Coffee/espresso thread

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Discuss your favorite brand of coffee, your preferred method of making it

I'll start: I'm a big fan of Tim Horton's regular coffee ground and I make it using an Aeropress

Nothing fancy. Put ground in aeropress, add hot water, give it a stir, wait a minute, give it another stir, then press it into my coffee cup and enjoy

I have been thinking about getting a cheap espresso machine, drinking a good espresso first thing in the morning is one of the things I miss about pre-lockdown life

explore

Jun 28, 2011
giphy.gif

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
rfjfhtl6ocae0o9xjwx1.png

one of my favs. my gaggia broke in supreme Italian fashion, so i'm just using a nespresso atm while i figure out what to do next. but can't wait to get back on the novo train.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Jones-332-Coffee-Madison-Blend_900x.jpg

My morning pot of coffee comes via either pour-over (Chemex) or, more likely, my cafe-style Bunn drip. Plenty of quality roasters on the west coast, but I'm pretty loyal to my local coffee shop. Not only do they roast their own beans, but anything coming from Guatemala was grown by them too. One of the few roasters where I thoroughly enjoy most of their blends, rather than going directly for a specific region.

I'm not above brewing a flavored Dunkin Donuts coffee either, but when I'm drinking an entire pot of something I want to thoroughly enjoy it. Suffering from chronic fatigue means even my doctors understand my caffeine addiction :laugh:

The worst thing about being in isolation is losing out on my coffee shop routine...it's taken 11 months to figure out how to be as productive from home as at a coffee shop.

Reactions: explore

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
Beans from a local place called Undergrounds Coffee in the Old First Ward (Highly recommend if you are in the 716)

Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill

Chemex Pour Over 8 Cup

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Powder: Borbone, Lavazza qualità rossa, Illy

Beans: Pellini N.9, Pellini N.82, Lavazza crema e gusto

explore

Jun 28, 2011
Powder: Borbone, Lavazza qualità rossa, Illy

Beans: Pellini N.9, Pellini N.82, Lavazza crema e gusto

Big fan of Illy grind.

iu

I'm opening up my can of Lavazza Espresso tomorrow since I'm finished with my Tim Horton's grind

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
Found this on sale at the grocery store one day, it's just about the only coffee blend I can be bothered to remember

810WlsjXrwL._SL1500_.jpg

inb4 someone says it's the cheapest and vilest shit ever

explore

Jun 28, 2011
Curious on how much it cost. Give a chance too to"qualità rossa" by Lavazza

Lavazza espresso is regular priced for 8 oz coffee (around $5-$7) Illy on the other hand is comparably costly ($13-$14 for 8 oz)

I don't think I've ever seen Lavazza qualita rossa in the grocery store, I'll have to check the next time I go.

Found this on sale at the grocery store one day, it's just about the only coffee blend I can be bothered to remember

810WlsjXrwL._SL1500_.jpg

inb4 someone says it's the cheapest and vilest shit ever

I don't know about the particular flavor, but I've never heard anyone disparge Eight O'Clock coffee before

Reactions: Sega Dreamcast

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
Lavazza espresso is regular priced for 8 oz coffee (around $5-$7) Illy on the other hand is comparably costly ($13-$14 for 8 oz)

I don't think I've ever seen Lavazza qualita rossa in the grocery store, I'll have to check the next time I go.

I don't know about the particular flavor, but I've never heard anyone disparge Eight O'Clock coffee before

we've got a whole range of lavazza's including QR at my local store

lavazza has always made an average cup of espresso on my home machines though. they're great when i'm in Amsterdam at -20ft below sea-level, but something about the altitude in denver really f***s the stuff up i think.

Reactions: Incubajerks

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma

lavazza has always made an average cup of espresso on my home machines though. they're great when i'm in Amsterdam at -20ft below sea-level, but something about the altitude in denver really f***s the stuff up i think.

It could also be water that is the most important thing for a coffee. Altitude certainly has its weight. Try "arabica" rather than "robusta". What water do you use?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
whatever it is, it wont be anything @RayP uses. Guy butt pees 4 times a day and I have a feeling its the coffee hes using. Must be that stuff that has actual shit in it.

Reactions: RayP

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
It could also be water that is the most important thing for a coffee. Altitude certainly has its weight. Try "arabica" rather than "robusta". What water do you use?

i usually don't go too crazy, just have a gallon of purified water at any given time. I'll use the filtered fridge water in a pinch, and haven't noticed a taste difference between the two

i just use tap water for the pot brewing. purified for the espresso/nespresso machine(s)

Reactions: Incubajerks

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
that gaggia I had was just really picky and finicky. the illy espresso tasted consistently good, but it was difficult to pack properly and occasionally the machine wouldn't be able to pull through (which is f***ing ridiculous for a $500 17.5bar piece of hardware). lavazza had a much better draw but never tasted to my liking.

i just like a more sour experience. Novo was the only one that worked how i wanted every time. I probably need to get serious one of these days with a really nice machine to get what I want

explore

Jun 28, 2011

I had Lavazza this morning and I agree about it being underwhelming. It has a bold flavor, but it has a weird aftertaste at the end (I can't remember if I'd describe it as bitter or sour, but it was unwelcome)

I used a different scoop for the coffee this morning, so I'll try again tomorrow with my regular measured scoop to see if I may have just used too much grind

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
i usually don't go too crazy, just have a gallon of purified water at any given time. I'll use the filtered fridge water in a pinch, and haven't noticed a taste difference between the two

i just use tap water for the pot brewing. purified for the espresso/nespresso machine(s)

Have you ever tried to use natural mineral water from any glass bottle? Give a try in case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->