Confirmed with Link: [COL/SEA] Avs Acquire D Kurtis MacDermid for 2023 4th round pick

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
if it's limited to this move I like it. I don't think they will over correct with the toughness stuff based on how they drafted this year. Play him against Vegas every single game dress 7D if you have to.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
if it's limited to this move I like it. I don't think they will over correct with the toughness stuff based on how they drafted this year. Play him against Vegas every single game dress 7D if you have to.
They could correct it by making some moves today/tomorrow.

Sign Landeskog
Trade Compher + Timmins for Copp
Sign Hakanpaa
Trade Jost for a more physical 3rd liner.

Then at the deadline look to acquire another physical bottom 6er.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Wow 9 pages on this already. I'm sure it was all positive too. :laugh:

This move isn't about getting tougher for the playoffs. This move is about getting tougher for the regular season.

This is to make the skill guys feel a little more comfortable on the ice, because this lessons the chance opposing players take liberties on them. It's the same reason they brought in LOB, just sooner so he's available all year.

The 4th is in 2023 too. They've got plenty of time to recoup it and if they don't, just look at the Avs track record in the 4th round, and you won't worry much about losing it. The only NHL games they've got out of the 4th round in the last 14 years was 10 games from Mironov.

Also, it's possible that giving up a 4th was a small compensation for Ron Francis telling Joe ahead of time that he's probably not going to take Landy in expansion unless he drops his asking price.

Reactions: Reparlana

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I see everybody talking about the Vegas series but I think this trade has a lot more to do with the Bowen Byram’s of our team getting ran by useless players on useless teams in meaningless games.

Macdermid isn’t the piece to push the Avs over the top for a Stanley Cup. He’s a piece that makes somebody on the 25th place team think twice before taking a run at a Makar/Byram/Newhook on a Tuesday night 6-0 blowout in December.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
I see everybody talking about the Vegas series but I think this trade has a lot more to do with the Bowen Byram’s of our team getting ran by useless players on useless teams in meaningless games.

Macdermid isn’t the piece to push the Avs over the top for a Stanley Cup. He’s a piece that makes somebody on the 25th place team think twice before taking a run at a Makar/Byram/Newhook on a Tuesday night 6-0 blowout in December.

Bold to assume we will have any more blowouts

Reactions: Nihiliste

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
They could correct it by making some moves today/tomorrow.

Sign Landeskog
Trade Compher + Timmins for Copp
Sign Hakanpaa
Trade Jost for a more physical 3rd liner.

Then at the deadline look to acquire another physical bottom 6er.

Wrong forum for me! :)

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I have no problem with this acquisition. Only cost a 4th. He will hardly play anyway. He doesn't need to play to be a deterrence. Other teams will know that if they do something stupid next game he will be in the lineup to make them pay.

Sakic well on his way to be getting all the Mac, Mak, Mc of the league. Come on down McDavid...

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I have no problem with this acquisition. Only cost a 4th. He will hardly play anyway. He doesn't need to play to be a deterrence. Other teams will know that if they do something stupid next game he will be in the lineup to make them pay.

Sakic well on his way to be getting all the Mac, Mak, Mc of the league. Come on down McDavid...

Does another organization have as many of these guys in their history? Maybe Boston with a bunch of Irish guys from the 60's and 70's.

Cale Makar
Nathan MacKinnon
Jacob MacDonald
Cody McLeod
Cody McCormick
Jamie McGinn
Brett McLean
Aaron MacKenzie
Chris McAllister
Dean McAmmond
Jay McClement

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't care about the acquisition of the player, but holy smokes Sakic got rung dirty because I don't understand how MacDermid got a 4th back. A freakin' 4th, while Schmidt got a 3rd back!!!!!! At most I would've given up a 6th and that's like the absolute maximum.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Majority yes
Sorry. Everyone of them (Perhaps except Worrell) added value.

I'm a lumberjack neanderthal traditionalist. You need a tough guy on the roster. Some one who can answer the bell if necessary. And better yet, be able to play the game at a fairly decent skill level.

The role and the specs for enforcers have changed a bit. The need has not.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Personally I think a guy like MacDermid increases the likelihood of a guy running Makar or Byram rather than deter it, because MacDermid, based on what I’ve seen of him over the years, instigates these sorts of things. His mere presence escalates tension, it doesn’t defuse it.

But whatever. I just don’t like the player. I’ve disliked him for quite some time, but what’s done is done. No use crying any further over it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Personally I think a guy like MacDermid increases the likelihood of a guy running Makar or Byram rather than deter it, because MacDermid, based on what I’ve seen of him over the years, instigates these sorts of things. His mere presence escalates tension, it doesn’t defuse it.

But whatever. I just don’t like the player. I’ve disliked him for quite some time, but what’s done is done. No use crying any further over it.
Meh. To me it does the opposite. Nobody did a damn thing when Kolesar went head hunting on Byram, or Carrier went head hunting on Landeskog. Compher got his ass kicked when he tried sticking up for Makar.

This guy cleans up all of that. He's not a good hockey player there is no doubt about that. But this guy knows his role - he's shown he knows his role the last few seasons and it's clear as day that is what he's been brought here for.

I'm not a fan of gooning it up, but I'm also not a fan of players taking shots at our top guys with zero repercussions because they know that nobody on our team can do it.

I'd imagine if he has a heavy tilt in the first game against Vegas next year, whether it be Reaves or Kolesar or whoever, that the bench is going crazy. Hockey players appreciate these guys more than we know.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I'm guessing he's a winger / spare Dman most nights, if he cracks the lineup. Super enthusiastic about it, need the 4th/5th line guys to be character, know their role. He can slot in on D, especially if we anticipate better home matchups to protect him. 4th versus 6th, nothing I'll lose sleep over, but reminds me a bit of the Reto Berra trade.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
If he helps inspire some of our pseudo toughish guys to play physically that would help too. Landy Compher Kadri and Nuke could at least give one physical player on each line that could help respond to rough stuff.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Meh. To me it does the opposite. Nobody did a damn thing when Kolesar went head hunting on Byram, or Carrier went head hunting on Landeskog. Compher got his ass kicked when he tried sticking up for Makar.

This guy cleans up all of that. He's not a good hockey player there is no doubt about that. But this guy knows his role - he's shown he knows his role the last few seasons and it's clear as day that is what he's been brought here for.

I'm not a fan of gooning it up, but I'm also not a fan of players taking shots at our top guys with zero repercussions because they know that nobody on our team can do it.

I'd imagine if he has a heavy tilt in the first game against Vegas next year, whether it be Reaves or Kolesar or whoever, that the bench is going crazy. Hockey players appreciate these guys more than we know.

Reaves and Kolesar just laughing and smirking about it afterwards really pissed me off. They knew there was nothing the Avs could do about it.

Sakic read the tea leaves and saw the need. It's not a gentleman's sport. Esp.with the SC on the line. Well done Joe.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Absolutely necessary to have a guy like this as a 13F/8th D since the league will revert to the DPE in the playoffs, you need to have the option.

But, we still need to trade for some more physical/utility depth that can actually play, like Tampa did

The chance of the 4th making the NHL is literally zero

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->