Cody Hodgson Documentary

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
A new documentary coming out about Cody Hodgson and the rare genetic disorder that ended his career. Explains a lot about his struggles and retirement after a promising start.
Ex-Canuck Cody Hodgson releasing documentary about genetic disorder that ended his NHL career

A year ago, Hodgson revealed to Sportsnet he was diagnosed with malignant hyperthermia, caused by a genetic mutation of the RYR-1 gene. In his case affects his muscular system and seems to be triggered by prolonged exercise.
Doctors had told him he couldn’t play anymore.
His final season was a literal struggle, he says in the trailer for the documentary.
“I was having trouble breathing i was blacking out and my muscles were extremely tight. My whole body was just shaking,” he says.
Now, he’s partnered with the RYR-1 Foundation and created a documentary about the disorder, and says he’s looking to raise awareness about it. The documentary will get its first screening in Toronto in early December.

Reactions: Hampe

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Such a shame ! I still remember that WJC where he was Canadas best player even with the likes of Tavares on the team.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
yeah i actually thought cody hodgson was going to be really good

He was. 34 points in 48 games in the lockout season, meaning he was on pace for around 65 points in a normal season. Then he went 44 points in 72 games the next season. He had the production of a solid second line centre. If the condition is the reason for his steep decline, then his last two seasons make sense.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I'm surprised at how far he made it in a sport with that disorder, he was literally getting worse the harder he worked :eek:

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Never heard of it before so he has already made a difference.

Good on him.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
here is an example of where sometimes people on this site (including myself) dump on a guy without realising there was something going on
I did that myself as well. Hodgson actually dealt with the whole thing really professionally. He always struck me as future captain material.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I did that myself as well. Hodgson actually dealt with the whole thing really professionally. He always struck me as future captain material.

I was one of many people who questioned a lot about the guy. Sounds like the problems started in Vancouver and them and a few other teams had no idea what was going on

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I was one of many people who questioned a lot about the guy. Sounds like the problems started in Vancouver and them and a few other teams had no idea what was going on

There were those problems early on also in his stint in Vancouver with some kind of misdiagnosed back injury that made a substantial crack in the relationship between Hodgson and the Canucks coach/management group.

I thought already then though, around the Kassian (really mediocre player, that is) trade, that a lot of fans of the team were unnecessary hard on him without perhaps having all the information (not like I thought he had this type of disease/disorder though). A lot of people thought he was just an entitled brat with a pressuring (Toronto based) hockey dad demanding top 6 ice time without having earned it.

Hodgson's issues with the speed game had become painfully obvious at the end of his tenure in VAN and it was pretty clear at that point in time that he wouldn't become a total package player, there or anywhere, because speed (or a quick step) really isn't something you buy at the local grocery store. And even when he put up some points with Vanek/Pominville in Buffalo at the beginning of his tenure there it really didn't look like he had turned a serious corner because nothing in his game had really changed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->