Confirmed Trade: [COL/SJS] Avs trade Nicolas Meloche to Sharks for Antoine Bibeau

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Guess the Avs needed an AHL goalie and gave the Sharks an AHL defenseman for it ?

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Minor but not insignificant

Avs were still looking for 3rd string goalkeeper and Bibeau can fill that role.

Also, I thought that Meloche still had some NHL upside but it looks like he got passed on the Avs' depth chart.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
makes sense, colorado D is stacked with prospects, their G is light as all else. from that standpoint alone i get it although i think meloche is going to be a good 5-6 d man one day who just crushes people.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
ANOTHER GAME FOR MELOCHE!!!!!

ScalySpanishHaddock-size_restricted.gif

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Good for french Nic. He can still carve out an NHL career for himself even though our organization had moved on already.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Sadly writing was on the wall for Meloche with Timmins playing well. Got a platoon AHL goalie so there is stability there. Meh

Reactions: missionAvs

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
as an Avs fan, this is just sad. getting an AHL goalie shouldn't cost one of our best D prospects, particularly the only one who really has a mean streak to his game. since Zadorov is not guaranteed to continue for long, I think having Meloche in the system was important. but yeah, he got passed on the chart so... dump him asap! :(

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Does this make Korenar the full time starter for AHL San Jose?

Yep.

This is a big step and huge bode of confidence in Korenar. Up until March he had climbed into my top 5 goalie prospects in the world. He fell a bit after Knight was drafted and that horrid March but the Sharks realize they have something special.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
as an Avs fan, this is just sad. getting an AHL goalie shouldn't cost one of our best D prospects, particularly the only one who really has a mean streak to his game. since Zadorov is not guaranteed to continue for long, I think having Meloche in the system was important. but yeah, he got passed on the chart so... dump him asap! :(

We had high hopes from Bibeau on the Sharks this year and was hoping he could outplay Dell to earn the backup spot on the Sharks. Unfortunately, he did not so not too surprised we moved him given that we have Korenar and Shortridge for AHL duties.

What are the biggest strengths and weaknesses in Meloche's game? Outside of the good D depth on Colorado, what is keeping him from being a bottom-pairing NHL D-man at this time?

Reactions: themelkman

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
For me, this is another one of these trades where the Avs have no need for the prospect but where I still feel like we should have gotten more out of it. Meloche has decent upside, still.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Damn meloche and bigras were two pretty hyped Avs defenders who I thought would be top 4 defenders for them for years to come. Both failed to live up to their potential and got dealt.

Crazy how good the Avs defense core still is despite some major disappointments from guys like Elliot, Bigras, Meloche , and Siemens.

Makar, Byram, Girard and Maybe Timmins( if he stays healthy and sees a normal development curve) is a great young 4. They also have adequate guys to play 4/5/6 roles in EJ , Zadarov, and Cole. The Avs did well to reshape their defense core and make it from a pmajor weakness to a strength moving forward.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
We had high hopes from Bibeau on the Sharks this year and was hoping he could outplay Dell to earn the backup spot on the Sharks. Unfortunately, he did not so not too surprised we moved him given that we have Korenar and Shortridge for AHL duties.

What are the biggest strengths and weaknesses in Meloche's game? Outside of the good D depth on Colorado, what is keeping him from being a bottom-pairing NHL D-man at this time?

Meloche was a stay-at-home, solid and tough RHD. He was thought very highly, but might have been mismanaged stalling his career. AVs had temporarily shared the AHL team with STL. Due to limited roster space, dropped to the ECHL. AVs eventually got their own AHL team and played really well upon his return. Last year had a stellar pre-season and expected to reach the roster this year, but struggled.

As better DMen are added, he’s fallen in the depth charts. His potential is likely a 3rd liner.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Meloche was a stay-at-home, solid and tough RHD. He was thought very highly, but might have been mismanaged stalling his career. AVs had temporarily shared the AHL team with STL. Due to limited roster space, dropped to the ECHL. AVs eventually got their own AHL team and played really well upon his return. Last year had a stellar pre-season and expected to reach the roster this year, but struggled.

His potential is likely a 3rd liner.
Thanks for the information.

We are pretty set on atleast 3 of our top-4 D for a few years. How you describe Meloche is what we could definitely use on our 3rd pairing. Is he a fairly decent skater?

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019

I guess the upper management of the Avs doesn't share the same assessment as you do.

Weast

May 16, 2011
Don't think I like this trade. Meloche definitely has NHL potential and is very mobile for his play style.

Reactions: Brett44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad