Cody Eakin upside

Kershaw

Cody Eakin made huge strides when he got traded to Kootenay. He was hovering around the 2.0 PPG mark and he looked impressive with Canada in the WJC. What is his upside and could he make the Capitals roster this year?

Dutchy

Aug 16, 2003
Montréal, Québec, Ca

KingJet*

He will easily replace Brooks Laich, he'll be better than him later

R S

Sep 18, 2006
2nd liner who could score 30-40 goals, kill penalties and play on a powerplay. Seriously underrated prospect. The scary thing is that he is just as good away from the puck as he is with the puck. Datsyuk-like defensive plays on a regular basis.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
2nd liner who could score 30-40 goals, kill penalties and play on a powerplay. Seriously underrated prospect. The scary thing is that he is just as good away from the puck as he is with the puck. Datsyuk-like defensive plays on a regular basis.

This.

This kid is a fantastic, fantastic player. Does it all and has iincredible offensive skills, along with an all-around game. I see him as a Daniel Affredsson-type player. He may not score 50 goals or 100 points, but he could be a consistent 70-90 point guy, and may end up comprisong one-third of one of the best lines in hocley.

To put it another way, if that draft were re-done, he would go top 15 or 18 picks.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Seriously? You see Eakin as a top 2 line guy w/ exceptional defense? That's great if so. I'm a little skeptical but that'd be huge for the Caps depth if he becomes that special.

I had him pegged at a solid 3rd liner who will get some plumber goals here and there--and I was happy with that.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Seriously? You see Eakin as a top 2 line guy w/ exceptional defense? That's great if so. I'm a little skeptical but that'd be huge for the Caps depth if he becomes that special.

I had him pegged at a solid 3rd liner who will get some plumber goals here and there--and I was happy with that.

As his upside? Yes. As in his TOP END.

If he doesn't reach it, he's a very solid 3rd line player that will be better offensively and defensively than most 3rd liners.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I agree with his upside being a 2nd liner as mentioned above, however in seeing him play alot this season I have questions about how well his offensive game will transfer. Time will prove or disprove that theory.

At any rate, he has all the tangibles to be a top 6 or bottom 6 forward in the NHL. He does have a booming shot, blazing speed, and is a strong physical player. He competes hard, wins battles, and certainly looks to be a very good prospect.

It will be interesting to see how he does in his first year as a pro. I'll definitely be watching him and hoping he does well.

pokerface1

Sep 16, 2010
I agree with his upside being a 2nd liner as mentioned above, however in seeing him play alot this season I have questions about how well his offensive game will transfer. Time will prove or disprove that theory.

What did u see that made you question whether his offensive game will translate?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
What did u see that made you question whether his offensive game will translate?

I'll try to find the best way to sum it up briefly and accurately.

In my years of watching junior hockey, what I've witnessed with players like Eakin who dominate in junior is that he's doing it based entirely on his skillset. Meaning, he uses his wicked shot and speed to generate chances in junior. When he gets to the NHL level, his shot becomes just "above average" and his skating becomes just "above average" ... at that point, he has to have the offensive creativity/awareness to stay a step ahead.

This, primarily, is a big reason why a lot of guys who are considered top prospects bust. They're extremely talented, but they just don't see the game well enough to keep pace at the next level. Being a Blue Jackets fan, one player I'll mention as a victim of this is Dan Fritsche - had all the tools, just never could pull them all together in the NHL.

RogerRoeper*

In my years of watching junior hockey, what I've witnessed with players like Eakin who dominate in junior is that he's doing it based entirely on his skillset. Meaning, he uses his wicked shot and speed to generate chances in junior. When he gets to the NHL level, his shot becomes just "above average" and his skating becomes just "above average" ... at that point, he has to have the offensive creativity/awareness to stay a step ahead.

This, primarily, is a big reason why a lot of guys who are considered top prospects bust. They're extremely talented, but they just don't see the game well enough to keep pace at the next level. Being a Blue Jackets fan, one player I'll mention as a victim of this is Dan Fritsche - had all the tools, just never could pull them all together in the NHL.

This for reference use Corey Perry

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

If it helps at all, the thing that GMGM raved most about when Eakin played in the Caps camps was that the puck had a way of following him around the ice, and that his IQ was well above average. Against some NHL players, as well as all the Caps in camp, I think that's worth noting.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
If it helps at all, the thing that GMGM raved most about when Eakin played in the Caps camps was that the puck had a way of following him around the ice, and that his IQ was well above average. Against some NHL players, as well as all the Caps in camp, I think that's worth noting.

That's a fair discernment.

Like I said earlier, next year will go a long way towards proving what kind of player Eakin will be in the NHL. He's a real fun player to watch.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Thank you, gentlemen. I love to find out about Caps prospects. George McPhee, like David Poile before him, has had very little success drafting after the 1st Round. So, I've come to expect nothing from those later picks. It'll be great if Eakin changes that pattern.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad