wants to stay on the East Coast.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Flipping/buying out Orpik makes this trade really good for me.

Nice to have an owner that's willing to spend some meaningless money *looks at Melnyk

Reactions: klozge

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
We added two potential nr 1 goalies this summer for almost nothing. Great insurance to have with Varly being Varly.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Good trade for Washington too, since they can keep Wilson and Carlsson.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I know it appears that Orpik is going to be flipped our bought out, but if there's no interest am I crazy for thinking he might be a nice fit beside Girard?

I know he's slow and his contract is bad but you'd have to think at 50% Sakic can probably get a 4th or 5th back for him. Trading a 2nd for Grubauer and a 4th would be wizardry.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Considering all the injuries and #of players we usually go through on D every year, I wouldn't be opposed to keep Orpik as a #6-8 for the next season. His leadership will be good during EJ's injuries...

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So can we debunk this myth that Sakic is a subpar GM? He is making a lot of GMs around the league look stupid.

He basically just got a youngish goalie with #1 upside for a 2nd round pick and the willingness to eat salary. Oh and not to mention we still have a 2nd round pick to boot.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I know it appears that Orpik is going to be flipped our bought out, but if there's no interest am I crazy for thinking he might be a nice fit beside Girard?

I know he's slow and his contract is bad but you'd have to think at 50% Sakic can probably get a 4th or 5th back for him. Trading a 2nd for Grubauer and a 4th would be wizardry.

To be honest Sakic seems pretty all in on in 'younger and stay young' thing. I think the Stuart / Iggy / Beauchemin fiascos might have turned him off of bringing in older vets for a long time. All three of them blew up spectacularly.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

Yes, you're crazy for thinking that Orpik is a nice fit anywhere. He's so, so done. 'Battles' and 'fights' out there, but he really can't move at all. Has never been able to make a pass, but is literally just a human meat shield at this point. Nemeth and Barberio both offer more.

Reactions: Avs_19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad