Confirmed Trade: [COL/OTT] Vladislav Namestnikov for 2021 4th round pick

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, I don't get why Dorion agreed to a 2021 pick. Would that really have been a deal breaker to ask for this year's pick instead?

I think Dorion might even have wanted it to be a 2021 pick or atleast I don't think he cared much about it.
He already has 10 picks in 2020 that will be earlier than this 4th rounder would have been. That means the guy picked would have 10 guys from the same draft who are exactly the same age as him ahead of him in the pecking order (assuming Dorion makes all the picks).
It will "only" be 5 so far in 2021. There is such a thing as too many prospects of the exact same age. You only have so many spots in the AHL and NHL available. Ideally you want to stagger it a bit.

It also gives Dorion another year to maybe trade the pick in a deal to consolidate some assets or for a legit NHL player on or after July 1st (like he did with Namestnikov) if another team wants to free up some cap. This is probably the main reason IMO. He was a bit "light" on mid-late rounders he can turn into pieces to fill out the roster in the summer after trading the 2021 4th for Namestnikov earlier.

Given the absurd amount of 2020 picks he has, I really don't think it being a 2021 pick mattered much to anyone.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I thought Ottawa probably undersold this guy a bit, but they killed the Pageau trade so who's complaining.

Ottawa with 9 damn picks in the first three rounds this year. I hope they win the lottery twice.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I think Dorion might even have wanted it to be a 2021 pick or atleast I don't think he cared much about it.
He already has 10 picks in 2020 that will be earlier than this 4th rounder would have been. That means the guy picked would have 10 guys from the same draft who are exactly the same age as him ahead of him in the pecking order (assuming Dorion makes all the picks).
It will "only" be 5 so far in 2021. There is such a thing as too many prospects of the exact same age. You only have so many spots in the AHL and NHL available. Ideally you want to stagger it a bit.

It also gives Dorion another year to maybe trade the pick in a deal to consolidate some assets or for a legit NHL player on or after July 1st (like he did with Namestnikov) if another team wants to free up some cap. This is probably the main reason IMO. He was a bit "light" on mid-late rounders he can turn into pieces to fill out the roster in the summer after trading the 2021 4th for Namestnikov earlier.

Given the absurd amount of 2020 picks he has, I really don't think it being a 2021 pick mattered much to anyone.
The difference between a 2020 and 2021 pick is an entire year of development. Just because he has a bajillion picks in 2020 doesn't mean he has to sign them all.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
This was absolutely the steal of deadline day for me. I really don't get why Namestnikov was so cheap. The guy is exactly what you want in a rental. He can play pretty much any position anywhere up and down your lineup, and can complement good players. Can contribute to both special teams. Doesn't seem to rock the boat or anything, just quietly goes about his business.

Really the only knock i can think of, is that his salary is probably a million more than it should be. But it's only for the rest of the year, and then he's cut loose and you have no commitment to him at that $$$ value. So it's easy to walk away when it's done.

Really solid value for a 4th round pick at the deadline...much less a future 4th round pick a year off, which has even less value.

Replace Namestikov with Brassard in that post. Then add the picture of him on the ice with mouth open arguing over that call.

A guy who can do many things at an average or below average level doesn't have too much value.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
They’ve got 3 1sts, 4 2nd, 2 3rds, a 4th, a 5th and 2 6ths.

There might not even be 14 players they want in the draft.
Then you package multiple picks and move up in the draft. A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow is my point.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This guy is fitting like an absolute glove in Colorado. He’s been a defensive monster. Plus 5 points in 7 games is a help on a team that’s struggled to score the last few weeks. All but one of the games he’s played in have been one goal games.

Will be curious to see where he fits in the lineup when the team is fully healthy.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
This guy is fitting like an absolute glove in Colorado. He’s been a defensive monster. Plus 5 points in 7 games is a help on a team that’s struggled to score the last few weeks. All but one of the games he’s played in have been one goal games.

Will be curious to see where he fits in the lineup when the team is fully healthy.

I thought he would be a good fit for you guys. Hard working player with some skill. He can play anywhere on the lineup. I just wouldnt depend on him to be much more than that.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

He's been playing Wing, maybe move to 3C? Still not sure if Jost/Compher will ever become serviceable 3Cs and rather they be on the Wing.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

I had expected Edmonton to take a flyer on him, but Colorado makes sense in retrospect. It's good to hear he's staying relevant.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs are the ultimate Plug and Play team. Just add a random tweener and he'll produce, blessed by the Holy MacKinnon.

This year's crop is Graves (he played a little bit last year too), Donskoi, Burakowski, Nichushkin and Namestnikov.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Glad to hear he’s fitting in well. He got off to a hot start when he first got to Ottawa, then he cooled off. Hopefully he keeps playing well for you guys.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Namestnikov always seems to do well as the 3rd wheel on a line with high-end players. Has the skill to make plays with them, but also goes to the net and scores those garbage goals.

However his issues surface a lot more when playing playoff-style games where there's not a lot room and teams play physical.

If im Colorado though, i want to keep this guy. Great depth for the regular season. With him the Avs can absorb a Rantanen-type of injury very well and even if everyone are healthy - keep him on the top line at times to create the best possible balance throughout the lineup.

Both him and Nichushkin have fit in great and they got them for pretty much nothing. Hopefully both guys stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad