Cody Ceci

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Muzzin plays against the other teams best lines and best players every night, it's really not a fair comparison

It's not like Ceci plays against crap either though. Even if he is not playing against top line competition anymore, those are still impressive numbers.

He has played better than expected. He has filled a tough role in at least a respectable fashion. I wish he could do more offensively so fans' attention have something to take their attention off of the times he does mess up defensively (like Gardiner), but there are so many unbearable overeactions every time Ceci messes up, and last night is just proof.

If they can get an upgrade on any of the defensemen I'm in.

Winning 3 of 4 is pretty good, and you need your keeper to make saves.

Players are going to get beat, all players are going to get beat, but the last line of defense is the goalie.

People are looking for an excuse to rag on Ceci at any point they get. People have made their minds up on him since July 1st last year. Nothing short of playing well beyond his capabilities was going to change that.

Ceci made one bad play that cost us the second goal. Did that change momentum? Yes. Should that have cost us the game? Definitely not. The team can't quit after one bad goal or misplay. Otherwise, you might as well forget the playoffs.

We need to find someone better than Hutch, and if we find the right deal to upgrade our defense, then Ceci is expendable too. That does not mean selling him for anything though. We should not give away a guy who can help a competitor or another playoff team for anything less than market value when we too are a playoff team.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Like I said if Freddy was in net for entire game we win 3-2 and no one even comments about Ceci. Sad but true and everyone knows it.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Ceci has been our most underrated defensman this season. One bad game and people jump on him. Barrie has had more bad games than Ceci has this season, I don't know why this isn't getting acknowledged.

All part of his role really.

Ceci has been solid this year but that doesnt really cut it in this city. Does his job great most nights and doesnt get any praise at all and has the odd bad game and hes been bad forever. Making the exception the rule with Ceci has been an obsession around Toronto though.

Same people seem to be crying out for a guy like Manson which makes it even stranger when you can barely tell their numbers apart.

Ceci defensive REL numbers are really good and hes on arguably the best PK pairing in the league.

I understand the cap hit and all but when guys like Barrie, Dermott and even Rielly have underperformed so poorly and yet Ceci takes the heat, I really think its more of a style issue in this town and Ceci isnt gonna score his way into any hearts either.

Not really a surprise stay at home D avoid signing here.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I rather have Gardiner then Ceci. Remember Dubas wanted to bring back Gardiner.
Gards far better player than Ceci ... Ceci better get mean and nasty really fast if he wants to stay in league. But I suspect this may be his last year unless he goes for $700K Marty type role.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Ceci gets crapped on because, similar to Gardiner, his mistakes catastrophic and cost the team severely. It doesn’t matter what his underlying numbers are if he always ****s the bed at the most inopportune times.
The difference is Gardiner easily made up for his mistakes. Ceci offers nothing offensively, so he either plays a perfect defensive game or he's a liability out there

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Ceci has been our most underrated defensman this season. One bad game and people jump on him. Barrie has had more bad games than Ceci has this season, I don't know why this isn't getting acknowledged.
Yeah, its one bad game earning this guy all of this hate. Sure it is. To answer your question, Barrie is costing about half as much against the cap as Ceci and contributing infinitely more to our offensive juggernaut. Sure he'll make a mistake or two, but he'll also make a nifty play that results in a goal once in a while. Ceci doesn't do any of that, he takes bad point shots that give possession back to the opponent and gets caught out of position routinely. He's clearly struggling to play the way this team needs its defence to play. You could see it on the one goal last night, he takes a pass from Sandin who is up at the point, then when he feels pressure he makes a blind behind the back pass to the back of his net where I guess Sandin is supposed to teleport into position? Freddy saves his panic play by directing it behind the net, but then Ceci can't win a puck battle yet again and its in the back of the net. Its not a small mistake leading to an offensive chance, its a series of huge no skill mistakes leading up to a goal being giftwrapped for the opponent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Cody Ceci is fine as a #6 d-man. Cup winning teams always have players of that level, and yes, he's made some bad mistakes, but every team has those players. There's no reason Toronto shouldn't be able to continue winning like they have under Keefe with Ceci in a role that suits him (bottom six). He's also one of the better PKers on this team, which makes him a relatively valuable asset.

However, I don't think he's significantly better than Marincin, and heck, I know we only saw one game, and a bunch of AHL action, but I definitely believe Liljegren, at least at 5v5, would be a better option. The problem with Ceci isn't that he isn't NHL calibre, or can't fulfill the role. Obviously he will have rough nights, but generally, he's been fine. The problem is he is making $4.5M to play a role worth less than $1M.

At the end of the day, he's an upgrade on Zaitsev for sure, no doubt about it, especially considering the term of their respective contracts. If we miss the playoffs it won't be because of Ceci, it will be because of the team's horrendous 2 month start to the season under Babcock. However, being able to move out his $4.5M cap hit would be a huge help, because it would open up for us the flexibility to bring in a legit RD to help us down the stretch.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
All part of his role really.

Ceci has been solid this year but that doesnt really cut it in this city. Does his job great most nights and doesnt get any praise at all and has the odd bad game and hes been bad forever. Making the exception the rule with Ceci has been an obsession around Toronto though.

Same people seem to be crying out for a guy like Manson which makes it even stranger when you can barely tell their numbers apart.

Ceci defensive REL numbers are really good and hes on arguably the best PK pairing in the league.

I understand the cap hit and all but when guys like Barrie, Dermott and even Rielly have underperformed so poorly and yet Ceci takes the heat, I really think its more of a style issue in this town and Ceci isnt gonna score his way into any hearts either.

Not really a surprise stay at home D avoid signing here.

It reminds me of the Hyman hate that Hyman got the first season and a half with the Leafs.

I think slowly more fans will realize that Ceci is actually pretty good. The one issue I have with Ceci is that sometimes he tries to do too much. When he tries to keep things simple, he has been good.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Maybe somebody else will know better but wouldn't Ceci only have about $1.5M remaining at this point in the year? There's about 61 days left in the regular season so wouldn't a team with deadline space fit him in pretty easily?

Interesting, if that's the case, I can see it as a strong possibility.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
EP9h1rkWsAE3dbG

Stats for January.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah, its one bad game earning this guy all of this hate. Sure it is. To answer your question, Barrie is costing about half as much against the cap as Ceci and contributing infinitely more to our offensive juggernaut. Sure he'll make a mistake or two, but he'll also make a nifty play that results in a goal once in a while. Ceci doesn't do any of that, he takes bad point shots that give possession back to the opponent and gets caught out of position routinely. He's clearly struggling to play the way this team needs its defence to play. You could see it on the one goal last night, he takes a pass from Sandin who is up at the point, then when he feels pressure he makes a blind behind the back pass to the back of his net where I guess Sandin is supposed to teleport into position? Freddy saves his panic play by directing it behind the net, but then Ceci can't win a puck battle yet again and its in the back of the net. Its not a small mistake leading to an offensive chance, its a series of huge no skill mistakes leading up to a goal being giftwrapped for the opponent.
Last night he cost us 1 goal against. Completely his fault.
Did he get us a goal back to make him even? He did not 2nd apple on PP but anyone could have done that really.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
It reminds me of the Hyman hate that Hyman got the first season and a half with the Leafs.

I think slowly more fans will realize that Ceci is actually pretty good. The one issue I have with Ceci is that sometimes he tries to do too much. When he tries to keep things simple, he has been good.
He was no good in Ottawa.

He is no good in Toronto.

Maybe he will be good somewhere else, not these two places.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
The issue with Ceci is twofold.

1) He's been inconsistent. When he's been good, he's a passable 5 or 6...but you can't pay 4.5 mil to a bottom pairing D-man. Conversly, when he's been bad...that cost looks even worse. And his presence is blocking Lil Tim and screwing up Sandin's development.

2) That cap hit is also blocking us from picking up a decent back up goalie.

So...we've got a fine replacement for him at fraction of the salary-who needs to play-and we could use the cap space to pick up a goalie. Why are we holding on to him? Sell him off at pennies on the dollar if we have to. We're spinning our wheels thinking he's something that he's not.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The issue with Ceci is twofold . 1) He's been inconsistent. When he's been good, he's a passable 5 or 6...but you can't pay 4.5 mil to a bottom pairing D-man. Conversly, when he's been bad...that cost looks even worse. And his presence is blocking Lil Tim and screwing up Sandin's development.

So...we've got a fine replacement for him at fraction of the salary-who needs to play-and we could use the cap space to pick up a goalie. Why are we holding on to him? Sell him off at pennies on the dollar if we have to. We're spinning our wheels thinking he's something that he's not.

Dubas and his spreadsheet say otherwise :sarcasm:

Reactions: supermann_98

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The issue with Ceci is twofold.

1) He's been inconsistent. When he's been good, he's a passable 5 or 6...but you can't pay 4.5 mil to a bottom pairing D-man. Conversly, when he's been bad...that cost looks even worse. And his presence is blocking Lil Tim and screwing up Sandin's development.

We have a GM who seems distracted by the analytics noise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad