Cody Hodgson the top pick in Vancouver Canucks' 2008 draft class

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
It's a seven, not four month difference anyway. Closer to one year than zero.

Sorry, it is about 6.5 months, which is also pretty close to the time Hodgson missed due to his back injury. In fact, in terms of development, one could make a convincing argument that Hodgson lost more than that amount of time given the severity of the injury.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
You can't say that unless you can show GA in 10 game intervals for all players going back some years.

True, though even going back to the 30 games he's played in a Buffalo uniform he's still on a pace that would crack 100 GA in a season which is more than what any forward has done in the last several years.

That's not to say he's solely or even primarily responsible for those horrific numbers, but they can't be ignored either.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Another funny stat: the Canucks' entire top 6 combined has only been on the ice for 2 more ES GA than Hodgson alone has been on for.

Cody has been on for 19 goals. Our entire team has given up 20 goals, 9 of which were PK goals. Cody's ES GA/game (15 iirc) is nearly 1.5 times the canucks ES GA/game. That's per game not per minute.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

It's also 1 season of hockey. That matters more than age unless were are talking about physically/mentally underdeveloped 18 yos vs 17 yos vs 16yos.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Cody has been on for 19 goals. Our entire team has given up 20 goals, 9 of which were PK goals. Cody's ES GAA is 1.5 times the canucks ES GAA.

Cody has been on for 13 5v5 Goals For, and our entire team has scored 13.

Am I doing it right? Again, there are hundreds of ways to look at numbers.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Cody has been on for 13 5v5 Goals For, and our entire team has scored 13.

Am I doing it right? Again, there are hundreds of ways to look at numbers.

Can score points. Can't play defense. End of story.

If he accepted his defense was weak and was prepared to become a 2-way player (aka Schroeder) he'd have served his time in the AHL becoming a rounder player. If Hodgson didn't have such a big head he'd be one hell of player.

The problem facing Buffalo is do you pay Hodgson as a PPG player ($5m/year) or not? Cody should be 30-30-60 player 1C, maybe 30-40-70 with the right partners. However if he won't improve his defense and he gets bumped down lines (Grigorenko etc) then defense is going to matter because his linemates won't be able to put up ppg+ to cover his defects. $5m/year for a 2/3C that can't play D?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
You mean a 12-game sample size in the USHL isn't enough to go off the board in the first round? Topsy-turvy world!

To be fair, CSS had him at 23rd for NA skaters. It's a bad pick, but it's not like they picked me or something.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Can score points. Can't play defense. End of story.

If he accepted his defense was weak and was prepared to become a 2-way player (aka Schroeder) he'd have served his time in the AHL becoming a rounder player. If Hodgson didn't have such a big head he'd be one hell of player.

The problem facing Buffalo is do you pay Hodgson as a PPG player ($5m/year) or not? Cody should be 30-30-60 player 1C, maybe 30-40-70 with the right partners. However if he won't improve his defense and he gets bumped down lines (Grigorenko etc) then defense is going to matter because his linemates won't be able to put up ppg+ to cover his defects. $5m/year for a 2/3C that can't play D?

Our problems have been scoring goals (playoffs especially). While we have a better goalie than Buffalo does so you would think that would give us a bit more of an advantage as Luongo could cover for some of those mistake.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Our problems have been scoring goals (playoffs especially). While we have a better goalie than Buffalo does so you would think that would give us a bit more of an advantage as Luongo could cover for some of those mistake.

He has 10 points to Vanek's 19. Do you really think he's the one driving play on that line?

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Clearly, the kid has some warts to his game. Most young players do. What I can't stand is the way some "fans" turned on this player the second he was traded.

There is a campaign to basically label the kid as a soft, useless floater simply because he doesn't play here anymore.

There are some hard feelings about how he left, but we don't even know the entire story, who asked for more ice-time, who demanded a trade, etc. It seems there were issues between the team and his camp, but this is not unprecedented, and in my opinion, not the fault of the player alone.

There seems to be a sense that the coach and manager can do no wrong and anybody that dares question their infinite wisdom is some sort of contrarian crackpot. I reject this notion utterly.

This is from somebody who *likes* Kassian. The kid is rapidly moving up to "favourite player" territory. I said it in another post, but an ideal situation for me would be to have both Hodgson and Kassian.

If the trade works out for both teams, that's great, and we don't need to knock one player to elevate another.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
@Alan Jackson: I presume you don't know what his agent was saying on Twitter?

I personally feel that since he was clamoring for more ice time to the point that it became an issue with the GM & then when he finally gets the ice time he wants he can't keep up at all (which was probably the reason he wasn't getting more ice time) that we can comment on in as we want to. That we can be critical of him because he thought he knew better then our coaches/people in charge of player development.

If you want the TOI so bad I expect you to be able to handle it. If he can't handle the defensive responsibility of a top 6 player then imo you can't handle top 6 minutes. Maybe he should have bided his time, learned to play in all 3 zones from some great defensive players & earned his ice time instead of it being handed to him.

:dunno:

Pretty much this.

And even if it was a one-month difference, I think a direct comparison isn't accurate anyway. Like me2 said, the difference is still one season of hockey.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Anyone have a comparison of Schroeder's and Hodgson's face-off percentages on hand?

This year? 42.2 (CH) vs 42.8 (JS). This year to last year? 46.3 (CH) vs 42.8 (JS). The difference between them 7 games into the season (last year to this year) is 3 faceoffs won in favour of Hodgson. Schroeder's starts have been a little less sheltered than Hodgson's were so he has gone up against some top players a few more times than Cody did last season.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Having your centre be a mess in his own zone is more of a problem than just having a goalie that can "cover mistakes." You end up having to get him away from certain match-ups, which puts the game in the hands of the other team's coach. You end up playing more time in your own zone, which increases shift length for everyone on the ice, and also increases time chasing around and working defensively, which takes a lot out of players. You usually take more icing calls in desperation, which does all of these things even worse.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
@Alan Jackson: I presume you don't know what his agent was saying on Twitter?

His agent. It seems like his agent/parents were a pain the ass. It's not necessarily a reflection on the player.

Some very respected hockey people have nothing but great things to say about this player's character.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
His agent. It seems like his agent/parents were a pain the ass. It's not necessarily a reflection on the player.
The agent works for him; not the other way around. Cody could've told his agent to 'knock it off' or told his Dad to stay out of his business. He's not a child but an adult.

Course, this is all speculation; we probably won't ever know the real story. Maybe all of this was pure fabrication. Maybe none of it.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Trade for Vanek and Pominville. Vanek-Schroeder-Pominville 3rd line would be awesome.

Some very respected hockey people have nothing but great things to say about this player's character.

I don't buy that. Just because he's a great guy doesn't mean he wasn't unhappy with a minor NHL role/working hard to develop and NHL game in the AHL. Whether the agent/parents overstepped the mark they would have been working from what Cody was saying to them.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Gary Roberts came to his defense. Who's obviously biased. Cherry hasn't even acknowledged him for a long time and used to be a big supporter.

Hrudey ripped him.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Course, this is all speculation; we probably won't ever know the real story. Maybe all of this was pure fabrication. Maybe none of it.

True, but to some it's not speculation, but direct evidence that Cody Hodgson is a nazi who kills puppies.

There's as much evidence that he's a good kid as there is that he's an entitled brat.

It's clear that there was a fractured relationship between the player and club, and it's also clear the player needed to tell the people around him that they're not helping his career.

We'll never know the whole truth, but I wish Hodgson well. He was a player I liked and hoped would be a Canuck for a long time.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
True, but to some it's not speculation, but direct evidence that Cody Hodgson is a nazi who kills puppies.

There's as much evidence that he's a good kid as there is that he's an entitled brat.

Quantity wise, sure. But when you are talking about his behaviour (extended by agent and dad), vs the norms of the hockey culture? Not even close. He's done far more to have people (including Friedman) question him or his camp than he's done to distinguish himself as a humble player, much like other modest prospects, making it the bigs. It's just not even close.

It's clear that there was a fractured relationship between the player and club, and it's also clear the player needed to tell the people around him that they're not helping his career.

We'll never know the whole truth, but I wish Hodgson well. He was a player I liked and hoped would be a Canuck for a long time.

I liked him too, which makes the news about his entitlement/fractured relationship with the club all the more shocking. I cannot respect this aspect in a player. His character is rightly questioned IMO.

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
I can't stand people suddenly turning on Hodgson after he was traded and ******** on him and saying he is such a terrible player, get rid of your biases people.

JA

I honestly thought it was a respectable decision for him not to discuss personally why he was traded rather than to tell everyone and criticize the team. Others from his camp spoke on his behalf, and the organization provided their side of the story. Ultimately, while Cody seemed intent on simply moving on and keeping quiet about the situation, there was a war of words between the two sides. Unfortunately, as fans seem to favor the Canucks' side of the story on most occasions, people accepted Gillis' words without much question.

It's a shame he has been depicted in such a negative light by the organization and the media. It seems he tried his best not to say anything negative about the team when given an opportunity to, which is something I feel should be commended. When he returned to Vancouver the week after he was traded and was interviewed by Scott Oake, Cody did his best to deflect the question, as it was inappropriate and would have only caused conflict.

He did the right thing. The team came out subsequently and made slanderous comments about him, which I don't think were appropriate to discuss even if there was an issue between the organization and the player.

arsmaster*

He stared into the camera and lied.

We know his dad is a politician. Apple didn't fall far.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I can't stand people suddenly turning on Hodgson after he was traded and ******** on him and saying he is such a terrible player, get rid of your biases people.

First off, people will always change their opinions based on new information. It's asinine to expect people to not have a different view of a player once more is learned about his attitude and relationship with the team.

And even if Hodgson was never traded I can guarantee you people would still be talking about him being on the ice for 2 GA/G if he was still on the Canucks. The Sedins and Ehrhoff got roasted for the number of goals they gave up during the 2011 run to the SCF and Hodgson would be no different, especially given that his numbers are nearly twice as bad and he doesn't have a track record of solid play to put the numbers in context.

You didn't hear much about Hodgson's defensive deficiencies last year because the Canucks made a point of sheltering him to avoid getting exposed. Now that he's getting the ice time he thinks he deserves we're seeing the results defensively and people are going to comment on him being #1 in the league for GA among forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad