Confirmed Trade: [COL/SJS] Avs trade Nicolas Meloche to Sharks for Antoine Bibeau

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
To my knowledge Meloche has never played for Avs? Besides, Barberio is a better player, several places higher up in the depth chart.

Another example where prospects (or former prospects are overrated by posters. In the GM world this is one AHL player against another.
I think everyone realizes this is an AHL trade....

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Barberio played heavy minutes during the playoffs two years ago (granted there were injuries). Meloche doesn't even get a team discount on Avs gear for his buddies.

Timmins looking good, drafting Byram, trading for Connaught and Rosen. Meloche fell four spots in the depth chart this summer.

And he was at best #8 to begin with.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
We had high hopes from Bibeau on the Sharks this year and was hoping he could outplay Dell to earn the backup spot on the Sharks. Unfortunately, he did not so not too surprised we moved him given that we have Korenar and Shortridge for AHL duties.

What are the biggest strengths and weaknesses in Meloche's game? Outside of the good D depth on Colorado, what is keeping him from being a bottom-pairing NHL D-man at this time?
Poor skating

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Cole is injured for the next few months and at least two of the guys you named are not NHL caliber veterans. there was a spot open on the third pairing right now, but he didn't impress enough in camp meanwhile Timmins (who is on another level of potential) looks good. so yeah, for the time being after the recent showdown, his chances of getting NHL icetime seemed to be around zero. personally, I'd keep him anyways at least until Zadorov is signed for longer, but as other poster said, management clearly doesn't share the assessments as I do.
Cole is practicing now he will be ready very soon

Youngblood29

Jul 3, 2018
as an Avs fan, this is just sad. getting an AHL goalie shouldn't cost one of our best D prospects

:confused:
What? ”One of our best D prospect”

The reason why he is Not in the NHL is that he is toooooo Slow.
And where the game of hockey is going, I cannot see him getting there in the future either.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Minor but not insignificant

Avs were still looking for 3rd string goalkeeper and Bibeau can fill that role.

Also, I thought that Meloche still had some NHL upside but it looks like he got passed on the Avs' depth chart.
Bibeau sucks

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Sharks get an ok prospect for someone who the Avs could have gotten for free earlier, or at least a similar goaltending.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I don't know what Colorado is doing. They could have grabbed Louis Domingue a week ago on waivers if they wanted a different backup goalie. There will also be other decent #3s who could be backups on waivers in the next few days.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don't know what Colorado is doing. They could have grabbed Louis Domingue a week ago on waivers if they wanted a different backup goalie. There will also be other decent #3s who could be backups on waivers in the next few days.
If they claimed a goalie on waivers, they would either have to keep that goalie up or send him through waivers to get to the minors. Bibeau has already passed through waivers and so they don’t need to put him on waivers to send him down.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
This is a guy already passed waivers, so they dont have to worry about losing him. Also pretty sure they knew Meloche would never get a chance and didnt think he had much value

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
This is a guy already passed waivers, so they dont have to worry about losing him. Also pretty sure they knew Meloche would never get a chance and didnt think he had much value

This deal seems like they want a plan B and don't trust Francouz.

They could have just kept Meloche and grabbed a backup off waivers (and waived Francouz who is likely to clear), instead of giving up a prospect. I think Meloche had more value than this.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site

They could have just kept Meloche and grabbed a backup off waivers (and waived Francouz who is likely to clear), instead of giving up a prospect. I think Meloche had more value than this.

That's not it at all. They had three goalies in camp. Adam Werner (4 AHL games of NA pro experience), Hunter Miska (2 years AHL experience), and Mason McDonald (5 AHL games experience). If Grubauer or Francouz got hurt, they had no one that could step in as the Avs #3. They traded a guy that was never going to get a chance since he was passed this summer by four players this on the depth chart for a guy that is essentially the Avs #3. Had absolutely nothing to do with the Avs not trusting Francois. He's been given the backup job since they let Varlamov walk.

Reactions: klozge

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

We need a #3 to sit behind Francouz in the AHL, not a backup to replace him.

Reactions: S E P H

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Would have been nice to keep him since our future with Big Z is uncertain, but honestly Meloche was never going to get the opportunity to play in the NHL or a significant role in the AHL with our current depth.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
That's not how any of this works.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don't hold out much hope for Meloche and I doubt he becomes anything, but I never buy the "He was never going to get a chance here."

Situations aren't static. While right now he has a ton of guys ahead of him... things change. It's possible, unlikely true, that he takes another step- 22 year old, big dmen can still break out at that age. Injuries, trades, regressions.... You never know what will happen.

I once held out hope for Bibeau but doesn't look like that's happening. Very high likelihood that this is a minor league deal only, but SJ could end up getting lucky on this one and end up with $5 on the scratch ticket they found on the ground.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I don't hold out much hope for Meloche and I doubt he becomes anything, but I never buy the "He was never going to get a chance here."

Situations aren't static. While right now he has a ton of guys ahead of him... things change. It's possible, unlikely true, that he takes another step- 22 year old, big dmen can still break out at that age. Injuries, trades, regressions.... You never know what will happen.

I once held out hope for Bibeau but doesn't look like that's happening. Very high likelihood that this is a minor league deal only, but SJ could end up getting lucky on this one and end up with $5 on the scratch ticket they found on the ground.
Haha that analogy probably sums it up

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
We had high hopes from Bibeau on the Sharks this year and was hoping he could outplay Dell to earn the backup spot on the Sharks. Unfortunately, he did not so not too surprised we moved him given that we have Korenar and Shortridge for AHL duties.

What are the biggest strengths and weaknesses in Meloche's game? Outside of the good D depth on Colorado, what is keeping him from being a bottom-pairing NHL D-man at this time?
He is aggressive defensively and provides a good physical game. He also brings a good first outlet and decent offensive skills like a hard shot and smarts. He can still be a top 4 guy imo if given a better development role.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia

Meloche wasn't getting a chance on the Avs, he was far down the depth chart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->