Confirmed Trade: [COL/NYR] Chris Bigras for Ryan Graves

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Graves was yet another physical, stay at home defenseman screwed over by incompetent AV.
He wasn’t screwed over and I wouldn’t call Graves physical. I used to be pretty high on him but a lot of us have soured on him due to him not making strides in his game that were expected. I hate AV just as much as any other Ranger fan but it’s not even his fault

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Odd trade. I thought Colorado was high on Bigras?

They were very high. Concussions messed his development up pretty badly, and he went from being the #1 prospect defender in the organization when he was drafted to just being steadily passed over, first by the acquisition of Zadorov, then the drafting of Meloche and Makar / Timmins, and then the acquisition of Girard. He just started falling behind and don't think he ever really had a chance at catching up.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
I'm surprised they were able to get this done at the deadline, I thought for sure this one might go to draft day

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
I like getting a bigger guy with a bomb shot and decent wheels. Potential third pair guy.

Bigras should be better than he is. But he’s lowkey passive. Some of it due to injuries. Some I feel is just in his nature. Very smart. Very smooth skater. Just a bit of a bitch. I feel like therapy could help him get out of his own head. He’s got upside if he can

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Two changes of scenery, Graves didn’t have a shot here.
Scouting report for Avs fans
Graves is a huge guy with solid skating, pretty much no offense though. His defense is solid but nothing special, has a 104 mph slapper though. Bottom pairing defenseman is what you should expect and I’m pretty sure he’ll top out as at least a 6D
Good trade, I’m happy with it

People have said that Graves' skating is what holds him back.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Graves is a heck of a lot more than a big shot. AV is a moron. All he wants to play is small defenseman who skate fast.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I remember being highly intrigued by Graves the early on and was disappointed in what I was reading about him this year.

That said, Bigras is a very good skater and has a pretty good pass, but seemed a bit skittish playing against the big bodies.

I think all in all we just swapped bottom pairing/AHLers.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Interesting change of scenery trade. Big guy with some questionable wheels, for a decent sized guy who can really skate...but maybe not a lot else.

I've never really been enamoured with Bigras as a prospect, and his poise under pressure has always seemed lacking to me. But still kind of surprising to see the Avs give up on him. Will be interesting to see if either guy actually finds a way to work their way into a steady NHL role with their new organization.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Interesting change of scenery trade. Big guy with some questionable wheels, for a decent sized guy who can really skate...but maybe not a lot else.

I've never really been enamoured with Bigras as a prospect, and his poise under pressure has always seemed lacking to me. But still kind of surprising to see the Avs give up on him. Will be interesting to see if either guy actually finds a way to work their way into a steady NHL role with their new organization.

It's odd. Throughout his CHL career and 1st year of the AHL one of his praises was his puck poise, but whenever he gets to the big leagues he started handling the puck like a grenade. He had a few games were he looked pretty good but afterwards he looked like a deer in the headlights whenever he touched the puck.

Either way, I hope he succeeds with the Rags because I can count on one hand the amount of games he's looked comfortable playing in the NHL for the Avs.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's odd. Throughout his CHL career and 1st year of the AHL one of his praises was his puck poise, but whenever he gets to the big leagues he started handling the puck like a grenade. He had a few games were he looked pretty good but afterwards he looked like a deer in the headlights whenever he touched the puck.

Either way, I hope he succeeds with the Rags because I can count on one hand the amount of games he's looked comfortable playing in the NHL for the Avs.

My thing with Bigras was always that he looked like a stud with the puck and time to do something with it. Tons of poise there. And because of his really high end skating, he often created a lot of space for himself to work in. But really not so great when he was pressured and had to do something with a puck under duress. At the NHL level...you can only create so much time and space, even with skating like that.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He wasn’t screwed over and I wouldn’t call Graves physical. I used to be pretty high on him but a lot of us have soured on him due to him not making strides in his game that were expected. I hate AV just as much as any other Ranger fan but it’s not even his fault

He’s the same guy he was the day he turned pro. Not one ounce of improvement. Agreed.

Reactions: Lays

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
This seems like a revisit of Stefan Elliot for Brandon Gormley deal the Avs made a few seasons ago.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Graves' lateral mobility and agility is what's gonna hold him back from really taking that next step. I was personally a fan of his, but that was the biggest missing element to his game; straight-line speed is good. The other issue is his windup is just a tick slow, so idk how much he'll be able to utilize that bomb of a shot. All-in-all, I think he can become a good 3rd pairing guy. I wish we'd have given him a chance, but the writing as on the wall when we made the Holden trade and gave O'Gara the 3LD spot over him.

I really hope he does well with you guys.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Graves' lateral mobility and agility is what's gonna hold him back from really taking that next step. I was personally a fan of his, but that was the biggest missing element to his game; straight-line speed is good. The other issue is his windup is just a tick slow, so idk how much he'll be able to utilize that bomb of a shot. All-in-all, I think he can become a good 3rd pairing guy. I wish we'd have given him a chance, but the writing as on the wall when we made the Holden trade and gave O'Gara the 3LD spot over him.

This. I think it’s a good trade for both teams and I really hope Graves puts it together over there

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I guess with the drafting of Makar and acquisition of Girard, Bigras got passed and pushed out. It’s a shame. He always seemed destined for a middle pairing role, but just never got it together at the NHL level. The IQ and skating are there. Maybe he’ll be able to put it together in NY.

With Graves it sounds like we got a higher floor, lower ceiling type of player, probably a career AHLer that can fill in when injuries hit. Okay, I guess. Would’ve preferred a winger prospect similar to Bigras but whatever.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

Sounds like Eric Gelinas...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad