Coffey traded for Carson (Jan. 1993) -- What was L.A. thinking?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
A lot of Kings trades snowballed badly. The Sandstrom trade seemed to be a difference-maker for Gretzky's play. He didn't respond well to being on a team that was selling.

It truly did. It's quite comical to see how many failed wingers the Kings would experiment with alongside Gretzky after Sandstrom was dealt.

They tried a slew of well traveled journeymen ranging from Rob Brown to Randy Burridge and Dan Currie. Rick Tocchet was dealt for an even more broken down Kevin Stevens who also got to play with Gretzky for a short while before Gretzky's tenure in LA came to an end.

The last couple of linemates he had that were actually fun to watch had Wayne centering Vitali Yachmenev and Dmitri Khristich.

Prowling for Goals : King Wing Vitali Yachmenev Has Gone From Chasing Burglars to Being Chased by Defensemen as One of the NHL's Top Rookies
On the ice, there is very little misunderstanding when Yachmenev and Gretzky are together. Gretzky has assisted on every one of Yachmenev's team-leading 11 goals. Starting the season on Gretzky's line clearly has boosted Yachmenev's rookie-of-the-year chances.

pixel.gif

It has been an unusual season in that no rookie has taken a commanding lead. Yachmenev is tied with Ottawa right wing Daniel Alfredsson for the league's rookie scoring race at 23 points. Alfredsson has 10 goals and 13 assists in 29 games; Yachmenev has 11 goals and 12 assists in 31 games. Other rookies with a viable chance for the Calder Trophy include Chicago's Eric Daze, the Islanders' Todd Bertuzzi and Montreal's Saku Koivu.

"It would be nice," Yachmenev, 20, said. "I just try to do my best."

Winning the Calder would mean a $50,000 bonus to supplement his $305,000 salary. Certainly, his presence as one of the elite rookies has come as a welcome revelation for the Kings. The only King to be named rookie of the year was Luc Robitaille after the 1986-87 season, when Robitaille had 45 goals and 84 points, 38 points after 31 games.

Even locally, the preseason focus centered more on King defenseman Aki Berg and Mighty Duck center Chad Kilger. Yachmenev was the Kings' third-round selection (59th overall) in the 1994 entry draft. The team's first two picks were goaltender Jamie Storr and developing enforcer Matt Johnson.

Yachmenev, 20, had a stunning NHL start, with 10 goals and 20 points in his first 19 games, including four goals and six points in the first three games. But, like the rest of the Kings, Yachmenev has all but disappeared offensively in the last month. He has only one goal and three points in the last 12 games.

"He's still getting the chances," King Coach Larry Robinson said. "But everyone knows him now and is watching him closely. It's not like he's not going to the net. I don't get the feeling he's a streaky scorer. Every game he's getting his chances.

"I'm certainly not disappointed in him."

Said Yachmenev: "I'm not thinking about how many points I'm getting. We have had a few chances."

Robinson has been trying a variety of line combinations and has split up Khristich, Gretzky and Yachmenev. Against Ottawa on Wednesday, he kept Khristich and Yachmenev together with Yanic Perreault centering them and put Gretzky on a line with wings Tony Granato and Tocchet.

Of course, Yachmenev would fade into obscurity after Gretzky was dealt and he didn't have the best playmaker in the game setting him up any longer.

Reactions: blogofmike

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
A lot of Kings trades snowballed badly. The Sandstrom trade seemed to be a difference-maker for Gretzky's play. He didn't respond well to being on a team that was selling.

The strangest thing about throwing in Sandstrom - as if he wasn't a valuable piece - in order to re-acquire McSorely with a steep mark up is this: McSorely never wanted to leave Los Angeles in the first place.

Reactions: GB and blogofmike

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The aspect of the Sandstrom inclusion that I missed at the time was that he was threatening to return to Sweden to finish up his career.

McSorley Feels Like a King : Hockey: Trade brings him back to the team he helped spark to Stanley Cup finals. Sandstrom, McEachern go to Penguins.

Sandstrom, who had 17 goals and 41 points in 51 games, became expendable almost from the moment he decided to play out his option this season. He was making $1.3 million this season and the Kings risked losing him to Europe for nothing in return next season.

But he stuck around for another five seasons.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
The aspect of the Sandstrom inclusion that I missed at the time was that he was threatening to return to Sweden to finish up his career.

McSorley Feels Like a King : Hockey: Trade brings him back to the team he helped spark to Stanley Cup finals. Sandstrom, McEachern go to Penguins.

But he stuck around for another five seasons.

Yet Nicholls bought a home in LA shortly before being dealt and was heartbroken over becoming a Ranger. He was buds with Gretzky. A fan favorite. Assisted Darryl Sutter with powerplay pointers for the Cup champion Kings. Nicholls is a Kings lifer. Vachon doesn't get ripped enough for that trade.

Nicholls and Sandstrom both had their final point-per-game season in '95-'96.
Nicholls was nearly 35 years old and Sandstrom was 31. They both retired from the NHL three years later.

Interview With LA Kings Legend Bernie Nicholls - Page 2 of 3 - CaliSports News

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
you know, speaking of comparing hockey players to lebron, at the time and for many years later i always thought of gretzky as too much like lebron has been: playing GM, making unwise personnel decisions more often than not.

but from this thread and others, i think maybe the real culprit wasn't gretzky's cronyism (at least not solely), nor was it necessarily bad GMing (again, at least not solely). it's not going all the way with gretzky's ringers, or going all the way the other way. and what resulted from it was a lot of hesitation, mulligans, and too much roster turnover where they kept stealing from marty to pay luc (and vice versa).

but were the seeds there to build a real contender, maybe even cup winner?

donnelly gretzky krushelnyski
robitaille nicholls kurri
rychel conacher taylor
kontos millen kudelski

coffey blake
zhitnik mcsorley
sydor huddy

hrudey
stauber

that's a really good defense, maybe stronger yet if you also manage to hold on to jay wells for insurance (he was traded for crossman, who was a throw-in to the hrudey trade). the goaltending is still the goaltending but i don't see enough depth up front to upgrade on him with. as it stands, you're still playing gretzky with relative garbage, just not nearly as stinky garbage (krusher and donnelly did, tbf, combine for 48 goals, 108 points in the regular season, and 9 goals, 23 points in the playoffs).

but hey, if kontos and kudelski can kill it with expansion teams in 1994, maybe they can chip in a few goals in very sheltered minutes with little corey millen between them.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Reactions: GB and blogofmike

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Pretty much, one of a series of trades that led a younger version of me to jump on the Devils bandwagon in 94.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad