Cogliano v Oshie

St.Louis sports fan

Mar 1, 2002
St. Louis
Visit site
Of course this thread will simply come down to what team a certain poster roots for. A Blues poster will be more inclined to vote for Oshie even if he were in Jr. A still. Having said that Blues fans were presented with this same scenario last year with Jordan Staal tearing up the NHL. The Staal vs. Erik Johnson went around and around all year, but this season Johnson is in the NHL and outscoring Stall so the threads have all but disappeared. Oiler fans are very pleased with Cogliano's play and no real hockey fan, Blues or otherwise, should bag on his early success, but for comparison sake Oshie can't be judged against the NHL Cogliano until he's in the NHL himself. Personally, I have only seen Cogliano once, but if he turns out better than Oshie then you guys have got one hell of a hockey player.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Of course this thread will simply come down to what team a certain poster roots for. A Blues poster will be more inclined to vote for Oshie even if he were in Jr. A still. Having said that Blues fans were presented with this same scenario last year with Jordan Staal tearing up the NHL. The Staal vs. Erik Johnson went around and around all year, but this season Johnson is in the NHL and outscoring Stall so the threads have all but disappeared. Oiler fans are very pleased with Cogliano's play and no real hockey fan, Blues or otherwise, should bag on his early success, but for comparison sake Oshie can't be judged against the NHL Cogliano until he's in the NHL himself. Personally, I have only seen Cogliano once, but if he turns out better than Oshie then you guys have got one hell of a hockey player.
Good post.

TheGreatone94

Apr 20, 2006
Cogs is a great player. Great defensively, really good on the PK and has provided some great offense playing bottom six minutes. The thing that impresses me about him is that he often goes to the dirty areas to score goals. His shot is nothing to write home about, but he has very good vision and scores most of his goals in close. I haven't seen much of Oshie but he is a well heralded prospect. He may be better than Cogs, but that is speculation right now. Cogs has proven he can be a top sixer in the NHL right now, whereas Oshie still has to prove himself at the NHL level. However, in a year Oshie might surpass Cogs. We shall wait and see.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Oshie
Cogs can play in the top 6, but can he fit as easily into a checking or energy role? Can he play center and wing? Oshie can do it all. I've seen many games of his and still I see a new wrinkle every time that I didn't even notice before. His versatility alone sets him apart from most prospects and his hockey sense is up with the best. I'm one of the few Blues fans that thinks he could improve his skating stride. His quickness and agility are good but I feel his stride could be more efficient. Most are so impressed upon seeing him that they don't notice this, it took me until the 5th or 6th game to pick up on it. To me that makes him even more impressive because his reads and smarts cancel out any skating deficiencies. Cogs is a nice prospect but Oshie is a very special player that doesn't come around very often. There are guys like Cogs every draft while teams hunt for an Oshie every year and never come up with him. Blues scout Mike Antonovich gives them a real edge in MN. Funny that the comparison is between these two guys because as I understand it Oshie was Edmontons guy at 25 but obviously the Blues got him at 24. He'll easily be the Blues top PKer next year and will see at least 2nd PP time as well. He's a monster on the forecheck so he projects better at wing but AM is really picky about who plays center for him. I could see him getting stuck at center because of his superior all around game and he might end up on the 3rd or 4th line if Berglund makes the team. Berglund would have to play with offensive players while Oshie could be plugged in anywhere. Not knocking Cogs but his name shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Oshie.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Oshie
Cogs can play in the top 6, but can he fit as easily into a checking or energy role? Can he play center and wing?

Cogs has played both wing and center this year.
Cogs plays on the pk regularly - he's actually pretty decent as his speed tends to keep the point men honest.

Cogs is a pretty versatile guy.

Klaus*

Oshie
Cogs can play in the top 6, but can he fit as easily into a checking or energy role? Can he play center and wing? Oshie can do it all. I've seen many games of his and still I see a new wrinkle every time that I didn't even notice before. His versatility alone sets him apart from most prospects and his hockey sense is up with the best. I'm one of the few Blues fans that thinks he could improve his skating stride. His quickness and agility are good but I feel his stride could be more efficient. Most are so impressed upon seeing him that they don't notice this, it took me until the 5th or 6th game to pick up on it. To me that makes him even more impressive because his reads and smarts cancel out any skating deficiencies. Cogs is a nice prospect but Oshie is a very special player that doesn't come around very often. There are guys like Cogs every draft while teams hunt for an Oshie every year and never come up with him. Blues scout Mike Antonovich gives them a real edge in MN. Funny that the comparison is between these two guys because as I understand it Oshie was Edmontons guy at 25 but obviously the Blues got him at 24. He'll easily be the Blues top PKer next year and will see at least 2nd PP time as well. He's a monster on the forecheck so he projects better at wing but AM is really picky about who plays center for him. I could see him getting stuck at center because of his superior all around game and he might end up on the 3rd or 4th line if Berglund makes the team. Berglund would have to play with offensive players while Oshie could be plugged in anywhere. Not knocking Cogs but his name shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Oshie.

See... comments like these just reek of homerism.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
See... comments like these just reek of homerism.

Rather than having a problem with "homerism," just wait and see who is right. By saying there's such a huge difference between Oshie and Cogliano, he's making a big claim. People make big claims all the time, I guess because it's fun for them to be passionate about players and because they enjoy making predictions. Rather than having a problem with it, hold them to it. Once Cogliano and Oshie have been in the NHL for a while, you'll know exactly how accurate his prediction was. If he's right, is it still homerism?

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I am going to have to say I agree with Frenzy1 and St. Louis sports fan, as far as homerism goes.

Its pretty tough to compare a college player vs. one who is in the NHL. In addition, I think it is very tough to compare Cogs based on what he has done so far. Rookies always seem to come out flying their first year, I would too if I were in the NHL, then we often see the sophmore slump. Will he get some more attention from other teams after this year? Will his weaknesses be exploited? If he does slump will he be able to regain confidence? The questions go on. I am not stating these questions to belittle what Cogs has done, because Oshie will have to answer them too. i just think it is pretty tough to call who will be better by what they are doing at different levels.

Anyway, congrats to Cogs on a great start to the season.

It great to see so much great talent coming to the NHL. Cheers to the future!

Klaus*

Rather than having a problem with "homerism," just wait and see who is right. By saying there's such a huge difference between Oshie and Cogliano, he's making a big claim. People make big claims all the time, I guess because it's fun for them to be passionate about players and because they enjoy making predictions. Rather than having a problem with it, hold them to it. Once Cogliano and Oshie have been in the NHL for a while, you'll know exactly how accurate his prediction was. If he's right, is it still homerism?

No.

But he is saying that a top 6 guy that has made it in the NHL shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as a non-NHL player right now.

That is just silly, no matter what Oshie's upside is.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Before the season this was Oshie in a landslide, IMO Cogliano's play has only started to make this interesting.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
No.

But he is saying that a top 6 guy that has made it in the NHL shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as a non-NHL player right now.

That is just silly, no matter what Oshie's upside is.

Oshie turning down his ELC really messed with the Blues plans this year, so you saying that Cogs being here right now makes this comparison any closer is whats silly. Had he signed he would have played a far greater role than Cogs will. I've already stated how special I think Oshie is, so it's not really homerism in the literal sense. Obviously I'm a huge fan of Oshies, but does that take away from his accomplishments? Does that mean he's not what I'm saying he is? Cogs is a good prospect, but there are several guys like him available every draft. What I am suggesting is that Oshie is the very special player that teams look for every year and never come up with hence the comment about Cogs shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Oshie. I think it's pretty obvious two years after the '05 draft who the better prospect is in this case. Oshie would have been the top PKer for the Blues this year easily. He also would undoubtedly have been seeing some serious PP time as well. He can play in any situation and any role at a high level and his versatility alone makes him better than Cogs. Oshie is a guy that has such a solid overall game he would have recieved more special teams time than any current Blues forward and would have been a good bet to lead Blues forwards in TOI his ROOKIE SEASON. The only reason he wouldn't put up a PPG is being a victim of his own versatility and getting stuck being the catalyst on a slumping scoring line or being a scoring threat on a checking or energy line. The Blues planned on utilizing his versatility by plugging him in where ever he was currently needed to bolster any weaknesses. That's quite a bit of responsibility for a young guy and certainly more than the Oilers expected from Cogs playing on one of the top 2 scoring lines.

Guys like Cogs are available every draft while guys like Oshie are very few and far between. This is why there is no comparison. Time will tell of course, but at this point it is obvious who the better prospect is.

CallMeJerry

Apr 15, 2007
Oshie turning down his ELC really messed with the Blues plans this year, so you saying that Cogs being here right now makes this comparison any closer is whats silly. Had he signed he would have played a far greater role than Cogs will. I've already stated how special I think Oshie is, so it's not really homerism in the literal sense. Obviously I'm a huge fan of Oshies, but does that take away from his accomplishments? Does that mean he's not what I'm saying he is? Cogs is a good prospect, but there are several guys like him available every draft. What I am suggesting is that Oshie is the very special player that teams look for every year and never come up with hence the comment about Cogs shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Oshie. I think it's pretty obvious two years after the '05 draft who the better prospect is in this case. Oshie would have been the top PKer for the Blues this year easily. He also would undoubtedly have been seeing some serious PP time as well. He can play in any situation and any role at a high level and his versatility alone makes him better than Cogs. Oshie is a guy that has such a solid overall game he would have recieved more special teams time than any current Blues forward and would have been a good bet to lead Blues forwards in TOI his ROOKIE SEASON. The only reason he wouldn't put up a PPG is being a victim of his own versatility and getting stuck being the catalyst on a slumping scoring line or being a scoring threat on a checking or energy line. The Blues planned on utilizing his versatility by plugging him in where ever he was currently needed to bolster any weaknesses. That's quite a bit of responsibility for a young guy and certainly more than the Oilers expected from Cogs playing on one of the top 2 scoring lines.

Guys like Cogs are available every draft while guys like Oshie are very few and far between. This is why there is no comparison. Time will tell of course, but at this point it is obvious who the better prospect is.

Wow I didn't know that much was expected of Oshie this year. I've got him in my keeper league. Where did you hear how the Blues were planning on using Oshie? - interview with Murray - or some talk radio guy?

Klaus*

I haven't followed Oshie too closely; but I hope for your sake he doesn't bust because I'll be sure to give you a friendly reminder that you hyped him to become the second coming of Christ ;)

From what I have seen of him Oshie looks like he will become a very good player in the NHL and he'll do a lot of things that will stand out. Can't really say more than that.

Still happy as hell with Cogliano as he has exceeded all expectations so far and has been a stud on the PK and ES.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
Wow I didn't know that much was expected of Oshie this year. I've got him in my keeper league. Where did you hear how the Blues were planning on using Oshie? - interview with Murray - or some talk radio guy?

It's really just a "read between the lines" kind of deal. The Blues were drooling at the thought of getting him in the fold this year with MacInnis,Kekalainen and Davidson all publicly stating their desire to get him signed. That says a lot considering the rules the NCAA has regarding tampering with a player that hasn't informed his college team he's officially leaving. They said as much as they could say without tampering. Kekalainen never praises prospects, always saying this guy needs to do this and that guy needs to do that to improve. He's quite possibly the hardest guy in the league this side of David Conte to impress. But with Oshie, Kekalainen has nothing but praise. Again this is not a guy known to over promote or even praise a prospect. Before developement camp started, the Blues decided to invite Oshies UND linemate Ryan Duncan ostensibly because he won the Hobey and is a pretty good player. Then when Chris Porter turned down an ELC from the Hawks the Blues inked him to their own ELC, another former teammate of Oshies at UND. With the Porter signing the Blues were essentially replacing an org. need when they decided they needed a johnny hustle to replace former Badger Ryan MacMurchy in their long term plans. So this signing made sense but was also another incentive to Oshie to forget his pact with UND teammates and turn pro. The Blues knew well ahead of time what T.J.'s intentions were but thought they could change his mind. I have no evidence to back this up but it is my belief that the Blues brass(specifically JD) asked Erik Johnson to approach T.J. and change his mind. The reason I say this is an interview with EJ during D-camp by Rene Knott where he was asked jokingly if he tried to convince Oshie to turn pro and he sheepishly said yes he had and that T.J. was dead set on going back to UND. The way EJ answered so sheepishly leads me to believe he knew T.J.'s answer ahead of time AND had been put in an uncomfortable position by a higher up. In other words, I got the impression he never wanted to ask T.J. in the first place and that he was prompted to ask it. The kicker was JD's reaction to Oshie turning down his ELC. He remarked in an offhand and flippant manner that the Blues would just have to win a Cup without him(very pissy for JD) or something to that effect but that they would fly the contract to where ever Oshie happened to be at the time if he would sign. All these factors and the Blues org. need at center would have made Oshie a lock even though he's a natural RW. When you have a player that versatile and who is known as much for his hustle and physical play as he is for his skills and hockey sense, you can plug him in anywhere. IMO The Blues wanted him as a cheap option to upgrade their forwards with the obvious bonus of being able to play him in several different roles. Sorry for the long and convoluted answer but I wanted to give as many examples as possible. For the record, I have followed the Blues VERY closely over the last 14 years and have seen numerous interviews with most of the Blues top decision makers in that time. Once you know the standard answers and general attitudes of these guys it's not too hard to read between the lines.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
I haven't followed Oshie too closely; but I hope for your sake he doesn't bust because I'll be sure to give you a friendly reminder that you hyped him to become the second coming of Christ ;)

From what I have seen of him Oshie looks like he will become a very good player in the NHL and he'll do a lot of things that will stand out. Can't really say more than that.

Still happy as hell with Cogliano as he has exceeded all expectations so far and has been a stud on the PK and ES.

LOL,I'm quite possibly(definately) the biggest Oshie cheerleader out there Klaus and it's funny you mention the Christ thing because on another thread I called him Gods other kid.

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton

Your stating these things as facts, for all you know Oshie may come to the NHL level and find the game to tough, and maybe he won't be able to keep up. Not saying that will happen, but it's very much a possibility, thats the advantage with Cogs right now, he's doing things at the NHL level, Oshie isn't. Thats a fact.

I also have to disagree with you, players like Cogliano do not come around everydraft. He has blinding speed, with very good playmaking and finishing ability. I wish players like that would come around every draft, so the Oilers could pick them up. Not saying Cogliano is a generational player, though, so don't get me wrong.

And no, it's not. Because they both hae te potentional to be ery good players at the NHL level, and at this point one of them is closer then the other, while for all we know the other one could jump over him next year. [Or never catch up...]

Spoke

Sep 4, 2007
Calgary
Oshie doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Cogliano.

No matter how much of a promising prospect Oshie is, he isn't an NHL player at this time.

Playing a dominate game in the NCAA doesn't mean anything till you take it to the next level.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Your stating these things as facts, for all you know Oshie may come to the NHL level and find the game to tough, and maybe he won't be able to keep up. Not saying that will happen, but it's very much a possibility, thats the advantage with Cogs right now, he's doing things at the NHL level, Oshie isn't. Thats a fact.
I'll tell you with absolute certainty that had Oshie signed, he would have had to play his way off the team - and there's 4 Blues executives and a head coach who are convinced that, barring some unfortunate accident, he would have made the opening night roster. Period.

I do find it humorous that there are people who thought Oshie was a bad pick in 2005 and still think he's going to struggle mightily in the NHL [if he makes it at all], despite everything he's shown in college. That crowd has thinned out quite a bit over the last 2+ years, but there's still quite a few naysayers ... and some of us on the other side can't help but laugh about it.

Oshie doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Cogliano.

No matter how much of a promising prospect Oshie is, he isn't an NHL player at this time.

Playing a dominate game in the NCAA doesn't mean anything till you take it to the next level.
Replace "Oshie" with "Stamkos", "Tavares", "van Reimsdyk", and so forth and so on - and then ask how much sense that statement really makes.

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
I'll tell you with absolute certainty that had Oshie signed, he would have had to play his way off the team - and there's 4 Blues executives and a head coach who are convinced that, barring some unfortunate accident, he would have made the opening night roster. Period.

I do find it humorous that there are people who thought Oshie was a bad pick in 2005 and still think he's going to struggle mightily in the NHL [if he makes it at all], despite everything he's shown in college. That crowd has thinned out quite a bit over the last 2+ years, but there's still quite a few naysayers ... and some of us on the other side can't help but laugh about it.

Replace "Oshie" with "Stamkos", "Tavares", "van Reimsdyk", and so forth and so on - and then ask how much sense that statement really makes.

Don't get me wrong, I' not saying either player is better. I'm just saying that MANY players who seemed to be blue-hip prospects struggled in he NHL. I'm sure one or two of them were like Oshie. I'm also sure alot of them were like Cogliano, but what I'm saying is at this point:

Cogliano = NHL, and producing o soe extent.
Oshie = Not NHL, when both were drafted in the same year.

This is clearly one point Oshie is beaten by Cogliano. For all I know, Oshie is the next big player in the NHL, but he isn't in the NHL right now and Cogliano is.
So to say that Cogliano should not be mentioned in the same sentance as Oshie, well, some of us on the other side can't help laugh about that. :)

Also, thats not fair, because Oshie had an oppertunity to come to the NHL, no? And him and Cogliano were drafted in the same draft.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
So Cogliano is in the NHL, and Oshie isn't ... and? This diminishes what Oshie did in his first 2 years, how? This makes Cogliano automatically better, why? Should I also logically conclude that Oshie is somehow inferior to Michael Blunden [taken 43rd in 2005] because Blunden has played in the NHL but Oshie hasn't?

If Oshie wasn't in the NCAA, then you could argue apples to apples. If Oshie had wanted to jump and the Blues had told him to go back, it would also be one thing. However, he is in the NCAA and he made the decision to go back while the Blues wanted him to come on out - so drawing any kind of logical conclusion between Cogliano and Oshie based on who is and who isn't in the NHL is automatically flawed. Furthermore, just as you or anyone else might like to diminish Oshie's NHL potential, I can similarly point to a long list of players who made the NHL in their first year and had decent seasons, and went on to do little after that ... but I'm not about to suggest that Cogliano is going to end up like that.

How do you know that Cogliano isn't a guy who looks good now but is going to struggle to have a good NHL career? Answer: you don't, just as I and everyone else who thinks Oshie is going to be a hell of an NHL player can't say for certain that he will. However, I wouldn't dream of talking down Kyle Turris or James vanRiemsdyk because David Perron is in the NHL and Turris and vanRiemsdyk aren't. I'd prefer to [gasp!] actually let those guys have a fair chance to hit the NHL before leaping to conclusions.

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
So Cogliano is in the NHL, and Oshie isn't ... and? This diminishes what Oshie did in his first 2 years, how? This makes Cogliano automatically better, why? Should I also logically conclude that Oshie is somehow inferior to Michael Blunden [taken 43rd in 2005] because Blunden has played in the NHL but Oshie hasn't?

If Oshie wasn't in the NCAA, then you could argue apples to apples. If Oshie had wanted to jump and the Blues had told him to go back, it would also be one thing. However, he is in the NCAA and he made the decision to go back while the Blues wanted him to come on out - so drawing any kind of logical conclusion between Cogliano and Oshie based on who is and who isn't in the NHL is automatically flawed. Furthermore, just as you or anyone else might like to diminish Oshie's NHL potential, I can similarly point to a long list of players who made the NHL in their first year and had decent seasons, and went on to do little after that ... but I'm not about to suggest that Cogliano is going to end up like that.

How do you know that Cogliano isn't a guy who looks good now but is going to struggle to have a good NHL career? Answer: you don't, just as I and everyone else who thinks Oshie is going to be a hell of an NHL player can't say for certain that he will. However, I wouldn't dream of talking down Kyle Turris or James vanRiemsdyk because David Perron is in the NHL and Turris and vanRiemsdyk aren't. I'd prefer to [gasp!] actually let those guys have a fair chance to hit the NHL before leaping to conclusions.

I am not saying this makes Cogliano better, ALL I'm saying is that for the time being when it comes to who has proven more in the NHL level Cogliano wins that battle. And no, I don't know whether or not Cogliano will keep doing what he is doing, or stall from where he is, just like I don't know yet who is be better. The only point I'm trying to make is that Cogliano has beaten Oshie, SO FAR, in one area in their devlopement, and thats what they have proven in the NHL.

Where have I made ANY claims trying to "diminish Oshie's NHL potential". I said, Oshie or all I know Oshie might be the next big young gun in the NHL, how is that diminishing Oshie's NHL potential? Truth is, I don't know as much about the guy as you do, but I do know that Cogliano has sucessfully taken the first step, while Oshie has not. [Or has CHOSEN not to.] I am in no way trying to tell you what Oshie will and will not become, I'm just telling you my opinion on who has come farther at this point.

Like I said, Osie may ery well jump Cogliano next year, but at this point Coliano is ahead. I'm not jumping to conclusions, or atlest I'm trying not to. Anyway, I assume your one of the older members on the forum, well, truth is you probably know alot more about Hockey then me, I just really started liking it 2 years ago, when i finished grade 7, and your opinion is more experienced then mine, but I TRULY think that I am right when it comes to this.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
I am not saying this makes Cogliano better, ALL I'm saying is that for the time being when it comes to who has proven more in the NHL level Cogliano wins that battle. And no, I don't know whether or not Cogliano will keep doing what he is doing, or stall from where he is, just like I don't know yet who is be better. The only point I'm trying to make is that Cogliano has beaten Oshie, SO FAR, in one area in their devlopement, and thats what they have proven in the NHL.

Where have I made ANY claims trying to "diminish Oshie's NHL potential". I said, Oshie or all I know Oshie might be the next big young gun in the NHL, how is that diminishing Oshie's NHL potential? Truth is, I don't know as much about the guy as you do, but I do know that Cogliano has sucessfully taken the first step, while Oshie has not. [Or has CHOSEN not to.] I am in no way trying to tell you what Oshie will and will not become, I'm just telling you my opinion on who has come farther at this point.

Like I said, Osie may ery well jump Cogliano next year, but at this point Coliano is ahead. I'm not jumping to conclusions, or atlest I'm trying not to. Anyway, I assume your one of the older members on the forum, well, truth is you probably know alot more about Hockey then me, I just really started liking it 2 years ago, when i finished grade 7, and your opinion is more experienced then mine, but I TRULY think that I am right when it comes to this.

Kind of hard for Oshie to "prove it" when he turned down his ELC. Just because Cogs signed his ELC and Oshie didn't doesn't mean Cogs is somehow better. As for who has come farther at this point progression wise it is definately Oshie, and that is a fact. Choose to ignore it if you want. You said you were relatively new to hockey and young to boot so let me give you some insight as to why veteran fans like players like Oshie so much. The guys like Oshie who display intangibles and maturity beyond their years are rarities. Not to mention that traits like these are usually reserved for johnny hustle type grinders who have had to work very hard to compete at the top levels. While guys with a lot of skill often get by on that skill and don't learn the value of hard work early in their pro careers. It comes back to bite them most of the time. Oshie is the engine that drives the Sioux in all facets of the game. He goes all out every shift and is their offensive catalyst. He has been their top PKer for all three years he has played at UND. He is excellent defensively because of his hockey sense and reads. He can play on a scoring, checking or energy line with equal aplomb. He can play center or wing, though he's probably a better winger with his outstanding forechecking skills. He has an innate sense of timing for physical play again reminiscent of a dedicated grinder. He hits very hard. All of this and he's still showing us new wrinkles to his game. Simply put, he's about as safe a bet as you will find to be succesfull in the NHL. That's why people like myself, Irish and many others find it laughable when people suggest he could still bust. Hope this helps to explain why some of us are so excited about him.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The bolded phrase speaks volumes. By your own admission, you have maybe 2 years of experience watching this sport, but have formed an opinion and are ready to impress it on everyone else ... so yes, you have jumped to a conclusion.

No thanks - I'll take my 15+ years of following this sport and the comments I've gathered along the way from people who've watched guys play in high school, major juniors, and college and give it [considerably] more weight - and even then, I'd prefer to actually let both guys play on the same stage for more than 2 years before leaping to any conclusions.

Guy Flaming

Two fantastic prospects in my opinion, guys that every team in the league would be happier than hell to have in their system.

Who can really predict who'll be a better player 10 years from now? If Cogliano turns into Steve Sullivan (good comparison actually) and Oshie is Paul Kariya (fair comaprison? I don't know)... great for both! Is one really that much better than the other?

All I know is EDM and STL are ecstatic to have the players they have and for good reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad