Cody Ceci sued for 8 million for freak accident

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That seems pretty standard for something like this. That’s a permanent injury. She’ll deal with it for the rest of her life, not to mention the pain and suffering plus medical bills she’s already had. This is also what insurance is for though I’m sure they’ll argue it was gross negligence and try not to cover it.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Canada certainly is, maybe not to the same extent but far more so then European countries.

Canada is easily closer to European countries than the USA. It's really not close. Lawsuits are launched over anything and everything in the US. It's like nowhere else in the world.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't Ottawa in Canada?

When someone says "The NA way of doing things", they're insinuating lawsuits are launched over everything, including things that are often their own fault. Someone getting burned to the point of needing a medically induced coma is not "everything". In the US, someone could cover themselves in that lamp fuel, set themselves on fire, and sue the fuel company for not stating on the bottle that you're not supposed to set yourself on fire with it. That wouldn't fly in Canada.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
When someone says "The NA way of doing things", they're insinuating lawsuits are launched over everything, including things that are often their own fault. Someone getting burned to the point of needing a medically induced coma is not "everything". In the US, someone could cover themselves in that lamp fuel, set themselves on fire, and sue the fuel company for not stating on the bottle that you're not supposed to set yourself on fire with it. That wouldn't fly in Canada.

Just because someone files a lawsuit, doesn't mean that it will move forward. Lawsuits get thrown out all the time.

I'm guessing more things happen in a country of over 327 million compared to one of around 37 million...

Reactions: romba

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
That seems pretty standard for something like this. That’s a permanent injury. She’ll deal with it for the rest of her life, not to mention the pain and suffering plus medical bills she’s already had. This is also what insurance is for though I’m sure they’ll argue it was gross negligence and try not to cover it.

Yeah, but if the home owner is just a regular dude, then the victim would get a hundredth of the money. Doesn't really sound fair to me, that one would get millions and another one a hundred grand for the same accident.

And I agree, I doubt the insurance will pay a cent, because they can easily say that it was negligence on the part of Cody Cecis girlfriend.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Ceci has been a human tire fire for his entire life, so it’s hard to believe that this is really the first time he’s accidentally set somebody on fire.

(My condolences go out to Hana Engel and her family. I hope she is able to complete a full recovery.)
what has ceci done in the past?

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
Yeah, she deserves something for her pain and suffering. Just lucky that the party was held by a multimillionaire, isn't it? Tough to get 8 million out of a coal miner.

I'm European so I just don't get these multi million dollar lawsuits, but whatever. You seem happy with the system, so what the hell do I know. :)
I'd bet she'd exchange that "luck" for having her skin back. But what do I know...

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
Just because someone files a lawsuit, doesn't mean that it will move forward. Lawsuits get thrown out all the time.

I'm guessing more things happen in a country of over 327 million compared to one of around 37 million...

Are you saying it's the same in every other country? Because it's not.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
How much is she realistically going to get out of that 8 million? Obviously she deserves something for her trouble, but millions seem a little excessive, no? Though that's the NA style of things I suppose.

I mean yeh all she did was get her skin burned off and possibly could have died. Give her a Gift certificate to Best Buy and call it a day, amirite?

Reactions: notsocommonsense

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
nothing lucky about this

Well, she wouldn't possibly get millions if it happened in a poor peoples home. She saw her luck and is trying to get millions. Probably won't get a lot though, because the insurance is not going to pay this. Not really an accident, but gross negligence. Doubt Ceci will pay 8 mil either, he's going to fight it hard in court.

We'll see what happens.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
I mean yeh all she did was get her skin burned off and possibly could have died. Give her a Gift certificate to Best Buy and call it a day, amirite?

Yeah, I get that, but at the same time poor people are just screwed every day, and told better luck next time. As bad or worse, but because they don't have a rich "friend" they can sue, they're left on their own. Seems a bit f***ed up, but that's just me.

HABS44

May 29, 2017
He can sue multiple players in 82 games this year for burning him to the outside, the inside, and with a simple head fake and make his money back.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I hope she gets everything she's asking for.

I can't imagine anything more painful to live through that what happened to Engel, and the injuries she suffered will never fully heal. The impact on her loved ones were immense as well, in terms of what they had to do to support her, both in time and cost.

Meanwhile, she goes on Instagram and sees Ceci and Thompsen living a picture-perfect millionaire life - getting engaged in Italy, traveling, etc.

From what some people in their "circle" have said, Ceci and Thompsen essentially cut ties with Engel a few months after the incident, because they needed to "move on". So yeah, give her the $8 million.

This wasn't even so much of an accident as an act of complete stupidity and negligence. I see no difference to this than hitting someone with your car while texting.

Reactions: romba

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
you'd think some posters in this thread would line up for traumatic burns across one third of their bodies because they can only process the part about the potential money
Yeah I had a coworker suffer serious burns while on the job a few years ago. I am sorry there is literally not enough money to make it worth it. Nobody can name a number that would be worth living through the kind of burns this women is dealing with.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
When I first started reading the write up in the OP, I assumed she had probably suffered a few minor burns, and this was just a money grab

Then I read the part about spending 3 weeks in a coma, plus the 18 hours of surgery, and thought 'okay, it's probably worse than I had imagined'

Then I Googled the images and thought 'yep, 8 million seems about right'

Not sure why Cody would be liable though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad