Cogliano lighting it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Oilers got one awsome player in Cogliano...if he would have played in the OHL last year I think he would have been up with the names of Ryan, Johnson, Brule, Pouliot. I really think he has the best offensive talent outside Crosby from this draft.

Oilers prospect pool is really building up with Robbie Schremp, Andrew Cogliano, Marc-Antoine Pouliot, Jaques, Syvret, Dubnyk, Deslairers, Trukhno, Stortini, Niinimaki. Man this team is looking good for the future.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Esp if you take into account that he went scoreless for his first 3 or 4 games. He was still finding out how to adjust his talents to the NCAA. So that is 15 points in his last 5/6 games. Not bad at all. This kid could be a player...

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
s7ark said:
Esp if you take into account that he went scoreless for his first 3 or 4 games. He was still finding out how to adjust his talents to the NCAA. So that is 15 points in his last 5/6 games. Not bad at all. This kid could be a player...

Does he have more than Kessel?

Cogs just keeps scoring no matter where he is!

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
HabLover said:
Does he have more than Kessel?

Cogs just keeps scoring no matter where he is!

Kessel has 4G and 4A in 8 games this year. Solid start as well.

But yeah Cogs is the highest scoring freshmen so far this year.

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
Cogs was scoreless his first three games, so his 15 points have come in the last six games. Tied for fifth in the nation in points. He's really been smokin' since those first few games.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Cogs and Kessel make for a very interesting comparison. Three years ago, at the age of 16, many hockey pundits had Cogs rated ahead of Kessel but Cogs decision to pursue the tier II path pushed him from the limelight. He seems to be back now with a vengeance and his play seems to be suggesting that perhaps the pundits were on the mark after all.

I have seen Cogs play on a couple of occasions but my assessment of him was always tempered by the fact that he was playing with and against "inferior" competition (I hate to use that term because there are many many fine players in the OPJHL but it is a step below from what the NTDP plays against) but one thing that was evident was his pure speed. It was every bit as explosive, heck probably more explosive than Kessel's! The only thing I think Kessel has over him is his shot but Cogs, who is a bit smaller, plays a lot bigger than Kessel.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I always thought Cogliano was a top 10 pick. Seriously, he reminds me of a more offensive Mike Cammalleri! As if that's possible!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Leachmeister2000 said:
I always thought Cogliano was a top 10 pick. Seriously, he reminds me of a more offensive Mike Cammalleri! As if that's possible!
good comparison, but cogs has a ton more speed and is a better passer and he also is a bit bigger as well.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
Cogs, that's my boy...he'll put up points at every level because he's a world class talent with world class speed and it's beyond me how he was as undervalued as he was in the 05 draft...Kessel is going to be a star, I think, but there's probably not a lot to choose between him and Cogs. Both great players. Good for Cogs. He's a great kid from a great family and he deserves to do well.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
BobMckenzie said:
Cogs, that's my boy...he'll put up points at every level because he's a world class talent with world class speed and it's beyond me how he was as undervalued as he was in the 05 draft...Kessel is going to be a star, I think, but there's probably not a lot to choose between him and Cogs. Both great players. Good for Cogs. He's a great kid from a great family and he deserves to do well.
Since you have seen him, is he more like Gionta or Kariya in terms of style.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
i knew his speed would translate well, his skills are too great to not have a positive effect on any team he plays. i hate to say it, but i called that. I had him at grabbed him #8 overall in my keeper league, friends think im crazy, but we'll see.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
Jason MacIsaac said:
Since you have seen him, is he more like Gionta or Kariya in terms of style.

Of those two, he's more like Kariya than Gionta, but I'm not sure he's really like either of them. Not the pure finisher that Kariya is, but Cogs will still get his goals. Best part of his game, outside of the world class speed, is his vision and playmaking ability, but like I said he's a good goal scorer too. He's at his very best when he does all of that and goes hard on the puck, sticks his nose in there. He's a better open ice player (go figure, with all that speed) but he has the ability get involved, win battles and compete as hard as, say, Brent Sutter would expect a player to compete, and when he does that, then it's, Wow! Not big but strong, low centre of gravity, very explosive not just with his speed but his strength too. If you haven't figured it out yet, I really like him. :D

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
scoutman1 said:
Oilers got one awsome player in Cogliano...if he would have played in the OHL last year I think he would have been up with the names of Ryan, Johnson, Brule, Pouliot. I really think he has the best offensive talent outside Crosby from this draft.

Oilers prospect pool is really building up with Robbie Schremp, Andrew Cogliano, Marc-Antoine Pouliot, Jaques, Syvret, Dubnyk, Deslairers, Trukhno, Stortini, Niinimaki. Man this team is looking good for the future.

Please subtract Niinimaki from that list as he's a waste of HF board space!!!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
BobMckenzie said:

:amazed: Is all I have to say to that comment!!! For him to even be considered in that class considering his draft position and Kessel's projected draft position. Truly amazing, between Cogliano and Schremp the Oilers skill up front will be greatly improved in the near future. Do you see Cogs leaving college early to pursue his NHL career???

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
BobMckenzie said:

Completely OT... I tried to send this as a PM, but your account was full (no real suprise there).

The entire lacrosse community thanks you for the article you wrote on Rick Passfield on tsn.ca

I got to meet him in my last year of junior (his first), and the kid was incredible. We were both riding the pine that game, and as luck would have it, we were on the same side of the bench and spent most of the game chatting it up... and he had a fan in me from that day onward.

He was a great kid, and it's unthinkable about what happened to him... but your article was an incredible boost to the spirits of an entire lacrosse community in a time of need.

Thanks...

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Just the mention of Cogliano in the same breath as Kessel got me looking around to find the stats for a comparison.

Phil Kessel 6-0 190lbs. 10/2/87 8gp. 4-4-8
Andrew Cogliano 5-10 185lbs. 6/14/87 9gp. 7-8-15

I didn't realize that less than 4 months seperated these two's age. At least from a statistical standpoint Cogs does compare with Kessel. It would be great if they went head to head in the WJC's.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Bryanbryoil said:
Just the mention of Cogliano in the same breath as Kessel got me looking around to find the stats for a comparison.

I didn't realize that less than 4 months seperated these two's age. At least from a statistical standpoint Cogs does compare with Kessel. It would be great if they went head to head in the WJC's.

If Cogs was a late B-day like Kessel he would surely be a top 5 pick right now!

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
HabLover said:

Interesting comments for sure. As an Oiler fan, I have to admit that I've been so mezmorized by Schremp's hot start that Cogliano's escaped me. Between Cogs, Robbie and MAP, I wonder who has the highest ceiling.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Sunny Mouhamed said:
Interesting comments for sure. As an Oiler fan, I have to admit that I've been so mezmorized by Schremp's hot start that Cogliano's escaped me. Between Cogs, Robbie and MAP, I wonder who has the highest ceiling.

1. Schremp
2. Cogs

3. MAP

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
HabLover said:
I doubt it, Parise was tearing the NCAA way more then Cogliano after opting out of his original draft year and he still went closer to 20 in a strong draft.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Bryanbryoil said:

I'd be interested to see how Kessel would be fairing on Michigan right now. I've seen every Gopher game, and while it's clear Kessel isn't as prolific points-wise early on as I would have thought, his teammates have botched several gimmes off of his passes. I think once the team as a whole gets it together Kessel's numbers will jump considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad