Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avalanche re-sign Mikhail Grigorenko (1 year, $1.3M)

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Look out 19th place in the league

I look at the Avs on paper and shocked they're not better off.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
What's holding this guy back? Skating? Hands? Hockey sense? Although he is still damn young. Wish the Wild had a guy like that on a similar deal.

I like big centers and I cannot lie.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
What's holding this guy back? Skating? Hands? Hockey sense? Although he is still damn young. Wish the Wild had a guy like that on a similar deal.

He actually produced when he was in the top 6. Started the season as the 13th forward, scratched often, and made his way from bottom line centre to top-6 winger. With a full season up there, I'd say he's a 40-45 point guy next year. His defense needs a lot of work though.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Nothing is holding him back now.

In Buffalo it was the team holding him back. Terrible development of him.

Since coming to Denver he went from being a(Justified) healthy scratch on opening night, to playing strictly 4th line minutes through November. Then he started playing 3rd line minutes around Christmas time, and by the trade deadline he had earned himself a permanent spot in our Top 6 on Duchene's wing.

The guy improved steadily and consistently all year long. Avs fans will tell you that he has all the tools to become a really good and extremely creative player in the game, and down the stretch this year he showed what he was capable of.

He'll need to continue taking steps forward in the coming years, but I would say he definitely got his development back on track this last year. Personally I'm hoping for a 35-40 point season from him this year.

An interesting stat about Greg: He played with all 12 Avs forwards last season, and with every single one of them, when they played with Grigorenko there production levels increased in terms of P/60.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
He'll need to continue taking steps forward in the coming years, but I would say he definitely got his development back on track this last year. Personally I'm hoping for a 35-40 point season from him this year.

35 points would be a little disappointing considering he had 27 points while playing most of the season outside the top-6.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
He actually produced when he was in the top 6. Started the season as the 13th forward, scratched often, and made his way from bottom line centre to top-6 winger. With a full season up there, I'd say he's a 40-45 point guy next year. His defense needs a lot of work though.

His defense is actually one of his strengths. Not sure how much you've seen of him, but he's trustworthy in his own end.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
His defense is actually one of his strengths. Not sure how much you've seen of him, but he's trustworthy in his own end.

There's more to it than that. He's too nonchalant away from the puck, and he gets pushed around way too easily for his size. The Avs specifically said they wanted him to work on his defense, I wouldn't say that it's a strength if that's the case.

edit: I should specify that it's mostly the little things that are annoying me about his defense, the potential is there.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
No, he'll need protection. It'll come down to him or Soderberg being the last one protected (behind Duchene, Mackinnon, Landeskog, Johnson, Beauchemin (NMC), Barrie, Zodorov, and Pickard/Varlamov)

I thought they had to be under contract in order to be eligible for the expansion draft?

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
35 points would be a little disappointing considering he had 27 points while playing most of the season outside the top-6.

I agree, and I don't care if he falls short but he gets 50 points if he plays on that second line all year. That might not be the case though Roy might juggle the lines wildly but 50 points all season, 45 almost all season and so on... Our top guys are expected to raise the scoring from those 50's to above 60 points each next season.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
I thought they had to be under contract in order to be eligible for the expansion draft?

"The Las Vegas franchise must select a minimum of 20 players who are under contract for the 2017-18 season."

Vegas can pick up to 10 players who are RFAs next summer.

If RFAs were exempt, every team would have just handed out 1 year contracts.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Nothing is holding him back now.

In Buffalo it was the team holding him back. Terrible development of him.

Since coming to Denver he went from being a(Justified) healthy scratch on opening night, to playing strictly 4th line minutes through November. Then he started playing 3rd line minutes around Christmas time, and by the trade deadline he had earned himself a permanent spot in our Top 6 on Duchene's wing.

The guy improved steadily and consistently all year long. Avs fans will tell you that he has all the tools to become a really good and extremely creative player in the game, and down the stretch this year he showed what he was capable of.

An interesting stat about Greg: He played with all 12 Avs forwards last season, and with every single one of them, when they played with Grigorenko there production levels increased in terms of P/60.

Buffal8 didn't hold him back. At the nhl level he tended to be more reserved snd not the sane as he was in chl or rochester.

The mistake buffali did make was not sending him back to juniors. With lockout the games and days were lowered. I think D'Arcy didn't realize the day count number on the roster snd just looked at games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad