Value of: Cody Ceci

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
**** man just give it a rest. Your takes are so obnoxious some times. They just reek of HF meme narratives. He's a 24 year old RHD that can play in the top 4. 6th round pick. OK.

Ok, he was being extreme but so are you.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
The Oilers might be able to use him as Matt Benning is struggling hard and Evan Brouchard is too young to thrust into a bunch of responsibility as a rookie.

Benning +an okay asset for Ceci with 1M retained? Benning is having a Justin Schultz moment... could bounce back with a change of scenery. I still believe he can grow into a good player, but the Oilers don't have the time or patience. Sens save money even with a bit retained.

Sekra if he would waive the NMC and his salary is insured while on the LTIR? (Not sure of either)

Not even sure Ceci is the cure for the Oilers d but suspect adding an unremarkable yet serviceable RHD would help.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Facts are not extreme. Facts are facts. Facts are, Ceci has been used as a top pair DMan for years. To say he can't play top 4 indicates to me that you have a totally memetic view of Ceci.

I don't believe that just because someone plays the minutes makes them a top 4 defenceman.

Mike Kostka used to play on the leafs first pair.

Reactions: OmniCube

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't believe that just because someone plays the minutes makes them a top 4 defenceman.

There are so many examples of D-men that have played or played a lot of top-4 minutes that absolutely shouldn't. Ceci can play top 4 minutes. Ceci shouldn't play top 4 minutes.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Okay, but Ceci is actually an NHL DMan. He's way overmatched as a #1/2, he's right in his place as a #4. Add him to a solid top 4 and he will provide 20 steady, unspectacular mins a game. The issue is that Ceci has constantly been asked to carry a top line shutdown pairing and he doesn't have the skills for that.

There are so many examples of D-men that have played or played a lot of top-4 minutes that absolutely shouldn't. Ceci can play top 4 minutes. Ceci shouldn't play top 4 minutes.

Ceci is 8th in ES + PK TOI over the last few years. THAT IS INSANE. THAT is the issue. If Ceci was 100th in TOI instead, he would look a whole lot better. People think he has failed as a 2nd pair DMan when in reality, he has failed as a #1 DMan because that's how he has been deployed since Boucher took over.

Last edited:

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Some trade ideas I've come up with...

- McCann + Petrovic for Ceci
- Kulikov + 1st/2nd for Ceci
- Mayfield + Dal Colle/2nd/3rd for Ceci
- Benning + prospect/2nd for Ceci -

Maybe he gets a bit less, maybe a bit more, but I suspect this is close to what the return would be if he is dealt.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Okay, but Ceci is actually an NHL DMan. He's way overmatched as a #1/2, he's right in his place as a #4. Add him to a solid top 4 and he will provide 20 steady, unspectacular mins a game. The issue is that Ceci has constantly been asked to carry a top line shutdown pairing and he doesn't have the skills for that.

Ceci is 8th in ES + PK TOI over the last few years. THAT IS INSANE. THAT is the issue. If Ceci was 100th in TOI instead, he would look a whole lot better. People think he has failed as a 2nd pair DMan when in reality, he has failed as a #1 DMan because that's how he has been deployed since Boucher took over.

Ya, I don't buy that. Ceci been terrible in the minutes he's played. He'll look better in lesser minutes against worse competition, but how good is he going to actually look? That's a massive leap of faith. And considering the cost of keeping Ceci's rights, why would a team give up real assets for him?

canucklehead44

Jun 28, 2015
Ottawa boy Gudbranson + 2020 2nd+ Conditional 4th for Ceci + 5th

Vancouver surrenders a 4th if they make the playoffs next season

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ottawa boy Gudbranson + 2020 2nd+ Conditional 4th for Ceci + 5th

Vancouver surrenders a 4th if they make the playoffs next season

Ceci has been better than Gudbranson, the HF hyperbole of hating on everything sens doesnt mean every player they have is worse just because he plays for Ottawa.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Ceci has been better than Gudbranson, the HF hyperbole of hating on everything sens doesnt mean every player they have is worse just because he plays for Ottawa.

I’m assuming you view Gudbranson as a negative value piece. I’m not disagreeing with you or saying I would make that trade, but Dorion might actually value Gudbranson. If he does, this probably isn’t too far off - bottom pairing DMan + tier 2 pick(s)/prospect seems like a reasonable return if we decide to move on from Ceci.

canucklehead44

Jun 28, 2015
I’m assuming you view Gudbranson as a negative value piece. I’m not disagreeing with you or saying I would make that trade, but Dorion might actually value Gudbranson. If he does, this probably isn’t too far off - bottom pairing DMan + tier 2 pick(s)/prospect seems like a reasonable return if we decide to move on from Ceci.

Gudbranson cost Vancouver a recent first round pick plus an early second - not negative value. I certainly wouldn’t make that trade again though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad