Cody Ceci sued for 8 million for freak accident

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by Abysmal Bylsma, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Tomas W

Tomas W Registered User

Good for the lawyers, years of heafty fees. No wonder they chase the ambulance.

The only real winners, the lawyers.

Devonator likes this.
  2. Los merengues

Los merengues Registered User

No I would not. Its 8 milloin!!!! There are way worse things than this and you dont get a penny out of them and suffer for the rest of their lifes with Life they lead ruined. Here this person only benifits from this, minus few months on a hospital and some scarring. Still its going to make her live a live she would have never had otherwise, its no like she lost her legs or was paralized. For the record you dont know me or my life so dont push your white knight stuff too hard. I would do it in a hearth beat, maybe you wouldnt but thats has nothing to do with me.

3. Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy Eat cookies, get fat, watch from the couch

I won't claim to know what this lawyer charges, but many times (at least in US), the fees are contingent upon winning the case. I have a friend who was involved in a case and he did have to pay some money upfront ($10K), but the attorney didn't get anything else until the case was settled where he took 35%. In cases like this, I think many Lawyers prefer to settle it quickly, not have it drag out, but again, I don't know the details behind this attorney's relationship with the client.

4. Boom Boom Apathy

"Minus a few months in the hospital and scarring." You truly are an uninformed individual.

5. Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers ordinary corrupt human love

corporate drone
    Yeah. She "only benefits" from the situation even though she has suffered long-lasting injuries and was in a ****ing medically induced coma.

This isn't "white knighting". It's common sense. Jesus.

6. Lempo

Lempo hose style Sponsor

Stop burning the guy, he might bill you.

7. Los merengues

I know and have taken care of people with same type of injuries and worse, do you? These people got compensated for their medicalcare nothing else. Their lives are ruined forever, deformed faces and what not. Compared to those People she looks okay. But yeah she sure does deserve that 8 mil just because HF consensus says so I guess.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  8. Boom Boom Apathy

Yes, I do. A good friend of mine got serious burns in a house explosion. I can tell you from first hand experience it's more than just "a couple months in the hospital and scars." This was 20 years ago and it still affects him physically and emotionally. Said he still wakes up at night with an unquenchable itch on his scars. Still feels pain. Still feels insecure about the way he looks and many times so avoids public situations, etc... Still gets depressed by it. etc...

Like I said, you are truly and uninformed individual if you equate this to a couple months in the hospital and some scars.

I get it though, you like to talk big from behind a keyboard. I have no more time for it so carry on.

9. 4thline

4thline Registered User

Safe bet.

Her 500k pain and suffering claim
    Capped at ~380k, with max generally reserved for loss of limb, para/quadriplegia, life altering brain injury.
    As horrible as her experience was, this tort is generally about the long lasting impacts, and this isn't a max type situation.

Her 300k Loss of Housekeeping Capacity claim
    Generally a big award for loss of efficiency is in the 30-70k range. Hundreds of thousands reserved for those that have completely lost the capacity and need housekeeper

Based on precedents that 800k would likely look more like 300.

His 200k Loss of Care, Guidance, and Companionship
    Capped at ~125k, and that's for the death of a child. Spouse is capped around 110, sibling at ~35. She didn't die, and they're on public record about her great attitude and it improving the relationship. Wouldn't be surprised to see that tossed altogether, in any case it's not going to be more than 30.

His 200k Nervous Shock + Intentional Infliction of Mental Suffering & Emotional Distress
    I can't speak to the Shock, but the IIMS almost certainly fails the test of "The Defendant's conduct was calculated to harm the plaintiff"

So of that 1.2 million, there's a strong case that no more than 400k would be awarded at court.

Then there's the ridiculous 1.4 million combined claim for nursing & attendant care from the boyfriend, parents, and siblings. In 2017 a judge awarded a plaintiff's sister that was a registered nurse providing daily care for 10 years $122k. There's no chance in hell that they make a good case that 1.4 million was "reasonably incurred" with the father returning to work a couple weeks after and Cardwell playing the next season.

So there's a 2.6 million claim vs. about 600k in reasonable award.

Then the 6 million income would come down to actuaries and analysts making a case. Tougher to calculate than usual considering she's an entrepreneur rather than collecting a salary, and a good prognosis and recovery will factor against it. They'll have to prove that 6 million is the present value of the difference between what she could have made and what she still can. Given a return to work is likely (even at a modest 50k per year) that's going to be a tall order. Especially with a judge potentially pissed off at the inflated 2.6 claim and skeptical.

10. Los merengues

20 years ago the medicare was a tad different. I work on the field so thanks for assuming me as uninformed. Fact is she deserves no More no less than others and she is going to get a Life altering sun, something your friend no doubt didn't. 8 mil, living in a mansion and driving a Ferrari goes long way dealing with insecurities... Why does she deserve it and others dont? And here people are saying shes not lucky.

What ever you think of me talking big I dont really care. What a do care is equality and all people treated the same. If I tell this story to any of patients with the same situation you think they would like the fact that they'r pain is for nothing and someone got set for life. Sure they would agree that she and only she is so special its deserved.

11. Lempo

Lempo hose style Sponsor

BBA directed that quoted post including the uninformativeness claim to Tuomas Rauhala.

12. The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy Registered User

Jesus that sounds horrible for her. Hope she gets it. Insurance will pay out anyway, it's not like Cody will be broke.

Memento and fivesberg like this.
  13. GoJetsGo55

GoJetsGo55 Registered User

I think you'd be shocked to find how much money burn victims would pay to have their old life back.

14. TheBeastCoast

TheBeastCoast Registered User

You calling me a white knight for this is actually hilarious. I really dont care what you say over a keyboard I dont believe you.

15. Sniperberg

Sniperberg Registered User

Found the poor peasant

16. tony d

tony d HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Office Worker
    Just a sad situation overall. My thoughts are with the victim here for sure.

Memento and Boom Boom Apathy like this.
  17. blankall

blankall Registered User

Lawyers typically work on contingency in these matters, and get a percentage of the settlement. They would prefer to settle as early as possible.

18. LeHab

LeHab Registered User

I think the foreseeable is implied? When making decisions future consequences are something we have to consider.

19. blankall

blankall Registered User

Seriously? What the hell is wrong with people in this thread.

Have any of you actually looked at the photos of her scars or have any idea what dealing with severe burns is like? She has severe burns to much of her body. When burns get so severe that they require skin grafts, they also typically damage nerves and muscle tissue. These kind of burns also result in life-long pain and discomfort from the scars, as the skin is no longer normal. Layers of scar tissue rub up against each other constantly.

The only good thing about this that is positive is that the more severe scars are not on her face, and she can go out in public without people staring.

The incident also had a huge effect on her partner:
    As for the amount, of course it's high. It's an initial offering in a bargaining process. If she's able to work again, she might only end up with 10% of what's she's asking for. There's also the possibility that she could end up with nothing, in the unlikely case that Ceci's wife if found non-negligent. If there is a payout, it will almost certainly come entirely from the home insurance company, with Ceci and his wife paying a $2-10k ish deductible.

20. TheBeastCoast

TheBeastCoast Registered User

She also nearly had her left arm amputated and if it wasnt for the dog bowl being moved outside would have died from the burns. But winners in this thread think she is "lucky" or "opportunistic" lol.

21. mmvvpp

mmvvpp Registered User

You're cheap.
    I'd need to be paid at least triple that to suffer through what happened to that poor woman and then live the rest of my life horribly disfigured, constantly having surgeries for further skin grafts, etc.

22. bert

bert Registered User

Home Page:
    Another poster that is clearly unfamiliar with the situation and by the sound of it is very bitter at their own life. To think this is a lucky situation is beyond insane.

23. Boom Boom Apathy

I think it might be the same person who just changed their username.

Memento likes this.
  24. 4thline

4thline Registered User

Being incredibly sympathetic to what she went through and will go through and recognizing the claims for what they are within the context of Canadian civil litigation are not mutually exclusive.

25. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Registered User

If his name in on the property then it seems justified