Proposal: COL & NYR

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
The Rangers got a top-10 pick for Stepan. Not sure there's an incentive to move Zibanejad for less.

Excellent point. Zibanejad had 27 goals and 47 points last year while missing 10 games and is on a team friendly contract for multiple years.

I would think the Rangers would be able to get a damn good return on him if he was dealt, which I don't see happening.

Reactions: Trxjw

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Colorado needs secondary scoring bad, have collected some decent assets and have created one of the top 5 lines in the league.

The Rangers are in the midst of a rebuild/re-tool.

Proposal:
To Colorado:
Mika Zibanead
Kevin Hayes

To NewYork:
Tyson Jost
Colorado 2019 first (top 10 protected)*
Colorado 2019 second
Colorado 2020 second
*Colorado 2019 third if pick moves to 2020

Close, way off, thoughts?
Well Colorado would not have a pick of their own in the first 3 rounds this coming June.
I know having the Ottawa pick is a nice thing to have in your shirt pocket but this, to me, seems like too many picks in one year.
Particularly for a team who is still building.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Personally not interested in Hayes even a little bit. If the Avs can’t get that really good 2C like a Zibanejad/RNH, I would just wait until one becomes available which will happen eventually. I don’t think the Avs should be buying unless it’s a core guy coming back as I don’t think they’ll contend with a guy like Hayes anyways. To use my other team the Leafs as an example, they have traded for Boyle and Pleks the past couple of years and have given up 2 2nds and prospects to do it and it really hasn’t done much for them. I’m really not a fan of trading for stop gaps or tweeters unless you have serious cup aspirations. If the Leafs still had those 2 2nds they could add a 1st and get a good dman for example rather than the nothing they have now. I’d much rather Colorado keep all of their assets and blow it on a core player when one becomes available.

As for Zibanejad I would obviously be very interested but not for the Ottawa 1st like some are suggesting. Teams don’t (knowingly) give up value like that anymore. When St Luois refuses to trade either Kyrou or Thomas for ROR/Schenn, San Jose refuses to trade Hertl or Meier for EK, Ottawa refuses to trade Brown/Chabot/White for Duchene (Ott 1st was thought to be low at the time), Nashville refuses to trade Tolvanen/Fabbro (Girard is amazing but he wasn’t thought to be an A prospect at the time) for Turris, and Tampa refuses to give Foote or Sergachev for McDonagh, you can see a trend where teams don’t give their A+ assets seemingly no matter who they’re trading for. The Rangers obviously have the option of keeping Zibby, which they will probably do, but eventually a guy like that will become available and it won’t take the Ottawa 1st or a Makar to get him.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The pick must be in the top 10 if Zibby is getting moved to the Avs. There's nothing else Avs could realistically offer that would entice us enough to trade Zibanejad.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Well Colorado would not have a pick of their own in the first 3 rounds this coming June.
I know having the Ottawa pick is a nice thing to have in your shirt pocket but this, to me, seems like too many picks in one year.
Particularly for a team who is still building.
Not having a pick in the first 3 rounds should be valued at < grabbing a still young Zibanejad, especially when you factor in they have the Sen's first. I think Jost it what hurts more than their picks.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Not having a pick in the first 3 rounds should be valued at < grabbing a still young Zibanejad, especially when you factor in they have the Sen's first. I think Jost it what hurts more than their picks.
He's 25. Hard to call him young at this point. (not old either)
I think he is what he is at this point. Which is good.

Either way you slice it, Colorado shouldn't do it.

Reactions: Bender

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What’s the point of trading for Hayes if when’re bringing in Zibby? Plus trading Jost while his value is at its lowest seems like a mistake.

So what about Kerfoot + COL 1st for Zibby alone? Maybe adding Timmins or a 2nd if necessary?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
No interest in Hayes or the price of Zibs + Hayes.

If it's something like Jost + 1st for Zibanejad, I could possibly get behind that. But not a whole lot more, you're already getting a young center with a reasonable expectation to produce as well as Zibanejad in 2-3 years, plus a premium prospect on top.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
He's 25. Hard to call him young at this point. (not old either)
I think he is what he is at this point. Which is good.

Either way you slice it, Colorado shouldn't do it.

He is what he is at this point? This is just not true. It's hard to even tell what he is anyway because each year he has sustained a pretty significant injury which not only limited his playing time, but caused lengthy droughts upon his return as he recovered.

Zibanejad is a player, that if he stays healthy this year, will really surprise a lot of people with his stats.

I don't expect people to watch every game of every team, but if you're going to make opinions at least base them on something more than just some random judgement you've developed from the handful of times you've watched him play.

Zibanejad is easily the Rangers best player. He is rather young and has started off the season not only with great results on the stat sheet, but also shutting down opposing teams top lines. A top 10 protected first rounder is just laughable as a start for a player of his caliber.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The pick must be in the top 10 if Zibby is getting moved to the Avs. There's nothing else Avs could realistically offer that would entice us enough to trade Zibanejad.

I would disagree.

If Colorado came and offered Jost, Timmins and their 1st in 19, I think GMJG would be foolish not to take that deal

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
What’s the point of trading for Hayes if when’re bringing in Zibby? Plus trading Jost while his value is at its lowest seems like a mistake.

So what about Kerfoot + COL 1st for Zibby alone? Maybe adding Timmins or a 2nd if necessary?
I dont believe the Rangers are at the point where they can trade Zibs but an offer of Kerfoot, Timmins, 1st and 2nd would be hard to turn down.

Reactions: cgf

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I would disagree.

If Colorado came and offered Jost, Timmins and their 1st in 19, I think GMJG would be foolish not to take that deal
I don't see them offering up Timmins in that deal with Jost and their 1st.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I dont believe the Rangers are at the point where they can trade Zibs but an offer of Kerfoot, Timmins, 1st and 2nd would be hard to turn down.

All 4 of those pieces feels like we're paying too much...especially with Kerf's production having taken another step this season. If it worked without Timms (or the 2nd), I'd feel a lot better about it.

Last edited:

howboutahug

Mar 20, 2018
Rocky Mountains
I think Mika is being overvalued a bit. A good goal scorer but this is a guy who's only put up one 50pt season... giving up the Ott 1st, Jost, ++ just isn't a good trade for Colorado.

Reactions: Bender

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
He is what he is at this point? This is just not true. It's hard to even tell what he is anyway because each year he has sustained a pretty significant injury which not only limited his playing time, but caused lengthy droughts upon his return as he recovered.

Zibanejad is a player, that if he stays healthy this year, will really surprise a lot of people with his stats.

I don't expect people to watch every game of every team, but if you're going to make opinions at least base them on something more than just some random judgement you've developed from the handful of times you've watched him play.

Zibanejad is easily the Rangers best player. He is rather young and has started off the season not only with great results on the stat sheet, but also shutting down opposing teams top lines. A top 10 protected first rounder is just laughable as a start for a player of his caliber.
He's about a 50 - 55 pts/season player.
Based on 82 games.
I looked at the last 4 seasons and this year (since the last time he played in the A) and his average per 82 gp is 49.8.
His best season, in 81 games was 51 points.
Last season his 82 game pace was 53.5 pts.
You telling me he gets hurt all the time and goes dry doesn't help your case.

I've seen him play plenty. And this is what I see.

Good discussion.
Thanks.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think Mika is being overvalued a bit. A good goal scorer but this is a guy who's only put up one 50pt season... giving up the Ott 1st, Jost, ++ just isn't a good trade for Colorado.

In both the Jost & Kerf proposals, it is the COL 1st that's being discussed, not the Ottawa pick.

The Sens pick shouldn't be touched unless the avs are putting together a package for a real blockbuster, like Trocheck or Draisaitl.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'd do Kerfoot + our 1st (top 10 protected) + 2nd for Zib. Although I do love Zibby.

I'd be for Hayes too, but not at the above price.

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
Hayes in Colorado would be interesting....he'd probably change his name to Haze.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I would disagree.

Zib is still young enough that he can be part of the solution, rather than a trade chip. On top of that, the only other right handed center we have is Fogarty who, as much as I like him, will never be a top 6 center.

If we are trading Zib, I'd want back a younger right handed center with size who can eventually replace him.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Don't see Zib being traded unless the Rangers want to tank hard. He fits pretty well into their rebuild and provides a buffer for their two rookie centers, very cap friendly, plus injuries has kept his production down which affects his value. If he can stay healthy, he's a 1st line center..if. Hayes is definitely available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->