Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Pavel Francouz signs one year deal with the Avs

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Pavel Francouz had the best sv% in the KHL in both 2016-17 and 2017-18. He's still playing for Traktor Chelyabinsk in the Eastern Conference final, 0.950 in 11 playoff games so far.

He signed a three-year contract in 2015. Last offseason, his agent already tried (without success) to negotiate a termination of his contract to go to NA (source). He's a free agent this year. At 28 years old, he doesn't have to sign an ELC, he can sign for any amount of years and AAV.

Which franchises might want to roll the dice on arguably the best KHL goalie?

update after Traktor was eliminated earlier today:

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben85

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
If the Canucks aren't sold on Markstrom and don't want to bring Thatcher Demko up next season, they could take a look at Francouz.

Anders Nilsson is signed at $2m still, though, so the Canucks would have to move him or eat around half his salary to play in the minors (which may be an option - the Canucks have a ton of cap space as it stands)

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It's tough, there are limited spots available. Last year Dominik Furch was looking for an NHL gig, but no team could guarantee he'd have a spot.

Quick list (UFA in parenthesis):
----------------
Anaheim: Gibson|Miller
Arizona: (Raanta)|Kuemper
Calgary: Smith|Rittich|Gillies
Edmonton: Talbot|Montoya
Los Angeles: Quick|Campbell
San Jose: Jones|Dell
Vancouver: Markstrom|Nilsson|Demko
Vegas: Fleury|Subban

Chicago: Crawford|Forsberg
Colorado: Varlamov|(Bernier)
Dallas: Bishop|(Lehtonen)
Minnesota: Dubnyk|Stalock
Nashville: Rinne|Saros
St. Louis: Allen|(Hutton)
Winnipeg: Hellebuyck|Mason|(Hutchinson)

Boston: Rask|(Khudobin)
Buffalo: Lehner|(Johnson)|Ullmark
Detroit: Howard|Coreau
Florida: Luongo|Reimer
Montreal: Price|Lindgren|(Niemi)
Ottawa: Anderson|Condon
Tampa Bay: Vasilevskiy|Budaj|(Domingue)
Toronto: Andersen|McElhinney|Pickard

Carolina: Darling|(Ward)
Columbus: Bobrovsky|Korpisalo
New Jersey: Schneider|Kinkaid|(Lack)
NY Islanders: (Halak)|Greiss|Gibson
NY Rangers: Lundqvist|Georgiev|(Pavelec)
Philadelphia: Elliott|Neuvirth|(Mrazek)
Pittsburgh: Murray|Jarry|DeSmith
Washington: Holtby|Grubauer

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It's tough, there are limited spots available. Last year Dominik Furch was looking for an NHL gig, but no team could guarantee he'd have a spot.

Quick list (UFA in parenthesis):
----------------
Anaheim: Gibson|Miller
Arizona: (Raanta)|Kuemper
Calgary: Smith|Rittich|Gillies
Edmonton: Talbot|Montoya
Los Angeles: Quick|Campbell
San Jose: Jones|Dell
Vancouver: Markstrom|Nilsson|Demko
Vegas: Fleury|Subban

Chicago: Crawford|Forsberg
Colorado: Varlamov|(Bernier)
Dallas: Bishop|(Lehtonen)
Minnesota: Dubnyk|Stalock
Nashville: Rinne|Saros
St. Louis: Allen|(Hutton)
Winnipeg: Hellebuyck|Mason|(Hutchinson)

Boston: Rask|(Khudobin)
Buffalo: Lehner|(Johnson)|Ullmark
Detroit: Howard|Coreau
Florida: Luongo|Reimer
Montreal: Price|Lindgren|(Niemi)
Ottawa: Anderson|Condon
Tampa Bay: Vasilevskiy|Budaj|(Domingue)
Toronto: Andersen|McElhinney|Pickard

Carolina: Darling|(Ward)
Columbus: Bobrovsky|Korpisalo
New Jersey: Schneider|Kinkaid|(Lack)
NY Islanders: (Halak)|Greiss|Gibson
NY Rangers: Lundqvist|Georgiev|(Pavelec)
Philadelphia: Elliott|Neuvirth|(Mrazek)
Pittsburgh: Murray|Jarry|DeSmith
Washington: Holtby|Grubauer
Looking at your list there’s a lot more teams that could use a goalie than I thought. I could see Calgary (not as likely), Vancouver, Chicago (not as likely), Colorado, St. Louis, Boston (back up only but don’t know their prospects), Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Ottawa, Carolina, Isles, Philly.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Looking at your list there’s a lot more teams that could use a goalie than I thought. I could see Calgary (not as likely), Vancouver, Chicago (not as likely), Colorado, St. Louis, Boston (back up only but don’t know their prospects), Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Ottawa, Carolina, Isles, Philly.

Flyers have Elliott and Neuvirth keeping the seat warm for Hart and Sandstrom to get their feet wet in the AHL. Both Elliott and Neuvirth are signed for next season; Not sure if they'd consider Francouz an upgrade to the point where they might have to trade/buyout one of their incumbents. Similarly, Vancouver has Markstrom/Nilsson signed with Demko waiting in the wings.

Plus there'll be an ample supply of proven UFA backups.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I'd hope my Oilers throw an offer his way. Not sold on Talbot moving forward. The biggest question is what kind of contract would this guy be looking for? 2 year deal in the 3ish range, and hope to prove himself and be UFA again at age 30? Will he want a long term deal (tough to imagine a team committing to a guy unproven in the NHL)?

Interesting situation.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Vancouver is just waiting for Demko to hit the NHL, it might be as early as next season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As an aside, I love that Google Translate turns him into The Frenchman in the articles I read about him.

Hoping Buffalo is kicking these tires, even if he doesn't fit the height profile so often wanted these days. If he can reliably stop pucks, do it up. They have a need.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Buffalo
Calgary
Vancouver
Ottawa
Arizona

Not to mention that half the teams in the league would like a back-up upgrade.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Seems like he'd be a good signing for a team. Lots of goalie needy teams in the league so Francouz should get plenty of offers. Maybe Buffalo will get him.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I don't see why a team like Islanders wouldn't try at least....gotta be better than Halak and Greiss.

Buffalo, Ottawa make some sense. Canes if they let Ward walk and let Darling and him fight.

Honestly don't know much about him, some good looking stats in the KHL though.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
My guess he will get interest from the following teams and likely be interested in them as most have a decent team around him:
STL-Goal has been the sore spot for the team all year, Jake Allen isn't cutting it;
EDM-Talbot after one of the best season in the NHL last year was brutal to start and they had no depth;
NYI-Based on their forwards alone and their goalscoring should have been in there if they got somewhat decent tending (add two picks in top 15-could be killer if JT re-ups);
CAR-Great D core, Solid Forwards (missing a franchise 1C) but could Necas and adding a UFA like JT put them in the mix for beast of the east?

I know lots of people have suggested Buffalo and Ottawa but both are tire fires IMO, Vancouver from my understanding want to run with Demko but they may bring this guy in to basically share the reigns.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Hopefully the Canes look hard at him. Would probably have to move on from Ward as I don't see us buying out Darling just yet unfortunately. Still a huge gamble since we would still have zero proven starters, but I'd take it over a Darling/Ward tandem. We know both of those guys can't get it done as starters.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I don't see why a team like Islanders wouldn't try at least....gotta be better than Halak and Greiss.

Buffalo, Ottawa make some sense. Canes if they let Ward walk and let Darling and him fight.

Honestly don't know much about him, some good looking stats in the KHL though.
Yeah, both Halak ( ufa) and Griess are coming off rough seasons. I would not be unhappy if Griess who has 2 more seasons, did not return.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad