Proposal: Col/Mtl around Drouin for Byram

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah yeah yeah the stats, if he was a line carrier,why in the hell would Mtl trade him.

He will never be the player some ppl thought he could be but yes 5.5 millions is a good contract for someone who put -/+ 60 points on a team like Mtl, I'm pretty sure we look at a 70-80 points player with Mackinnon.

Why judge a player with his point total... I guess u didn't care about the fact that they tried him at center the first season
How else would you judge Drouin other than his point total? His Selke level defensive play? :laugh:. Guy is a liability if he's not scoring.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
We don't agree. You want to flame it up now? Make it 3 times if you wish. There is nothing more you can say to change my mind and vice versa. Why bother go any further?
Who’s flaming away?

I’m posting you links to articles that show a players prime, in clear dispute of your claim that Drouin at 24, is entering his prime years.

You don’t wctually want to discuss it in good faith. You just have your opinion, refuse to acknowledge the statistical evidence, call my opinion BS, and then try to shut it down as a difference of opinion.

Drouin is finishing up his prime, or soon will be.

A one dimensional winger, who doesn’t PK, can’t play Center, isn’t physical, with consistency issues at the one thing he’s supposed to excel at, offense.

I’m sure we can find options that don’t require Byram.

Oh wait, we already did.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's lovely, but this thread is about Byram potentially being dealt to Montreal, not about Bergevin. I only brought him up because one of the comparables for Byram was traded by him. This thread does not need to become a bash/defend Bergevin thread.

This is not all about Byram. It's about Drouin too. But what you see as comments is Byram is a sure shot top pairing guy and Drouin is going to go backwards in value.

This trade idea just don't work for more reasons than one. There are very few trades like this we can find from the past. And the reason is not just Byram.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
I’m probably one of Drouins biggest critics but he actually showed up to play this season and was putting in the effort on both sides of the puck til he got injured. Having said that I don’t see him returning a guy like Byram. Domi maybe but not JD.
Well we did get Sergachev (our #2D next year) for Drouin.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Can we get Romanov for burakovsky?he's about to eclipse drouins career high while looking like the all around better player.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who’s flaming away?

I’m posting you links to articles that show a players prime, in clear dispute of your claim that Drouin at 24, is entering his prime years.

You don’t wctually want to discuss it in good faith. You just have your opinion, refuse to acknowledge the statistical evidence, call my opinion BS, and then try to shut it down as a difference of opinion.

Drouin is finishing up his prime, or soon will be.

A one dimensional winger, who doesn’t PK, can’t play Center, isn’t physical, with consistency issues at the one thing he’s supposed to excel at, offense.

I’m sure we can find options that don’t require Byram.

Oh wait, we already did.

MacKinnon's prime years end next year at 25. Cool story bro

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Close this nonsense of a thread.

It’s been universally rejected by nearly all non-Hab fans.

There’s nothing to discuss.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
This is not all about Byram. It's about Drouin too. But what you see as comments is Byram is a sure shot top pairing guy and Drouin is going to go backwards in value.

This trade idea just don't work for more reasons than one. There are very few trades like this we can find from the past. And the reason is not just Byram.
Byram is the more unique piece in this proposal. Top-pair potential defenseman that were just drafted at 4th overall are never traded unless it's a Jones for Johansen deal.

Drouin is a pretty run-of-the-mill top-6 winger, and those never garner pieces like Byram in return.

Reactions: Patagonia

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Well we did get Sergachev (our #2D next year) for Drouin.
Yeah yeah rub it in, you guys have both our LHD we should've kept :laugh:

Drouin was still more of a mystery box then and we paid a premium for his ‘heritage’

A baffling premium based on how that offseason played out and the subsequent hole in our left side, who knew Alzner couldn’t fill that slot...

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
No, you are the one talking nonsense by saying prime years are from 22-25. All you are saying is the elite level talent have prime years that start earlier. Prime years don't stop at 25. Come on man
Yet I’m the one who’s provided statistical evidence from multiple places.

You on the other hand...

Yet, my position is the nonsensical one.

Yup, same story, different day.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Can you do the list of the young 4 D who still play for the team that drafted them? I'm guessing there might be more than 8 names on that list...

I was simply responding to the notion that a young top 4 defenseman can only be acquired through the draft.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Easily....

Over the next 3 years the Avs have 13M essentially in dead cap space coming off the books alone. Orpik buyout(1.5M), Barrie retention(2.75M), Colin Wilson Permanent IR(2.6M), Ian Cole(4.25M), Buried Kevin Connauton(300k), Mark Barberio(1.45M), Nikita Zadorov(3.25M)...

Makar is the only guy on the roster getting a raise of higher than ~3M over the next 3 years.

Cap space is not a concern at all with the current makeup of this team, until Mackinnon needs a new deal in 4 years
And there Eric Johnson's contract ends freeing up $6 million.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Kotkaniemi with 8 points this year, Habs fans "Guys relax hea only 19, hes still a top 3 pick. This means nothing".

Byram having a similar offensive year to last year, same Habs fans "His stock is plummeting! We will give you a 50ish point winger for Byram but you might have to add. He might be a bust".

Lastwind

Jan 20, 2020
Ottawa, ON
Kotkaniemi with 8 points this year, Habs fans "Guys relax hea only 19, hes still a top 3 pick. This means nothing".

Byram having a similar offensive year to last year, same Habs fans "His stock is plummeting! We will give you a 50ish point winger for Byram but you might have to add. He might be a bust".
:laugh: Sums it up.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

KotkaniemiReaction.gif

Reactions: Kaizer

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Byram is the more unique piece in this proposal. Top-pair potential defenseman that were just drafted at 4th overall are never traded unless it's a Jones for Johansen deal.

Drouin is a pretty run-of-the-mill top-6 winger, and those never garner pieces like Byram in return.

Never followed by unless, a rather funny quote, cheers!

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I was simply responding to the notion that a young top 4 defenseman can only be acquired through the draft.

The draft is the single most reliable way of acquiring young talent, and pretty much the only way to get elite talent on their ELC. Yes, there are exceptions, but I don't think any team is going to expect to be able to trade for a Seth Jones level player in any given year. Those kinds of players simply don't get traded, so you either draft them, or you don't get them.

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
How else would you judge Drouin other than his point total? His Selke level defensive play? :laugh:. Guy is a liability if he's not
How else would you judge Drouin other than his point total? His Selke level defensive play? :laugh:. Guy is a liability if he's not scoring.

His first year they tried him at C...wrong idea
His second season he was not playing at his full potential due to some medical concern.

This year before his injury he was on pace for 60-70 points playing with young struggling player.

So yeah yeah yeah the stats...look outside the box sometimes :laugh:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Mtl seem to have too much center short term and D is a crying need. Col could go all the way this year and Byram is still young for now.

Plus: Drouin has a low cap for 4 more years at 5.5M. 24 years old. Chemistry with Mckinnon. Could be a good fit for him. Wouldn't have to be the main piece of a poor offense, meaning less pressure.

Byram could become what Mtl really needs in D eventually. Col already has Makar in that chair.

Minus: Mtl invest in a prospect again and lose a top forward for now.

Col lose a potential top D prospect.

What would need to be added to close this deal for Col to make that push to the Cup and for Mtl to get that missing piece in defense?
Drouin isn't a center... Case closed.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Lol. Not remotely close. Sure many Habs fans are saying relax, he is only 19. But there are plenty calling Kotkaniemi a bust and talking about how we should have picked Hughes etc.

Okay, so no to Petry, no to Drouin or Price. What about Centre Max Domi and what would you trade for him if interested ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad