Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avalanche re-sign Mikhail Grigorenko (1 year, $1.3M)

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Look out 19th place in the league

I look at the Avs on paper and shocked they're not better off.

Coaching goes a long way. Also they will need a few years for their younger Dmen to come into their own but they seem to be headed in a great direction.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
What's holding this guy back? Skating? Hands? Hockey sense? Although he is still damn young. Wish the Wild had a guy like that on a similar deal.

I like big centers and I cannot lie.

He has skill but no idea how to utilize it. Buf really did a number on his development.

Honestly though he has Couturier levels of possession and shot suppression and can play any forward position. He also improved by leaps and bounds last year. I'm not sure if it will ever really click offensively for him but worst case he will be a great depth player who has the potential to make some plays here and there.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Agreed. Would love to see what the roster could do with a different coach...

Roy is certainly a below average coach, but he is very young and can still grow into a solid one. His off ice coaching is one of the best, his system is just total garbage. Probably why the Avs just brought on a 3rd assistant coach.

Also there aren't that many good coaches out there. Unless there is a specific guy out there that's worth getting, starting a coaching carousel almost always makes things worst.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
No, he'll need protection. It'll come down to him or Soderberg being the last one protected (behind Duchene, Mackinnon, Landeskog, Johnson, Beauchemin (NMC), Barrie, Zodorov, and Pickard/Varlamov)

It is very likely the Avs will be able to get Brauchemin to waive his NMC rights for the expansion draft as it is incredibly unlikely he would be taken, allowing the Avs to only protect 3 D and 2 more forwards given no significant roster change.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
There's more to it than that. He's too nonchalant away from the puck, and he gets pushed around way too easily for his size. The Avs specifically said they wanted him to work on his defense, I wouldn't say that it's a strength if that's the case.

edit: I should specify that it's mostly the little things that are annoying me about his defense, the potential is there.

Defense is absolutely one of his strong points as a player. I have a feeling you didn't actually watch him much this last year, certainly not closely if you think Defense isn't his strong suit, and that he's too nonchalant.

That's one of his typical stereotypes that he got in Buffalo that very quickly was debunked in Denver. He puts in a solid effort all 200 feet of the ice. And he thinks the game at such a high level that he's often in the right spot at the right time to make a strong play defensively.

This isn't "nonchalant" this is a fantastic hard working Defensive play and then a perfect example of the way he thinks the game and how much of an impact he can have in the future if things keep going in the right direction.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Look out 19th place in the league

I look at the Avs on paper and shocked they're not better off.

Yea I dont get it either. Varly was amazing a few years ago and they appear to have a high end top 6. Is there D really that bad or is it combined with playing the hawks, preds, kings, sharks, ducks a lot?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He's the smartest player on the Colorado Avalanche. And even though people see 6 goals and think he sucks they have to realize he averaged just 13 minutes a game and spent the first half of his 74 games playing with absolute crap linemates.

Grigorenko is fantastic defensively and plays really well with good players. He doesn't engage in puck battles physically which is frustrating and can definitely work on his quickness but his straight line speed is deceivingly fast.

The stat I find most interesting about Grigorenko is how much better he makes his linemates. EACH (Yes I mean every single one) of his top 12 linemates (everyone who played more than 90 minutes ES with Grigorenko) produced better while on the ice with Grigorenko than when they were away from him. That's very impressive.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The stat I find most interesting about Grigorenko is how much better he makes his linemates. EACH (Yes I mean every single one) of his top 12 linemates (everyone who played more than 90 minutes ES with Grigorenko) produced better while on the ice with Grigorenko than when they were away from him. That's very impressive.

Considering who some of those players were and the other options COL has, that is impressive.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Considering who some of those players were and the other options COL has, that is impressive.

Yep. Those top 12 linemates are:

Iginla
Holden
Duchene
Barrie
Beauchemin
EJ
McLEod
Martinsen
Skille
Boedker
Redmond
Mackinnon

Id also like to point out that both Mackinnon and Duchene's GF60 is each significantly higher with Grigorenko than any other forward that they've played with regularly (i'll use 90 minutes again but even if we drop it to 70 it still holds true). The Avs may have already solved one of their top 6 winger gaps that they have without even realizing it. Based on that very fair 1.3m deal I have a feeling the Avs already figured that out though.

Slush

Jan 26, 2016
Calgary, Canada
Not too bad of a deal. I think 1.3M is a little too much for him but were all hoping he can break out at some point (this season) He has a lot of talent, needs to be more confident with it at the NHL level.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Not too bad of a deal. I think 1.3M is a little too much for him but were all hoping he can break out at some point (this season) He has a lot of talent, needs to be more confident with it at the NHL level.

$1.3m is Erik Condra, JT Brown, Cody McLeod, and Brandon Bollig money. He's already better than those guys.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I think they take a big step forward this year, providing there are no big injuries.

Doubtful. The defense just isn't good enough. They're a playoff bubble team again. They may sneak in, but they won't go far if they do.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
He's the smartest player on the Colorado Avalanche. And even though people see 6 goals and think he sucks they have to realize he averaged just 13 minutes a game and spent the first half of his 74 games playing with absolute crap linemates.

Grigorenko is fantastic defensively and plays really well with good players. He doesn't engage in puck battles physically which is frustrating and can definitely work on his quickness but his straight line speed is deceivingly fast.

Not surprising at all. Grigo's playmaking skills are really good. He's extremely smart and creative. I can see him becoming a great secondary scoring line center.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Doubtful. The defense just isn't good enough. They're a playoff bubble team again. They may sneak in, but they won't go far if they do.

They got rid of Guenin, Redmond, Holden, Bodnarchuk, and Gormley. That's significant improvement by subtraction right there.

If Zadorov and Bigras keep up their play from the end of last year, and Tyutin isn't a complete waste of space, the Avs D should be much better than it's been in like 10 years.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
What's holding this guy back? Skating? Hands? Hockey sense? Although he is still damn young. Wish the Wild had a guy like that on a similar deal.

I like big centers and I cannot lie.

Skating holds him back big time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad