Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Tyson Jost signs qualilfying offer (1 year, $874,125)

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Friedman specifically said on his podcast last week that they’re no longer in on Weegs because they acquired Toews. So I’m not so sure it “fell through” as much as Sakic had another play fall into his lap which he preferred.
Trading 2 2nd's for the better player in Toews instead of Jost+ for Weegar made more sense, particularly seeing as Jost helps this team much more right now than an extra 2nd round pick would.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I thought a Lias Andersson for Jost swap would've been good, but too late now I guess. I was surprised Lias Andersson returned a 2nd, but that gives me hope someone will still value Jost out there.

Jost can still be a 50 point 2C IMO, he'll never get that chance with Kadri and Newhook coming up in Colorado.
Lias Anderson’s father works for the Kings as a scout so it was a unique situation. (Unless Jost’s Dad also works as a NHL scout.)

Go19

Jun 21, 2019
This is what was expected. Elliotte Friedman reported that the Avs were trying to move Jost in a trade to Florida for MacKenzie Weegar, but it obviously fell through.

Jost has shown flashes every year, but they're short lived. Last season he scored 4 goals in his first 8 GP, then 4 goals in his next 59 GP. He only had 1 point in 12 playoff games when the team was missing multiple forwards due to injury. Even though he's better at center, Jost won just 85/255 face-offs (33.3%), and is at 36.0% for his career.

The short version is he hasn't done much to justify a bigger role, and rock bottom came when he started the last post-season as a healthy scratch. He figures to go into next season as a winger on Colorado's fourth line, but even that isn't a guarantee with players like Martin Kaut and Logan O'Connor primed for regular NHL roles.
Great post

He has no home on the 4th line IMO. When Logan O'Connor was injected on to that line against Dallas they were tough and exciting - LOC and Belly had a great connection, let's add in Calvert there and I'm excited to see that line wreak some damage. Jost has no corner game and bounces off people - not to mention the crappy turnovers for no reason at all. I don't know where he works out - at this point he should start writing a blog on rating arena nachos around the league. His price won't hurt to let him sit until he's needed when someone gets banged up.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Great post

He has no home on the 4th line IMO. When Logan O'Connor was injected on to that line against Dallas they were tough and exciting - LOC and Belly had a great connection, let's add in Calvert there and I'm excited to see that line wreak some damage. Jost has no corner game and bounces off people - not to mention the crappy turnovers for no reason at all. I don't know where he works out - at this point he should start writing a blog on rating arena nachos around the league. His price won't hurt to let him sit until he's needed when someone gets banged up.
I think it's fair to say that O'Connor is a better fit in an "energy" role on the 4th line with his speed.

That said, Jost has shown that he's capable of playing up in the lineup without hurting your team, since he's good defensively; responsible on the puck; and in the 100th percentile in the league in drawing penalties. He also showed in the 9 games prior to the lockdown (where he has 7 points in 9 games) that he can be productive with some time on PP1.

So even if he's a bit miscast on the 4th line Jost is still a pretty useful player to have on the roster due to his defensive reliability and versatility. If he can improve his PK ability and faceoffs he could even make a good case for himself to be a bottom 6 forward beyond this season when we might see both Compher and Bellemare depart via the Expansion Draft and UFA, respectively.

Reactions: Mac Attack

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
This year may be different due to the possibility of bubble hockey.

Ya I think so too. Teams should be doing that if possible to lessen the risk of covid (moving players from team to team). Covid outbreak can really hurt a team's season.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jost is the kind of player that demonstrates how unreasonable HF is at times. He's 22! Oh my God! He's so old! Just maybe some guys take longer to reach their ultimate potential, especially on deep teams. Also, not every player drafted in the first round has to be a first line stud to be of value.

Reactions: covfefe

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Jost is the kind of player that demonstrates how unreasonable HF is at times. He's 22! Oh my God! He's so old! Just maybe some guys take longer to reach their ultimate potential, especially on deep teams. Also, not every player drafted in the first round has to be a first line stud to be of value.

What else are Avs fans going to complain about?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
is this a lablanc situation? why did jost take less than his ELC contract?

Qualifying offers don't include signing bonuses on the previous contract. Technically Jost is taking a 5% raise over his salary last season.

Not to mention Jost didn't get a signing bonus in 2019-20 as his contract slid.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
The Avs fan base (myself included) is very tough on this kid because he’s yet to live up to the potential he had when he was drafted.

Looks like with this contract he’s owning that and taking a “prove us wrong” deal. Sure the flat cap didn’t help him, but I feel like this could be his make or break season in Colorado.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Jost needs to regain the confidence that made him so dominant when he was coming up. Could have used an extra season at UND, but chased the $, which is understandable given his family's circumstances.

Will he turn it around? Hard to say. Risk/reward wise, though, nice signing - hope he can figure it out and take the next step in his development.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Ya I think so too. Teams should be doing that if possible to lessen the risk of covid (moving players from team to team). Covid outbreak can really hurt a team's season.
Easiest way would be to bubble AHL and NHL teams together.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Picked him 7th in the 2016 moderator mock draft. Boy was I wrong.
Just a bad draft in general. For all the hate Jost takes for being a draft bust, the next best forward drafted after Jost was Debrincat at 39th. Their wasn’t a single forward drafted between 10th and 39th that’s had more success than Jost.

Yes he’s disappointing. But he’s still the best of all the forward options available who were ranked in that range.

Jost is currently 12th in career scoring from all the players drafted in that god awful 2016 draft. 8th among forwards.

Reactions: Richard88

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
The Avs fan base (myself included) is very tough on this kid because he’s yet to live up to the potential he had when he was drafted.

Looks like with this contract he’s owning that and taking a “prove us wrong” deal. Sure the flat cap didn’t help him, but I feel like this could be his make or break season in Colorado.
Yep. If he doesn't get it done this year, the prospects that are almost ready will be taking his spot in the line up.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
AVs are likely willing to accept a 2nd or prospect ie. Robertson.
Friedman said the Avs and Panthers we’re discussing a Weegar/Jost swap but it’s no longer an option as they’ve acquired Toews. If Sakic would rather trade two 2nds for Toews than simply moving Jost for Weegar it should show how highly he values Jost even though most of the fan base certainly sees him lower.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It doesn't make Jost's performance thus far any less mediocre but this was a really crap draft in depth outside the very top.

Also, perspective - a lot of players in this class, including high picks, are not even NHL regulars at this point and yet are still seen as prospects with some inherent value. Just a little ironic that guys who haven't even broken thru yet somehow get a pass. Obviously Jost has not covered himself in glory in his opportunities but I tend to think if the Avs had buried him in the AHL the past three seasons and just said he was a "developmental prospect" he'd still have some value to posters at HF, even if he was the *exact* same guy he is now.

Pulju, Nylander, Brown, McLeod, Bean, Stanley, Bellows, Cholowski, Gauthier, Rubtsov, Borgstrom, Jones, Tufte, Thompson, Howden, Johansen, Frederic, Steel...first rounders all. With very little to show. Bean's maybe the one guy from that group that I buy the "he's been simmering in the AHL behind a ton of depth and still has pretty nice potential" argument for. Maybe Pulju if he shows something new on his return. Nylander has not impressed me. Guys like Steel and Borgstrom have had hype based on junior or AHL numbers but where's the beef? Logan Brown is "big" so somehow he's been getting a pass every season. Cholo reminds me of blueline Jost...made the NHL early but just very little standout physical skill or development. Guys like Howden and Jones and Frederic are or will be fine bottom 6 players with a role but I don't see much upside.

Jost has been distinctly mediocre, no doubt about it. This contract reflects that. But that entire draft was just...not good...

Reactions: Patagonia

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Friedman said the Avs and Panthers we’re discussing a Weegar/Jost swap but it’s no longer an option as they’ve acquired Toews. If Sakic would rather trade two 2nds for Toews than simply moving Jost for Weegar it should show how highly he values Jost even though most of the fan base certainly sees him lower.

Hoping the Jost vs Weegar deal is still ongoing.

FL is cutting salaries and Weegar is a RHD filing for arbitration. It's a position with the Timmins uncertainty, needed more than Toews - LHD.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Jost needs to regain the confidence that made him so dominant when he was coming up. Could have used an extra season at UND, but chased the $, which is understandable given his family's circumstances.
And having spent a year in North Dakota.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad