Cody Eakin

bloggerfanthe*

What do you think Eakin's potential is and when do you think he will be in the Caps lineup? I see him spending time in the AHL for a year and making the jump.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Eakin was probably the most well rounded player in the CHL last year. I could see him splitting time with the Caps and Hershey next season. He is ready for the the NHL, but the Caps will most likely want him to get as much ice as possible.

As for his potential I think 50-60 point strong two way 2nd liner would be his ceiling.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
Eakin was probably the most well rounded player in the CHL last year. I could see him splitting time with the Caps and Hershey next season. He is ready for the the NHL, but the Caps will most likely want him to get as much ice as possible.

As for his potential I think 50-60 point strong two way 2nd liner would be his ceiling.

You can say he was the most well rounded player in the WHL because you watch the WHL. But not the CHL there could of been better players in the OHL or the Quebec league. Also in the WHL he did not lead the league in anything Vey was the leading scorer. Was he up for any awards?

I wish everyone would just comment on what they know. If they watch the WHL do not assume that the players in the WHL are the best in the CHL. Same goes for people watching the OHL maybe there are better players in the Quebec league.

Just comment on what you know not what you read.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He was very impressive in the Caps' camps last year, and lasted an awfully long time at training camp. Management and coahces agreed he was very difficult to cut from the team, even at age 19. He was the second to last round of cuts.

He was far less impressive at development camp a couple weeks ago, but admitted to not being in perfect shape. He was also being matched up against an older, more experienced, and bigger player in Mattias Sjogren almost constantly. The Sjogren vs. Eakin battle certainly seemed to be intentional, as the two will likely battle for one of the last roster spots with Capitals. Sjogren seems to have the edge at this point, but we still have rookie camp and training camp to go.

My gut tells me his spends almost all of his time in the AHL this season, barring an incredible TC/pre-season. Probably gets a cup of coffee as an injury call-up at some point, but the Capitals also have several other "fringe players" in their system (Perreault, Hanson, Bourque, Aucoin) who could also see time as injury call-ups. It depends on how he's playing in Hershey and what the Caps need at the NHL level.

His odds improve much more for 2012-2013, as he'll obviously have completed his first professional season and the Caps have several forwards as pending UFAs (Semin, Knuble, Chimera, Halpern, King) and a couple more as RFAs (Beagle, Perreault, Hanson). He'll likely have to battle against Sjogren, Beagle, and Perreault for a spot once again as well as the potential for Kuznetsov to make the jump to North America, but he should definitely see some NHL action.

Last edited:

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
He's a long shot to make the Caps out of camp (not impossible though) but he should get a decent amount of time as a callup this season if he plays at the level he's capable of.

Upside is so tough to say though. I've seen people that have tracked his stats and ended up comparing him to Talbot. At the time of the draft I saw him compared to Helm.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You can say he was the most well rounded player in the WHL because you watch the WHL. But not the CHL there could of been better players in the OHL or the Quebec league. Also in the WHL he did not lead the league in anything Vey was the leading scorer. Was he up for any awards?

While he didn't win any formal awards, Eakin was a top 3 finisher in several "Best of the East" categories in the WHL this past season.

Best Pro Prospect (Drafted or Undrafted)?

1) Brayden Schenn - Saskatoon
2) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Red Deer
3) Cody Eakin - Kootenay

Top Face-off Man?

1) Cody Eakin - Kootenay
2) Brayden Schenn - Saskatoon
3) Wacey Hamilton - Medicine Hat

Best Skater?

1) Cody Eakin - Kootenay
2) Emerson Etem - Medicine Hat
3) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Red Deer/Quinton Howden - Moose Jaw (Tie)

Opposing Player You Most Respect?

2) Cody Eakin - Kootenay
3) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Red Deer

In fact, even in 2010 he registered in two categories.

Top Face-off Man
1. Carter Bancks — Lethbridge
2. Brayden Schenn — Brandon
3. Cody Eakin — Swift Current

Best Skater
1. Cody Eakin — Swift Current
2. Brandon Kozun — Calgary
3. Matt Calvert — Brandon

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
While he didn't win any formal awards, Eakin was a top 3 finisher in several "Best of the East" categories in the WHL this past season.

Best Pro Prospect (Drafted or Undrafted)?

2) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Red Deer
3) Cody Eakin - Kootenay

Top Face-off Man?

1) Cody Eakin - Kootenay
2) Brayden Schenn - Saskatoon
3) Wacey Hamilton - Medicine Hat

Best Skater?

1) Cody Eakin - Kootenay
2) Emerson Etem - Medicine Hat
3) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Red Deer/Quinton Howden - Moose Jaw (Tie)

Opposing Player You Most Respect?

2) Cody Eakin - Kootenay
3) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Red Deer

In fact, even in 2010 he registered in two categories.

Top Face-off Man
1. Carter Bancks — Lethbridge
2. Brayden Schenn — Brandon
3. Cody Eakin — Swift Current

Best Skater

So that is 50% of the WHL. No OHL or Quebec league. that is what i am saying please just comment on the WHL if that is what you watch.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Think he will be a brandon sitter type, maybe slightly less productive.

I'd be a little hesitant to make this comparisson at this point, especially given the Sjogren vs. Eakin battle we saw at the Caps development camp. Sutter is listed at 6'3" while Eakin is listed at 5'11". Eakin had issues dealing with a bigger player (Sjogren 6'2") during dev camp, so I wouldn't count on him being able to play like Sutter in the NHL. He can do that against Juniors and maybe against some of the guys in the AHL, but I doubt he can against NHL talent. I think he's going to have to rely on his speed more than size in the NHL, but it's possible he has a growth spurt and fills out more.

Currently I'd say Eakin projects as a better winger than center at the NHL level, but we'll see.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB

Best Skater

Kozun and Calvert weren't even in the WHL this past season....

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
So that is 50% of the WHL. No OHL or Quebec league. that is what i am saying please just comment on the WHL if that is what you watch.

Which leagues do you watch? And what player in those leagues do you consider the most well rounded player?

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
Which leagues do you watch? And what player in those leagues do you consider the most well rounded player?

I watch the OHL and i would never say who is the "most well rounded player".

There are lots of things to look at. Galchenyuk was the best 16 year old in the OHL. Strome was the best 17 year old. Toffoli was the best 18 year old. Ellis was the best 19 year old. Akeson was the best 20 year old.

Ellis was voted best overall player in the OHL and he also won the best in the CHL. Toffoli was second in the voting in the OHL and Hison was third in the voting.

So if you asked who was the best in the OHL it has to be Ellis then Toffoli and Hison after him.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
Way to not read my entire post.

The last two were from 2010, as I mentioned in my post.

To be fair, I read it, tried commenting, then noticed. THEN tried to delete, refreshed page and my comment wasn't there.... and I come back and my comment re-appeared.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Love his game and think he will see some time in the NHL next year. I think he has the game to play on either the 2nd or 3rd line. He's an amazing checker with an elite level ability to read the play and pick off pucks in the defensive zone or the backcheck. Those smarts will help him out big time as he makes the transition. He also has the skills to be an offensive player, maybe not on the Caps though because of their depth.

Theron

#beauty
Jul 19, 2007
Burlington, Ontario
yeah its too bad he's on the caps (with their C depth) unless he converts to wing.. god I'd kill for the Leafs to land him..

I watched a lot of eakin last year. Swifty>Ice>Wjc>Memcup - kid has amazing talent and determination. He was a one man show most nights and carried the Ice to the championship. Had a great WJC, and decent memorial cup run.

I really think he's gonna be good 2 way player.. I imagine he'll see majority of his time in hershey this year though..

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
I watch the OHL and i would never say who is the "most well rounded player".

There are lots of things to look at. Galchenyuk was the best 16 year old in the OHL. Strome was the best 17 year old. Toffoli was the best 18 year old. Ellis was the best 19 year old. Akeson was the best 20 year old

Ellis was voted best overall player in the OHL and he also won the best in the CHL. Toffoli was second in the voting in the OHL and Hison was third in the voting.

So if you asked who was the best in the OHL it has to be Ellis then Toffoli and Hison after him.

Buddy, you have no idea. Just because I am a huge follower of the dub doesn't mean I don't know anything about the other leagues. Just because you won't comment on who is the most complete player doesn't mean other people can't express their opinions. Grow up.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
yeah its too bad he's on the caps (with their C depth) unless he converts to wing.. god I'd kill for the Leafs to land him..

I watched a lot of eakin last year. Swifty>Ice>Wjc>Memcup - kid has amazing talent and determination. He was a one man show most nights and carried the Ice to the championship. Had a great WJC, and decent memorial cup run.

I really think he's gonna be good 2 way player.. I imagine he'll see majority of his time in hershey this year though..

Oh, I don't know. The Caps aren't so stacked at center as all that. Within the next 18 months, there ought to be some excellent chances for Eakin to carve out a role for himself on the second, third or fourth lines. Only the #1 center slot is truly ironclad right now. There are opportunities galore for a center in the Caps' system. Laich is a center when there isn't a better option. They would much rather have the luxury of playing him at wing.

Could Eakin be competing with the likes of Kuznetsov in time? Perhaps, but that is in the future. Sjogren is a more immediate wild card, and the summer prospect camp at least seemed to indicate that playing for part of the year in the AHL against physically-mature players could benefit Eakin.

Yet in the long run, Washington is not a bad spot for a center prospect. It's an area of relative organizational weakness, for a team styling itself a contender.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
Oh, I don't know. The Caps aren't so stacked at center as all that. Within the next 18 months, there ought to be some excellent chances for Eakin to carve out a role for himself on the second, third or fourth lines. Only the #1 center slot is truly ironclad right now. There are opportunities galore for a center in the Caps' system. Laich is a center when there isn't a better option. They would much rather have the luxury of playing him at wing.

Could Eakin be competing with the likes of Kuznetsov in time? Perhaps, but that is in the future. Sjogren is a more immediate wild card, and the summer prospect camp at least seemed to indicate that playing for part of the year in the AHL against physically-mature players could benefit Eakin.

Yet in the long run, Washington is not a bad spot for a center prospect. It's an area of relative organizational weakness, for a team styling itself a contender.

I'm not sure about that.

The Capitals have Backstrom and Johansson looks to be a good bet to become the second line center. Add Kuznetsov to that mix. Eakin has his chance, but it will clearly not be an easy task.

Obviously we're talking about NHL. Nobody has an easy task here...

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm not sure about that.

The Capitals have Backstrom and Johansson looks to be a good bet to become the second line center. Add Kuznetsov to that mix. Eakin has his chance, but it will clearly not be an easy task.

Obviously we're talking about NHL. Nobody has an easy task here...

If Johansson does in fact become the second line center, Kuznetsov ends up on the wing. No way he plays 3C for the Capitals. That opens a potential spot for Cody Eakin as 3C down the line.

There are a lot of ways the situation could shake out. Laich, Kuznetsov, and Eakin have all played wing at various points. Kuzy and Eakin were both wingers a the WJC. Johansson has even seen a little bit of time at RW when the Caps needed a shake-up. And Galiev, who's behind Eakin developmentally at this point, could see time as either C or W as well.

In a couple years, I'm betting it looks something like:
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Brouwer/Laich
Brouwer/Laich/Eakin - Johansson - Kuznetsov
UFA/trade - Laich/Eakin - Ward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->