Proposal: COL/BUF Tyson Jost for Casey Mittelstadt

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Similar stats and disappointments. CM has the better physical abilities, Jost is the smarter player. They were each rushed and a change might be needed.

Doubt BUF would make this deal. CM has the better upside. Solid win for the AVs if they can structure a trade.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Similar stats and disappointments. CM has the better physical abilities, Jost is the smarter player. They were each rushed and a change might be needed.

Doubt BUF would make this deal. CM has the better upside. Solid win for the AVs if they can structure a trade.
If you think Jost is a bust, Mittelstadt is a bigger bust. He's been nothing but disappointment.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
That’s actually a interesting idea. If not possible one on one, a deal around these pieces should be considered imo. Specially since i think both would be more suited to succeed in their new teams, given what Col and Buf have/need.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Remember not so long ago how Mittelstadt was such a highly regarded player in the makings. Strange how fast time flies by.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Remember not so long ago how Mittelstadt was such a highly regarded player in the makings. Strange how fast time flies by.

Buffalo has a bad habit of rushing young players to the NHL and have them fall apart trying to keep up instead of growing their game in the AHL for a year or two.

The kid has skills. But he's languishing trying to develop an NHL game before he's even built up a strong foundation.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
As of now it'd be a steal by the Avs. But next season it could be a steal for Buffalo. It's tough to gauge value in early careers like this for talented underperforming players where it isn't a personality/effort problem but just a bunch of things not quite clicking yet.

Reactions: Patagonia

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Watching both guys a decent amount this year..... I would much rather take Mittelstadt and his potential over Jost. Mitts does some super high end things in games and he’s really starting to play a better brand of structured hockey this year

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Neither really score. Same birth year. Jost is good defensively and is at least incredible on the forecheck and forces crazy turnovers. Not sure what Mittelstadt does away from the puck so I won’t comment.

I can see why both teams would be open to moving on, but I think they’d both be looking to acquire someone else instead of yet another underperforming young forward.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
If you think Jost is a bust, Mittelstadt is a bigger bust. He's been nothing but disappointment.

This is really a tough choice. I really like the potential of CM over Jost. He has much more physical skill vs Jost might be the smarter player does have that extra gear to separate himself from other players.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see that Jost is the smarter player. Mittlestadt has great vision. Hard to say what either player is going to end up being, but the clock is certainly ticking.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
PP production aside, between two players who appear evenly matched I'd think the one from the worse team has more upside.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Mitts is a 21 year old, 100 games into his career but ya, let's just go ahead and label him a bust already. Patience is something that very few people have anymore.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
So I am among the minority of Avs fans in that I think Jost took a big step at the end of last season and is doing a lot of excellent things on the ice this year. Some people won't be satisfied until the points are there but to me he's a very good bottom sixer who hasn't hit his ceiling.

I guess if the points don't come you gotta think about moving him in hopes that his draft position can still give him some phantom trade value.... But idk. I'm still a believer.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I don't think Jost gets treated fairly on the Avs boards, some say he isn't even a NHL level player and that's bullshit. He is probably a third liner right now and whether he can be more will remain to be seen, but he isn't bad per say in my opinion. Has progressed in the last 12 months.

Now with that said, I'd probably add quite a bit to him for Casey Mittelstadt. I believe in this kid long term.

Reactions: avsfan09

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Not sure how you figure that. 1 draft year later and pretty identical stats last year and this year. I'd have more hope of Casey improving than Jost, though it's still too early to call either a bust.

Just don't see what you do that makes CM a bigger one.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Im super down on CM because I think hes been trash and needs to be in the AHL. With that said, players who dominate at the WJC typically dont end up being as terrible as hes started. He needs to regain some confidence against worse players, then be brought along at a slower pace. I wouldnt make this deal

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Im super down on CM because I think hes been trash and needs to be in the AHL. With that said, players who dominate at the WJC typically dont end up being as terrible as hes started. He needs to regain some confidence against worse players, then be brought along at a slower pace. I wouldnt make this deal

The only real question that has to be asked in this thread is whether he can do a pull-up by now or not!

@Dr Quincy : Avs fans think CM is a bigger bust because he got a ton of hype on the Avs board back when we had the #4 pick and quite a few vocal posters were absolutely in love with him. Given that it went Heiskanen- Makar- Pettersson right around our pick, CM who was also in those conversations looks a bit bad in comparison.

I'd do it simply because the Avs can afford to gamble on his upside. I still think Jost is the safer bet and Tyson is far from done developing and actually hasn't been as bad as many Avs fans make him out to be but given our newly acquired depth, we can afford to take a chance here.
Not sure Buffalo has much incentive to do that even though they might be more in need of quality middle 6 forwards than the Avs...

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
The only real question that has to be asked in this thread is whether he can do a pull-up by now or not!

@Dr Quincy : Avs fans think CM is a bigger bust because he got a ton of hype on the Avs board back when we had the #4 pick and quite a few vocal posters were absolutely in love with him. Given that it went Heiskanen- Makar- Pettersson right around our pick, CM who was also in those conversations looks a bit bad in comparison.

I'd do it simply because the Avs can afford to gamble on his upside. I still think Jost is the safer bet and Tyson is far from done developing and actually hasn't been as bad as many Avs fans make him out to be but given our newly acquired depth, we can afford to take a chance here.
Not sure Buffalo has much incentive to do that even though they might be more in need of quality middle 6 forwards than the Avs...
If the Sabres move a CM, it should be packaged with Risto+picks or other prospects to bring in a top 6 W around 25 with term or RFA status that can slide in with the core of Skinner/Dahlin/Reinhart/Eichel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad