Cody Franson

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
He's the real deal. At 6'5 and 215lbs he skates well, is offensive minded, has an NHL calibre pass and shot. His defensive zone coverage is excellent. He tends to block a lot of shots and break up odd man rushes with his willingness to go down and shut down passing lanes. His only liabilities is he tends to get beat wide on rushes by fast skating forwards due to his lateral movement/pivots and sometimes get caught flat footed in the neutral zone. He needs to increase his physical play on a consistent basis. He is not soft but does not play as physical as he should for a guy his size.
On the PP he is used for his cannon of a shot that usually gets on net. His rotation on the PP is also excellent as he often slides backdoor behind the defenders.
On the PK he is used regularly on 5-3 situations and is good at blocking the goal mouth pass.
All in all, a well rounded player who has a decent shot at a top 4 spot in the AHL next year. His future looks bright.

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
From what I've seen of him in a couple trips out west to visit family I would have to say he has an outside shot at cracking the Pred's next season. He isn't overly physical no but has the ability to deliver excellent open ice hits.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
What team doesn't need a 6'5" 215lbs defenseman that can skate and pass?

I like Lehtonen and all but he can be replaced. In five years our defense will be.

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Franson
Parent-Laakso/Klein

That is potentially a pretty impressive defense...

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
Pretty impressive? If those guys turnout anything like there supposed it should be one of the best in the league.

Franson is an amazing dman. Easily the best in the WHL and probably a top four on this years WJ team.
I say his best attribute is his passing but there isn't much he doesn't do well

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Pretty impressive? If those guys turnout anything like there supposed it should be one of the best in the league.

Franson is an amazing dman. Easily the best in the WHL and probably a top four on this years WJ team.
I say his best attribute is his passing but there isn't much he doesn't do well

he won't be a top 4 dman on the WJC team, Bourdon-Letang and Stall-Parent will be ahead of him, if Franson makes the team he'll be paired with Russell on the 3rd pairing.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Sent down...

What if Bourdon stays up?

Luc got sent back down on Nov 8/06. He just wasn't quite ready. Not a bad thing given that Staal and Parent are back in the OHL this year.

The Canadian WJ Team has 5/7 guys from last year. Staal and Parent will anchor the shut down pair. Bourdon and Letang will anchor pairing 2. Leaving Russell to pair with a guy like Franson.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
Denis Kulyash

Don't forget Russian Denis Kulyash!
6'2" 200 pounds and an Al McInnis like slap shot. I believe if Nashville fails to sign him by June, he becomes a UFA and they won't let that happen.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
6'2" 200 pounds and an Al McInnis like slap shot. I believe if Nashville fails to sign him by June, he becomes a UFA and they won't let that happen.

Talking with Slitty a few days ago ... he said Kulyash leaves a lot to be desired on the defensive side of the puck

Zoo

Jul 29, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
What team doesn't need a 6'5" 215lbs defenseman that can skate and pass?

I like Lehtonen and all but he can be replaced. In five years our defense will be.

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Franson
Parent-Laakso/Klein

Damn that is deep, plus Zidlicky and Timonen have plenty of hockey left in the tank. I hope Shero can pinch one when its all said and done.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Damn that is deep, plus Zidlicky and Timonen have plenty of hockey left in the tank. I hope Shero can pinch one when its all said and done.

As a Laakso fan, I wouldn't mind seeing him playing in the same team as Crosby, Malkin and Staal...

But I would imagine that even as Laakso might be one of the easiest to get, he would probably be last on Shero's list as well being probably the least NHL ready and having the least potential in the eyes of many NHL GMs... then again he has played with adults for two full seasons after this one, so he might be more ready than most people think and even when it comes to potential, I would put him above Klein, maybe even Weber in the long run and offensively above Parent (yes, I'm talking about pure potential here, nothing else)

That explains why we didn't see him at Karjala Cup playing for Team Russia (or is he injured?). I was expecting to see him...

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Cody Franson along with Ryan Parent, and Kevin Klein probably could have made a lot of NHL rosters out of camp this year just Not Nashville's. BTW Franson is tied for 4th in the WHL in scoring including forwards:bow:
politics may be the only reason he doesn't make Canada's World Jr team this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->