Proposal: COL/BUF Tyson Jost for Casey Mittelstadt

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Neither has shown much, so it's hard to compare. I will say that Jost looks like a decent, normal player, while CM does things with the puck that only very high end players do. I can't recall the last player who flashed such skill and didn't pan out. I don't think he has an attitude problem or any off ice problems...hard to figger.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Neither has shown much, so it's hard to compare. I will say that Jost looks like a decent, normal player, while CM does things with the puck that only very high end players do. I can't recall the last player who flashed such skill and didn't pan out. I don't think he has an attitude problem or any off ice problems...hard to figger.
He didnt play againt top comp at MINN HS or in the USHL. He is going to develop, but the NHL route was probably less than optimal for him. He went from HS to NHL within 1 calendar year, so far his strength and getting bigger and adjusting to the pace has been his biggest struggle. Natural tools are still there, just needs a while to develop his body to catch up to the skill stuff. Im down on him and would move him as part of a bigger trade, but not a 1 for 1 change of scenery deal at all.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
You realize Mittelstadt's best linemate in his career so far has been Jimmy Vesey right?

He's 2 years removed from high school hockey. Lol.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You realize Mittelstadt's best linemate in his career so far has been Jimmy Vesey right?

He's 2 years removed from high school hockey. Lol.

Which sort of points to the poor path Botterill has taken in regards to his development. Botts bought the hype of the U20's, without watching the same sort of pedestrian over-stickhandling and struggle 5-on-5 that was his time at UM. He should have had been broken in on wing (like he was for his audition) and last year he should have been sent down to the AHL for the playoffs (he wasn't) instead of pumping tires on the World's (which he didn't attend after some random ankle ailment came to light). Instead he's dumping along at center, mostly poor every night despite being sheltered with outlandish offensive zone use under Phil with Sheary on his wing and doing f*** all with it. This year he looks fitter, but he's still not to any sort of explosiveness in his stride. He is like a center ice, slow moving, milk bag bodied version of Max Afinogenov -- all sorts of stickhandling into non-dangerous areas.

And he should have been down in Rochester again, but the dufus GM has not found any sort of capable centers (actual centers not, Hey-I've-been-a-winger-since-my-rookie-year-but-there-is-no-one-else centers like Johansson).

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I'd do this really easily as an Avs fan, so that kinda indicates there is no chance Buffalo would. There are similarities between the two...I certainly think each of their clubs made the same mistake of pushing them into the league too quickly. But Mittelstadt at least (still) has the promise of more offensive upside, I think. I personally just don't see a future for Jost as a clear top six forward -- I think the best hope is he's bright enough to round out other aspects of his game and can hopefully become a smart two-way third line centre.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Jost is definitely the safer player and IMO is a guaranteed NHLer. Right now he fits the mold of a dime a dozen 3rd liner. Still has potential and has constantly progressed, albeit very slowly. Looked very good at the end of the regular season last year + in the playoffs last year when he was playing as the #3C and was actually controlling play. This year he's been playing mostly 2nd line wing and definitely doesn't look as comfortable, i'd say he's reverted back to his ho-hum 3rd liner form. Part of the reason he gets a decent amount of flack on the Avs board is that IMO he's similar to Compher (who's a better player, which is to be expected since there's a 3 year age gap) and Kamenev, who has been plagued by injuries. All of them fit the role of a small playmaking forward (even though Kam is 6'2, really doesn't play like it).

With all that being said, easily done from an Avs POV because of the reasons above. We have players that can fill Jost's current role, it's definitely worth the gamble on CM. Don't really see the reason from Buffalo's POV unless they're low on CM though.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Personally, I would not do this as an Avs fan because of the difference in Jost's play from this season as compared to last season.

A lot of people will look at his goals, assists, points and figure he's just never going to get there but you would think that fans of a team that just acquired a 24 yr old kid like Burakovsky would understand that development isn't linear.

I've always been a big Tyson Jost fan but this season in particular I find that he's more involved in the play. He's drawn a lot of penalties so far this year (9 - 3rd on team after Mack & Kadri), he takes hits to make plays (sometimes needlessly and he'll need to pick his spots more...if he wants to survive) and he's been noticeably good at timely takeaways that leads to scoring chances. Overall, I'd say he's been good offensively and defensively in the roles he's been asked to play this season.

I haven't seen much of Mittelstadt this season but unless you can say as much about other aspects of his game improving as I just have about Jost, then that's not a trade I would make.

It's too early to say for sure for either guy at 21-22 years old. To put things in perspective, it would be like Flyers fan wanting to trade Morgan Frost because he hasn't made the team yet. If either Mittelstadt or Jost had taken the slower development route, fans of both teams would be eagerly awaiting their arrival. Give it a couple of years still.

Reactions: nightonthesun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad