Kings Video: Coffee with Bob: The Angry Lombardi Edition

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
wow...i like the fire. completely agree, was not a good regular season, numbers are fine but the team lost something on the way to the playoffs.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
They simply stopped playing good hockey.

Then they couldn't pull out of the nose dive they created.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Talk Talk Talk

He deserves all the credit in the world for building what they were, and all the blame for turning them into what they currently are. Literally every move since Martinez scored against Lundqvist has been a disaster with exception of Lecavalier.

Let's see how quickly he can rebuild this thing while he still has two Top 10 players in the world in the prime of their careers.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
This is EXACTLY what I wanted to see from Lombardi

Not sure if that's fair. Were you thinking he was satisfied with last year at any point since the end of last year before seeing this video?

Talk Talk Talk

He deserves all the credit in the world for building what they were, and all the blame for turning them into what they currently are. Literally every move since Martinez scored against Lundqvist has been a disaster with exception of Lecavalier.

Let's see how quickly he can rebuild this thing while he still has two Top 10 players in the world in the prime of their careers.

Not sure if this is all fair either. He was trying to quickly rebuild this thing over the last 2 years, and the Sekera and Lucic moves, two of the mentioned disasters, were the quick attempt.

It's tough with the cap. One mistake, ok, you can maybe work around it. Brown is a $6m 11 goal scorer. Gaborik misses 25 games per year. They lost Voynov for nothing, and nobody is giving away any sort of potential replacement. He believed in the myth of Mike Richards.

Live by the cap, die by the cap. Without the cap, the Flyers don't get rid of Carter or Richards. They just sign Bryzgalov to a crazy contract, have those other two guys, and end up with Weber.

Now the Kings have all these large contracts, are all 2 years older with 1 playoff win to show for it, and can't get rid of anyone that people would actually want to see gone. They could trade Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, Toffoli, Pearson, maybe Carter. Nobody can absorb Kopitar's contract without giving you big contracts back, which would defeat the purpose. Nobody needs a $6m goalie. Nobody needs Brown or Gaborik.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
How can you not love Deano?

i'm just reassessing the Gaborik deal as we speak

would any of us seriously give Mr Glass such a long contract?

(insert counter-argument here) yes yes i know, i know, but still! it's the most obvious no-no deal out there

even Brown i get it

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
i'm just reassessing the Gaborik deal as we speak

would any of us seriously give Mr Glass such a long contract?

(insert counter-argument here) yes yes i know, i know, but still! it's the most obvious no-no deal out there

even Brown i get it

There's not a GM in the world that lets Gaborik walk after the 2014 playoffs. It's bad luck on the timing, just like Brown's deal. If Brown gets the new contract in 2014, instead of 2013, maybe it's not as bad. 2015, instead of 2013, certainly not as bad. If Gaborik doesn't have 14 goals in the playoffs, or the Kings go out quietly to the Sharks, he doesn't get that contract.

It all comes back around to Brown in some form or fashion. His lack of production in 13-14 required getting Gaborik. Brown's huge raise after that season required signing Gaborik to a longer deal to keep the cap hit lower. Last year, Lucic was what the Kings have needed Brown to be. They can't keep Lucic in part because of Brown's contract. Now they have to pay Toffoli probably somewhere around $6m, while having Brown at $6m, and having Gaborik at $5m. How many wingers can you pay when you also have $15m tied up in your top 2 centers?

Brown, Richards, Voynov. What happened with those 3 guys, is what hinders the Kings. Lombardi's loyalty too, but even if he bought Richards out for free, he's still looking for a center, winger, and defenseman if Brown and Voynov go down the same path. He got out from under Richards eventually, but he'd have an extra $1.5m to play with if he did it in June 2014. Doubt he expected just 2 good years for giving up Simmonds and Schenn though. Worth it for 2012, but 2 years ends up not being a long time.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I would say Gaborik has a fairly higher chance of retiring before his contract is up due to injury than other players, so at least there's that.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
People can question Lombardi's moves after the 2014 cup till the cows come home. But whether right or wrong in hindsight, I don't blame him one bit. When the iron is hot, you have to strike. We went decades without winning a cup, and just won two in three years. He had to go for that third cup, no matter the cost. I think its fine that he took risks for two years, but has now learned that this team is not one piece away from a cup. Honestly, other than not signing Sekera, I would do exactly what DL did the past two years.

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Still say Brown lost a lot after messing up his knee.
2012–13 Los Angeles Kings NHL 46 18 11 29 22
He almost had as many goals in the shortened season as he had in all of 2011-2012. His contract wasn't looking bad at all, then came the Blackhawks series.

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
Lombardis season was also a disaster.
That Lucic trade was a major failure and so are Lombardis decisions since the Kings won the Cup in 2014.

In addition to the roster results evaluation, DL staff should also get the same failure grades...

Just sayin'

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
The Lucic trade will always be an atrocity. Sekera is understandable, but to trade for a winger when we had a glaring hole in the top 4 D (and 3C, though that was addressed with Lecavalier) was short sighted. I will say Voynov threw a wrench in everything and potentially robbed this team of a 3rd Cup.

member 88115

The Lucic trade will always be an atrocity. Sekera is understandable, but to trade for a winger when we had a glaring hole in the top 4 D (and 3C, though that was addressed with Lecavalier) was short sighted. I will say Voynov threw a wrench in everything and potentially robbed this team of a 3rd Cup.
I was short sighted like Lombardi on the Lucic trade (cause i loved the idea of a bad ass on our top 6), but getting a top 4 D-men was/is the thing to do. Sekeras left and our Lombardi put his eggs on McNabb to make the jump into the top 4. And its not McNabbs fault he had to fill such big shoes, since is was only playing his second season.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Poor Bob didnt expect that response. Sort of awkward moment but loved Deans response.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Poor Bob didnt expect that response. Sort of awkward moment but loved Deans response.

the pain is still very raw and real it seems. I cant help but think about Brown being stripped of his C when Deaner is talking about failure, losing a 14 point lead in the division and blowing a 3 goal lead in the last game of the season. Dean sounds totally disgusted :laugh:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
the pain is still very raw and real it seems. I cant help but think about Brown being stripped of his C when Deaner is talking about failure, losing a 14 point lead in the division and blowing a 3 goal lead in the last game of the season. Dean sounds totally disgusted :laugh:

I don't think he was pointing the finger at Brown, more to the entire team and coaches. I think he was more pissed at the coaches for letting it get to that point. Sutter is at the top of the list as far as I'm concerned with his "division titles don't matter, only playoffs" attitude.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Is it just me or does it come across a little theatrical? Lombardi would have a rough idea of what questions might be thrown his way before the interview (if not the actual questions). To me it seems like he's just telling us what we want to hear. Don't get me wrong, he's awesome, but this feels a little staged to me.

He just needs to rip his shirt off and start talking about his little hulkamaniacs to finish it off :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad