Cody Ceci sued for 8 million for freak accident

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
More is needed, at least under US torts law.

Just because it is his house and his party doesn't mean he is de facto liable.

Why would US law apply?

They're "common law" married and it's his property. Why wouldn't his income be at risk for something his wife did?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Okay people...no one expects her to actually get $8 million. That's the initial claim, which then gets negotiated down. You also have to put the highest possible amount in the claim, as you can always go down with your figures, but it's extremely hard to go up.

Yeah, its a negotiation. They always start with a number 2 or 3 times what the eventual number should be.

Its like kevin hayes starting with asking for 7.25 mil per year.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Im not a keyboard warrior. I havent used a keyboard since 2012.

And what you are doing is just making things up. You dont have a burned up friend. Your family lives in a cotton wool and all is good. Get of my case and stop lying!

And yeah ofcourse I would! She wasnt no where close to being burned to death! 8 mil wtf!? Every single sane person would do that! I dont want to talk about this any more. You people have you priorities so ****ed up its not even funny. You are The ones talking behind a keyboard not me. If a person comes to your door tomorrow and offers 8mil to set you on fire every single one of you hipocrits will take it. So **** off...

Im out.

I dont necessarily agree with you. But i like your style.

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
I dont necessarily agree with you. But i like your style.
Just trying to make the world a better place. Too many that get offended from anything, try to better themself with the idea of equality and justice. But in the end do it all backwards and do More harm than good with their actions and views. This thread is full of them. Makes me sick

Call me a demagogue, asshole, uninformed or what not. Truth stands

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
he's a rich hockey player.

he will have an Umbrella Liability Insurance policy for AT LEAST $10 Million.

He will be paying $0 dollars on this suit. Hell, he doesn't even have to pay to defend his actions.

But I"m sure this has been pointed out over the last 14 pages of comments.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Im not a keyboard warrior. I havent used a keyboard since 2012.

And what you are doing is just making things up. You dont have a burned up friend. Your family lives in a cotton wool and all is good. Get of my case and stop lying!

And yeah ofcourse I would! She wasnt no where close to being burned to death! 8 mil wtf!? Every single sane person would do that! I dont want to talk about this any more. You people have you priorities so ****ed up its not even funny. You are The ones talking behind a keyboard not me. If a person comes to your door tomorrow and offers 8mil to set you on fire every single one of you hypocrits will take it. So **** off...

Im out.
Yeah I got second hand embarrassment reading this one on your behalf.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I dont really care either. Its ****ed up. She doesnt deserve a penny. If others are not compensated she shouldnt either.

People getting on My case have pampered on wool and live a life of unicorns and rainbows.

Wait for the moment something terrible happens to you or your family and you dont get a dime, maybe that will hopefully show you how the world works. Peasant with a PhD out.
I can't imagine the burden of being the only human being in history to have experienced suffering.

Last edited by a moderator:

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
I broke things down claim by claim in post 286.
The $6m in lost income one is really the only one that is subjective enough to not look ridiculous against award precedents / ruling caps, and it's going to take some serious tapdancing to back up. Working in an SME I get that, go in guns blazing with optimistic projections.

The other 2.6 is largely shock & awe fluff

Great posts throughout this thread. $6 Million seems extreme - but it's nearly impossible to gauge as of now without all available data. But one with experience in the area of economic loss quantification can easily provide a limited critique to poke holes in the findings. How many years is it foreseeable to impact her salary wise, as an owner/operator, what's the fair market value of a yoga teacher for this duration -- and any other "roles" she's unable to fill i.e. marketing, general admin, etc etc), -- impact on the business since the injury (easier to ballpark numbers), any lost personal goodwill from her not being there, discount factors, and on and on.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
That's effectively a fancy version of a regular garden-variety charcoal grill, isn't it?

Accidents with ignition fluid are dime i dozen with those. You douze the coals with fluid, set it on fire. Soon enough the flame smothers down for some reason, so you the slightly drunken moron go on to squirt some more ignition fluid which hits the hot metal of the grill, and a fireball ensues. This is your usual America's Funniest Homevideos stuff. I'm sure there are plenty of precedents in the courts too, because people get hurt. A person really should know better, so it's a point for there having been negligence.

This time around the flame (also) travelled back the fluid squirt and ignited the fluid bottle effectively making it a Molotov's cocktail that accidentally got thrown at the poor woman in her apparently flammable clothes. That's very bad luck, but it's also an immediate consequence of the negligence so it's probably hard to explain away as an out-of-nowhere accident having happened.

I understand also the fireplace maker and the ethanol provider companies are named as defendants, apparently for inadequate warnings. It's obvious enough that you shouldn't pour the fluid on hot metal, so you would expect there is a warning.

In our wacky world any lack of explicit warning for such an apparent risk could even be understood as the manufacturer's statement that the usual risk is not there with this particular product and that it's safe to add this particular fluid in a hot fireplace.

"I was aware of such risk generally being there, so I carefully read the bottle before doing this. From the lack of any kind of expected warning I assumed this was safe fuel to pour on a hot burner. As the bottle ignited in my hand I was first surprised and then aghasted of the extent of the criminal negligence by the [fluid manufacturer]."

No, but it's part of their job to design a product that will mitigate risk, which they failed to do so. It's quite telling that they pulled that fireplace off the market right after this incident happened.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Why the hell was Ethanol being used for a fire pit? I use wood for that, maybe some wood fire starter JFC.

I'm not a lawyer, but what percent of these 'frivolous' type of law suits end up winning in the US? Or even settling? No law system is perfect. In the US the idea is to give everyone 'their day in court' so (in theory) the rich and powerful can't just screw poor people and say 'Good luck suing me, no judge will look at your case you poor POS'. So we let small crap be brought to court where a Judge/Jury reviews it and keeps the good lawsuits with legs to stand on, and throws out the dumb stuff.

Funny headlines "Man breaks into home, trips on wet floor and sues for lack notification" are fun to read but they go no where and the poor sap who sued now has to cover legal bills as well. When there's a hefty lawyer's fee attached it's not 'what the hell, let me sue it's like a lottery ticket ya never know'.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Why the hell was Ethanol being used for a fire pit? I use wood for that, maybe some wood fire starter JFC.

I'm not a lawyer, but what percent of these 'frivolous' type of law suits end up winning in the US? Or even settling? No law system is perfect. In the US the idea is to give everyone 'their day in court' so (in theory) the rich and powerful can't just screw poor people and say 'Good luck suing me, no judge will look at your case you poor POS'. So we let small crap be brought to court where a Judge/Jury reviews it and keeps the good lawsuits with legs to stand on, and throws out the dumb stuff.

Funny headlines "Man breaks into home, trips on wet floor and sues for lack notification" are fun to read but they go no where and the poor sap who sued now has to cover legal bills as well. When there's a hefty lawyer's fee attached it's not 'what the hell, let me sue it's like a lottery ticket ya never know'.

While I understand where your coming from, the woman was in a medically induced coma and had burns and scarring to 35% of her body...hardly a tripped on wet floor gimme money frivolous lawsuit. She has legitimate reasons for wanting compensation.

Reactions: fivesberg and romba

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I can't imagine the burden of being the only human being in history to have experienced suffering.

Nothing says "sane" like self-immolation.
I'm a little confused about how he's posting if he hasn't used a keyboard since 2012.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
While I understand where your coming from, the woman was in a medically induced coma and had burns and scarring to 35% of her body...hardly a tripped on wet floor gimme money frivolous lawsuit. She has legitimate reasons for wanting compensation.
we're in agreement. I was explaining why some frivolous types of lawsuits (NOT this one where the pain, suffering and long term damage are extensive) are allowed to be brought in the US because some ppl got excited seeing 'burn','8 million dollar lawsuit', and started eyeing their stoves and buying tickets to the US looking up rich ppl addresses.

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-22-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The idea of punitive damages in the US is exactly what it sounds like, punitive. It's to discourage negligent practices in the future or suffer massive financial loss. Without it, you'd have instances of continued negligent behavior with buy offs of victims that they can easily absorb at the perceived benefit of their negligence(like cutting corners in construction). Unfortunately, that also has the unintended consequence of ambulance chasing and frivolous lawsuits, but that's really up to judges to figure out what is and isn't true negligence.

Anyway, from everything I've ever read or seen, being a burn victim is right near the top of worst things that could happen to you and whatever she gets as restitution for this won't be enough to undo the trauma, body and mind.

Reactions: fivesberg

ItMe

Jan 4, 2017
Moral of the story....Do not host a party on your own property without having all your guest sign a liability waiver.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Your example is very misinformed and misleading. You should rather ask if the owner of the car should be liable for an accident when someone drinks and drives with his car, if the car owner himself has allowed that person to drive with his car. I can assure you that there would be liability, and most probably at least partially coverage to the damage from his traffic liability insurance. Of course in Finland this insurance is compulsory to every single registered car or any motor vehicle for that matter.

Who assembled the car? The car manufacturer.

Who assembled the setup in Cody Ceci's home? Probably Cody Ceci.

The burner probably didn't come with the house, and the refill-bottle most certainly didn't appear in the house on it's own.

Cody Ceci, or anyone else who furnished his house are in this case the closest thing to the car manufacturer, the one who assembled the ensemble that was used in a dangerous way.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Who assembled the car? The car manufacturer.

Who assembled the setup in Cody Ceci's home? Probably Cody Ceci.

The burner probably didn't come with the house, and the refill-bottle most certainly didn't appear in the house on it's own.

Cody Ceci, or anyone else who furnished his house are in this case the closest thing to the car manufacturer, the one who assembled the ensemble that was used in a dangerous way.
Sorry, but you don’t seem to have any understanding on how to define legal liability. You can’t compare a product selling manufacturer and their responsibilities and liability in traffic related accidents to the responsibilities and the liability that a property owner can have for damage occurring due to neglecting precautions in their own premises while being intoxicated themselves. Completely different issues. You are absolutely lost here. There are a lot of people here discussing this issue with real and correct knowledge of these type of cases. Let them handle the discussion, if this is really what you can give to the discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: fivesberg

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Moral of the story....Do not host a party on your own property without having all your guest sign a liability waiver.
Or better yet, when you throw a party, don’t have your partner who (reportedly) was drinking and has no clue how to safely fill a table top burner, squirt ethanol onto a lit/hot burner and then throw the fiery bottle at a guest when it catches fire.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Sorry, but you don’t seem to have any understanding on how to define legal liability. You can’t compare a product selling manufacturer and their responsibilities and liability in traffic related accidents to the responsibilities and the liability that a property owner can have for damage occurring due to neglecting precautions in their own premises while being intoxicated themselves. Completely different issues. You are absolutely lost here. There are a lot of people here discussing this issue with real and correct knowledge of these type of cases. Let them handle the discussion, if this is really what you can give to the discussion.

You seem to have absolutely zero understanding on what the conversation is about. Legal liability can be defined in any way any legal system wants to define it.

What I claim is that who should be responsible, not who will be given some punishments in some jurisdiction.

What we have is yet another case of you showing off your complete illiteracy.

Anyone with even primitive level of reading comprehension would have understood what I was after in these posts:

" Should car companies be liable if someone drives drunk or goes twice the speed limit, and kills a bunch of people? I dont think so."
" If I go to someone's place, and someone else there misuses a device / does not follow instructions, how is it the owner's fault? "

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Yeah, its a negotiation. They always start with a number 2 or 3 times what the eventual number should be.

Its like kevin hayes starting with asking for 7.25 mil per year.

tumblr_oyt16c0EN01rjgjc7o4_250.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->