Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Tyson Jost signs qualilfying offer (1 year, $874,125)

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Great deal for a stud C!

He's so great.

Really.

You want him? I know you do. He's really good. Did I tell you he was good?

Here, I package him with a late pick for your top 6 winger. Lucky you.

- Avs Fan

:sarcasm:

What would COL realistically want from NYR for him in a trade?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I love this offseason.. so happy to see guys getting normal reasonable contracts... any normal year every player would be getting insane deals and also players that havent proven themselves would get like a 2.5 mill bridge deal or a long term 4ish mill contract where the team prays it turns into a steal.

Contracts seem to be going back to where they should be

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This is all Jost is worth, is basically league minimum? Is he waiver eligible, or can he still be sent to the minors without fear he gets claimed?

Reactions: Morrison

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Avs don't really have any reason to move him at that price. Unless he is packaged for a legit #3C or a similar player in a 'change of scenery' trade then they'll just keep him. Regardless of what fans think, the Avs brass like Jost. From all accounts he's a great teammate and person off the ice, and is an effective NHLer on the ice with still some untapped potential. With no real holes elsewhere on the lineup it's probably more likely they just keep him.

Weast

May 16, 2011
Those 2 or 3 games after the trade deadline, when Jost found out he wasn't traded, the guy played like a beast. He forechecked hard he crashed the next he was huge on the counter attack. Unfortunately then the season was stopped and he never found that same drive in the playoffs, hopefully he finds his step again next season!

Peterpan

Oct 18, 2020
Jost is a good young player with potential and a great attitude. Still only 22 with over 200 games in the NHL, that’s exactly the type of guy we need for our bottom 6.
I don’t know why so many people like bashing on him but I’m happy with this sinning.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Assuming Kaut, O'Connor and one of Timmins/Gilbert is on the team (22 man roster), that would leave roughly 3.4 mill for Toews.
Avs don't typically roll with a 23 man roster, since the AHL affiliate is only 30 minutes away. Adding O'Connor and Gilbert to the 22-man roster would leave $4.273m to sign Toews.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Avs don't typically roll with a 23 man roster, since the AHL affiliate is only 30 minutes away. Adding O'Connor and Gilbert to the 22-man roster would leave $4.273m to sign Toews.
This year may be different due to the possibility of bubble hockey.

Reactions: Morrison

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
is this a lablanc situation? why did jost take less than his ELC contract?

When guys like Nieto are signing for league minimum just to stay in the league that doesn't give players like Jost much leverage, particularly since he didn't have arbitration rights.

He probably could have pushed for slightly more money, but based on our cap situation (where we can just about fit Toews in at $4m but not much more than that) I'd hazard a guess that Sakic told Jost that he either signs his QO or a slightly higher 2 year deal, or he'd be forced to trade him somewhere like Florida. So Jost probably took a cheaper deal to stay with the team another season.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
When guys like Nieto are signing for league minimum just to stay in the league that doesn't give players like Jost much leverage, particularly since he didn't have arbitration rights.

He probably could have pushed for slightly more money, but based on our cap situation (where we can just about fit Toews in at $4m but not much more than that) I'd hazard a guess that Sakic told Jost that he either signs his QO or a slightly higher 2 year deal, or he'd be forced to trade him somewhere like Florida. So Jost probably took a cheaper deal to stay with the team another season.
ah that makes some sense, just odd to see him with the same cap hit as guys like nolan

Reactions: Richard88

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I thought a Lias Andersson for Jost swap would've been good, but too late now I guess. I was surprised Lias Andersson returned a 2nd, but that gives me hope someone will still value Jost out there.

Jost can still be a 50 point 2C IMO, he'll never get that chance with Kadri and Newhook coming up in Colorado.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I thought a Lias Andersson for Jost swap would've been good, but too late now I guess. I was surprised Lias Andersson returned a 2nd, but that gives me hope someone will still value Jost out there.

Jost can still be a 50 point 2C IMO, he'll never get that chance with Kadri and Newhook coming up in Colorado.
Lias Anderson for Jost would have been a terrible trade for Colorado. Jost has at least shown that he's a capable NHLer with stellar defense; whereas Lias hasn't proven anything yet.

I do agree though that the return NYR got for Lias sets a decent low-end benchmark for what Jost can return. If Jost is moved though it would likely be more in a Jost+pick sort of deadline trade though, rather than just for picks straight up. He's much more useful to Colorado than picks right now, particularly given his low caphit this season.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
This is what was expected. Elliotte Friedman reported that the Avs were trying to move Jost in a trade to Florida for MacKenzie Weegar, but it obviously fell through.

Jost has shown flashes every year, but they're short lived. Last season he scored 4 goals in his first 8 GP, then 4 goals in his next 59 GP. He only had 1 point in 12 playoff games when the team was missing multiple forwards due to injury. Even though he's better at center, Jost won just 85/255 face-offs (33.3%), and is at 36.0% for his career.

The short version is he hasn't done much to justify a bigger role, and rock bottom came when he started the last post-season as a healthy scratch. He figures to go into next season as a winger on Colorado's fourth line, but even that isn't a guarantee with players like Martin Kaut and Logan O'Connor primed for regular NHL roles.

Reactions: Joe Sakic

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This is what was expected. Elliotte Friedman reported that the Avs were trying to move Jost in a trade to Florida for MacKenzie Weegar, but it obviously fell through.

Jost has shown flashes every year, but they're short lived. Last season he scored 4 goals in his first 8 GP, then 4 goals in his next 59 GP. He only had 1 point in 12 playoff games when the team was missing multiple forwards due to injury. Even though he's better at center, Jost won just 85/255 face-offs (33.3%), and is at 36.0% for his career.

The short version is he hasn't done much to justify a bigger role, and rock bottom came when he started the last post-season as a healthy scratch. He figures to go into next season as a winger on Colorado's fourth line, but even that isn't a guarantee with players like Martin Kaut and Logan O'Connor primed for regular NHL roles.
Friedman specifically said on his podcast last week that they’re no longer in on Weegs because they acquired Toews. So I’m not so sure it “fell through” as much as Sakic had another play fall into his lap which he preferred.

Reactions: shadow1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad