Confirmed with Link: COL/WSH Grubauer, Orpik for Avs 2018 2nd round pick

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Would be a shame if we're forced to re-sign Varly due to Grubauer and then end up losing Francouz. Even more so if he then lights it up elsewhere.

That's not going to happen. Varly's already proven why he isn't a good bet for a long-term deal. He's not durable enough and he's not consistent enough. Doesn't matter what Grubauer is doing, the Avs made their move, now they need to find a way to make it work.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Grubs isn't the answer unless he sticks his head out of his ass. Even if he did, I'm not a fan of his. Some of his comments made him sound entitled about wanting to start more and not getting a fair shot. He got his wish, and he's failing miserably.

Ideally we re-sign Varly to a 3-4 year contract, trade Grubs for a 2nd, and re-sign Francouz.

Reactions: Foppberg and klozge

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Even if Grubauer plays well down the stretch, I think he might already have been too inconsistent this season to rely on as a starter next year. He had some poor games early. Then a couple good games here and there. Then the starters role was basically given to him to lose, and unfortunately for him that might be what he's done with some more bad games.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Even if Grubauer plays well down the stretch, I think he might already have been too inconsistent this season to rely on as a starter next year. He had some poor games early. Then a couple good games here and there. Then the starters role was basically given to him to lose, and unfortunately for him that might be what he's done with some more bad games.

It is going to be a bitch to move him if it comes to that. Our best hope moving forward might be in my theory about goalies who need a year to recover from Varly's surgery. Plenty of good examples out there.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I remember when TOR got Andersen he was not good for a while but then got it together. I really hope this is the case with Gru.

Reactions: Balthazar

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
Yeah I definetly think Grubi can get it together. I hope that’s the case because down the road I don’t want goaltending to derail our success. However I would really like Frankie to get a chance this season to start and if he wins that to continue to start if he ends up doing good.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It is going to be a ***** to move him if it comes to that. Our best hope moving forward might be in my theory about goalies who need a year to recover from Varly's surgery. Plenty of good examples out there.

I'm not sure they'll move him. I think the most likely case is the one I've been talking about for a while, where they re-sign Varly to a short term deal, and go with the same Varly-Gru duo next year. Unfortunately, they'll likely lose Francouz along the way.

They could also give Francouz some starts down the line, and if he continues to play well, they could go with a Varly-Franc duo. That's a big risk though with Varly's injury history because even with Grubauer's struggles this year, he's more proven than Francouz's one year in NA.

If they do go that route, I don't think it would be too hard to move Grubauer. Somebody might take a chance on him, and he might do well. If they have to they can probably withhold a million on his salary for the remaining two years and not be in too much trouble.

Problem is I think they might have been considering buying out Calvert at some point too, and that might be a bit much in dead cap space. Maybe they can squeeze it though.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He’s been the consensus best goalie coach in the league for a while now hasn’t he?

Yeah, I'd say so. TBH I'm not sure how many real "goalie gurus" there are in the league now. Sean Burke turned Mike Smith from a journeyman goaltender into a Vezina contender, but then he ditched the gig to be more of a front office guy. Benoit Allaire (I think) is still around, Francois of course retired, the great Warren Strelow has been dead for a while, and so on.

I was 100% certain Parkkila would be gone after this season but it might be sooner. He was brought in for the sole purpose of fixing Varly, and he hasn't done that. And what's worse, he's somehow broken the other guy too.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I remember when TOR got Andersen he was not good for a while but then got it together. I really hope this is the case with Gru.
We can hope. But he reminds me much more of Scott Darling than Anderson when it comes to a new goalie on a new team getting a shot at being a starter.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The thing about Grubs is a lot of teams were interested in him this past summer and I'd wager a lot of teams would still be interested now. We could probably get a 2nd back for him if we moved him right now as those same teams that were interested before are still having goaltending issues.

I'm not advocating this type of move unless we make a play for Quick or someone else first

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Via @Doctor No

2018-2019 Colorado Avalanche Goaltender Game-by-Game Performance

Analytics showing Avs goaltending situation since the start of the season, Grubauer has had worst overall games, but Varlamov has had more of them. Not a defence of Grubauer, but people clearly do overreact when he's in net.

This is one deficit of save percentage as a general metric (there are plenty of deficits, of course) - save percentage overreacts to bad games.

Granted, these games are exceptionally frustrating to watch (including last night's, which I need to upload). And then frustrating to repeatedly listen to McNab et al talk about how great the team is doing.

Reactions: Ivan13

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
How are the good and bad games being defined there, and how does it account for bad defensive mistakes, the quality of the scoring chances, and being pulled in a game and thus lowering the shot totals?

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
True, but not really surprising. He was brought in as the replacement for Varly and has dropped the ball.

To be fair to him, so far he has been an almost perfect like-for-like replacement of Varly!

The truth is, nobody here knows what he was told were the expectations for him this year and while what we’ve seen so far has been discouraging, there’s every chance he’s been affected by the muddled goaltending situation and will come good if given more of a true shot at “replacing” Varly as you’ve put it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
They’ve both gotten deserved criticism this year.

But the idea of people enjoying grilling Grubauer when he plays poorly, as if that's not the case for Varly is pretty ridiculous. It's not even a close comparison actually. Gru gets way less heat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad