Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avalanche re-sign Mikhail Grigorenko (1 year, $1.3M)

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I doubt COL is going to buyout a 35+ contract and get a 4.5m cap charge for absolutely nothing. Horrible asset management.

To be fair, we're doing that right now with Brad Stuart's 3.6mil :laugh:

Avs will protect 4 defenders or Beauch will waive. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even ask him to frankly.

Grigorenko or Soderberg will get exposed unless they make a big trade between now and the deadline.

What will be really interesting is when we start planning for the 2nd expansion.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
This clearly smells of a one last stop type contract.

He can get wayyyy more in the KHL and I would expect he heads back there if he doesnt break out rather than bouncing around the NHL playing on redemption contracts for $1-2 mil

slobbergob

Apr 29, 2015

He can get wayyyy more in the KHL and I would expect he heads back there if he doesnt break out rather than bouncing around the NHL playing on redemption contracts for $1-2 mil

No it doesn't. This smells more of Grigs banking on having a good season and getting a big pay day after.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
We'll see how this season goes. If Zadorov really steps up and/or Beauchemin falls off a cliff, we may use the buyout regardless.

But if he's worth keeping, I doubt they're threatening with a buyout. They'll probably just ask and offer to protect him from LV through trade. In the end, I would think 4th round pick+Colborne/Comeau would be much more enticing to LV than one year of aging Beauchemin.

There is really no reason for LV to take Beauch. There isn't really any benefit to it. He will still be a guy they Avs will want next year even if he is playing on the bottom 6 because he is so good with the younger guys. The only reason they would is because his benefit wouldnt be worth taking up a protection slot. However because of this it shouldn't be an issue as Beauch isn't really in a position to not waive.

Also if the Avs move a pick to Vegas it will probably be a 2nd to not take a goalie, wouldn't worry about Beacuh.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I doubt COL is going to buyout a 35+ contract and get a 4.5m cap charge for absolutely nothing. Horrible asset management.

It wouldn't be for absolutely nothing, it would allow them to protect 3 extra forwards from the expansion draft. They have 10m coming off the books next year with only really Zads to extend so the cap wont be an issue.

Again though this is only the case if Beauch refuses not to waive, which makes no sense at all if it will end in him being bought out.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
To be fair, we're doing that right now with Brad Stuart's 3.6mil :laugh:

Avs will protect 4 defenders or Beauch will waive. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even ask him to frankly.

Grigorenko or Soderberg will get exposed unless they make a big trade between now and the deadline.

What will be really interesting is when we start planning for the 2nd expansion.

Depending on how his season goes it may be smart to expose Grigs. I think quite a few teams with 2 strong goaltenders will expose a player they usually wouldn't in hopes LV takes the F/D over one of the goalies as it will be a position thats more in demand.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

The guy had 6 goals last season and the Avs will have more cap flexibility next year. Plus the Russian currency is all over the place right now so its really hard to know if your contract will even hold up over there.

Its also important to note that the Avs have been great with his development. Army, Roy and Duchene have all devoted a ton of time in helping him grow as a player so I can't imaging there is a better spot for him for the next few years. Not to mention the Avs are so thin on wing one, of their bottom 6 guys is going to get some great ice time with Grigs being a favorite for that.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

He got a big raise from what he earned last year. Hopefully he builds on last season & cracks 40 points this year; then he'll see another healthy raise, probably alongside some term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad