Confirmed Trade: [COL/SJS] Avs trade Nicolas Meloche to Sharks for Antoine Bibeau

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
As Patagonia contextualized, Meloche could (I'd say should) have gotten some NHL time already to test the waters. but it didn't happen and right now it seems he would be buried for the whole season again in the AHL, so they moved on as the team needed an AHL starter. Meloche has very limited offense, but is a decent skater with good awareness that loves to be a pain in the *** to play against. I still think he will be a (good) third pairing NHL defender someday.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Hopefully Meloche can carve out a career in SJ. He's got some NHL upside, so it's sad to see him go, but the org has gotten substantially better on defense both currently and in the future, so there wasn't room for him here.

I know nothing about Bibeau.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
as an Avs fan, this is just sad. getting an AHL goalie shouldn't cost one of our best D prospects, particularly the only one who really has a mean streak to his game. since Zadorov is not guaranteed to continue for long, I think having Meloche in the system was important. but yeah, he got passed on the chart so... dump him asap! :(
Who was he going to pass and get NHL time?

Girard
Makar
Johnson
Cole
Barberio
Zadorov
Graves
Timmins
Byram
Rosen
Cannauton

Hes the 12th D best case scenario in our system now. Almost no chance at sniffing the NHL ever. Good for him to get out.

Reactions: CB Joe and obZen

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019

Girard
Makar
Johnson
Cole
Barberio
Zadorov
Graves
Timmins
Byram
Rosen
Cannauton

Hes the 12th D best case scenario in our system now. Almost no chance at sniffing the NHL ever. Good for him to get out.

It makes me sad to see Rosen on that list, it was tough to see him go. The Avs got a really good d man who is ready for the NHL full time.

Reactions: klozge and uncleben

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Thanks for the information.

We are pretty set on atleast 3 of our top-4 D for a few years. How you describe Meloche is what we could definitely use on our 3rd pairing. Is he a fairly decent skater?
I think this is mostly about moving on from Bibeau, and committing the Barracuda to Korenar's development. DW just took the opportunity to add a guy who could compete to be a placeholder next season, while Merkley develops.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo

Girard
Makar
Johnson
Cole
Barberio
Zadorov
Graves
Timmins
Byram
Rosen
Cannauton

Cole is injured for the next few months and at least two of the guys you named are not NHL caliber veterans. there was a spot open on the third pairing right now, but he didn't impress enough in camp meanwhile Timmins (who is on another level of potential) looks good. so yeah, for the time being after the recent showdown, his chances of getting NHL icetime seemed to be around zero. personally, I'd keep him anyways at least until Zadorov is signed for longer, but as other poster said, management clearly doesn't share the assessments as I do.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We had high hopes from Bibeau on the Sharks this year and was hoping he could outplay Dell to earn the backup spot on the Sharks. Unfortunately, he did not so not too surprised we moved him given that we have Korenar and Shortridge for AHL duties.

What are the biggest strengths and weaknesses in Meloche's game? Outside of the good D depth on Colorado, what is keeping him from being a bottom-pairing NHL D-man at this time?

Nic has had some misfortune with injuries preventing him from taking over the Eagles' top pairing when the opportunity has come together for him; but in general he's a mean SOB who is very physical down low & effective at disrupting the cycle. His skating has improved since being drafted but that's still the biggest thing limiting his skillset; as he has good touch on his outlet passing and does a nice job of getting himself in positions to riffle pucks on net in the offensive zone. He's a stay at home guy, but if his skating can cut it, he's a modern one that won't give the puck away cheaply or be useless in the offensive zone.

It's partly Makar & Timmins passing him up, while EJ is still on our books, and partly our organization's general tendency to make up their mind about a prospect by the end of their 2nd professional season. Throw in the depth we have atm at the bottom of our roster & Meloche was just gunna get lost in the shuffle, when -- for his development -- he should be claiming a bigtime AHL role, in which he can earn a spot as one of the top call-ups when injuries hit, so he can start getting some NHL experience before making a bigger push for a 3rd pairing spot next season.

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Cole is injured for the next few months and at least two of the guys you named are not NHL caliber veterans. there was a spot open on the third pairing right now, but he didn't impress enough in camp meanwhile Timmins (who is on another level of potential) looks good. so yeah, for the time being after the recent showdown, his chances of getting NHL icetime seemed to be around zero. personally, I'd keep him anyways at least until Zadorov is signed for longer, but as other poster said, management clearly doesn't share the assessments as I do.

In 2020-21 we’ve got EJ, Cole, Makar, Girard, Timmins, Byram, And Zadorov all either as RFA or signed. Even without Zads, that’s a viable top six. His shot just realistically wasn’t ever going to come here.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Nic has had some misfortune with injuries preventing him from taking over the Eagles' top pairing when the opportunity has come together for him; but in general he's a mean SOB who is very physical down low & effective at disrupting the cycle. His skating has improved since being drafted but that's still the biggest thing limiting his skillset; as he has good touch on his outlet passing and does a nice job of getting himself in positions to riffle pucks on net in the offensive zone. He's a stay at home guy, but if his skating can cut it, he's a modern one that won't give the puck away cheaply or be useless in the offensive zone.

It's partly Makar & Timmins passing him up, while EJ is still on our books, and partly our organization's general tendency to make up their mind about a prospect by the end of their 2nd professional season. Throw in the depth we have atm at the bottom of our roster & Meloche was just gunna get lost in the shuffle, when -- for his development -- he should be claiming a bigtime AHL role, in which he can earn a spot as one of the top call-ups when injuries hit, so he can start getting some NHL experience before making a bigger push for a 3rd pairing spot next season.
Sounds like Dillon before he improved his skating.
FWIW, SJ has a history of drafting guys with skating issues as they say that's the easiest thing to improve on.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Avs non-lottery drafting has been terrible. Maybe he's not another Siemens/Elliott/Bigras/Wood, but not holding my breath.

RoloTonyBrownTown

Oct 31, 2018
Minor depth deal here for both teams IMO.

tumblr_inline_p1brmcd9Dk1rr08jv_500.jpg

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ewwww, Billington strikes again.

Very much dislike this trade for the Avs. Don't get me wrong that Meloche isn't a world-beater defenceman, but the lad has legit bottom three shutdown skills. He plays one of the steadiest games from any Avs defender and very physical which isn't in the Avs system at all, but Timmins and Rosen with the addition of Byram just made him never have a chance to succeed here. However, I would've much rather kept him since ELC contracts are much more valuable and traded Barberio instead. Barberio for Bibeau seems much more fair, but Avs gave the Sharks a decent prospect here for a career AHLer.

Damn.. after Avs fans were hyping Meloche up for years, too bad.
He's still a solid prospect for me TT1, he just got passed by so many other defenders who definitely project better. Rosen in particular has been one of the biggest standouts at camp.

Last edited:
Reactions: avsfan09

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Ewwww, Billington strikes again.

Very much dislike this trade for the Avs. Don't get me wrong that Meloche isn't a world-beater defenceman, but the lad has legit bottom three shutdown skills. He plays one of the steadiest games from any Avs defender and very physical which isn't in the Avs system at all, but Timmins and Rosen with the addition of Byram just made him never have a chance to succeed here. However, I would've much rather kept him since ELC contracts are much more valuable and traded Barberio instead. Barberio for Bibeau seems much more fair, but Avs gave him a decent prospect here for a career AHLer.

He's still a solid prospect for me TT1, he just got passed by so many other defenders who definitely project better. Rosen in particular has been one of the biggest standouts at camp.

I'm not too happy either, prefer to have kept Meloche and packaged them for a better player.

Reactions: S E P H

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I have no idea who this goalie is, but we are in desperate need for some depth at the G spot.

Meloche couldve asked to be traded too.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Damn.. after Avs fans were hyping Meloche up for years, too bad.
Hyping? Don’t think anyone projected him to be more than a hopeful middle pairing guy. Most never saw him as more than a potential bottom pairing guy.

Avs just traded him for an AHL goalie and I’m yet to see a single fan even slightly upset by the move.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
as an Avs fan, this is just sad. getting an AHL goalie shouldn't cost one of our best D prospects, particularly the only one who really has a mean streak to his game. since Zadorov is not guaranteed to continue for long, I think having Meloche in the system was important. but yeah, he got passed on the chart so... dump him asap! :(
i think his value dropped a lot when the team that drafted him got two addons in trades just to keep him off the roster. Rosen didnt appear out of thin air they traded for him to reduce the chance they needed one of their best D prospects.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
He plays one of the steadiest games from any Avs defender

To my knowledge Meloche has never played for Avs? Besides, Barberio is a better player, several places higher up in the depth chart.

Another example where prospects (or former prospects are overrated by posters. In the GM world this is one AHL player against another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad