Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
We can compare with any D-Men from the top 4. Any suggestions? Dougie Hamilton, Dan Girardi ... someone else?

No, to be fair you have to stack him up against D men who play elite shutdown minutes, and there are not many of those in the league. Girardi maybe, but Hamilton no.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Just picked up a double double at the Tim's in Stittsville & Cody Ceci was at the window to give me my coffee. I asked him if he was going to re-sign & he said he hopes so but wouldn't reveal anything else.

And speaking of Ceci, I would still like to see him play with Chabot next season, if they do re-sign him. They need to keep Brannstrom in Belleville for another season to avoid having to protect him in the June 2021 expansion draft.

Chabot - Ceci
Wolanin - Jaros
Englund - Harpur / Brannstrom

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Just picked up a double double at the Tim's in Stittsville & Cody Ceci was at the window to give me my coffee. I asked him if he was going to re-sign & he said he hopes so but wouldn't reveal anything else.

And speaking of Ceci, I would still like to see him play with Chabot next season, if they do re-sign him. They need to keep Brannstrom in Belleville for another season to avoid having to protect him in the June 2021 expansion draft.

Chabot - Ceci
Wolanin - Jaros
I understand your wanting him to stay but by looking at those lines it doesn't seem like very much of an upgrade. Cody Ceci is the vet in that group. I was hoping they could pick up at UFA at some point.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I understand your wanting him to stay but by looking at those lines it doesn't seem like very much of an upgrade. Cody Ceci is the vet in that group. I was hoping they could pick up at UFA at some point.
I hear you & realize most want him gone but I'm not sure they will be able to find a UFA that brings most of what Ceci already has.
The case for Cody Ceci:
- he is a big guy at 6'2", 209 lbs & is the most experienced defenceman on the team & strong enough to fight off big NHL forwards & is only 24 yrs old.
- was 2nd in scoring on this team behind Chabot LD with 26 pts, should be able to improve on that playing with Chabot.
- is a right shot which has value in the NHL & this team lacks depth in good right shot defencemen. And he can play a lot of minutes in games as he proved last yr.
- he's been used as a shutdown defencemen for a few yrs now & would be able to improve the top pairing defensively & hopefully does as well with Chabot as Methot did with EK.
- he's a very good skater, he's fast enough, can carry the puck & has a decent shot but doesn't get enough offensive opportunities.
- he's basically the kind of defenceman they need to play with Chabot, but has been miscast since he's been here & he gives the top pairing more size on D.
- Ottawa has a few D that could play the shutdown role as well or better than Ceci & they should give him the opportunity to see if playing more of an offensive role will fit the way he plays better than being a shutdown D. Just my thoughts.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Physical skills can only take a player so far an unfortunately for Cody he's one of the dumbest players I've ever had the displeasure of watching. The organization is gonna have roughly 5 million reasons to not sign him to an extension this summer, and I think some of us will finally get our wish.

Reactions: NB613 and Alex1234

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Chabot - Ceci
Wolanin - Jaros
May as well throw Chabot on the pile of d partners that Ceci has ruined in his short career.

Reactions: Alex1234

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
May as well throw Chabot on the pile of d partners that Ceci has ruined in his short career.
I don't believe that Chabot will be worse with Ceci as a partner, in fact, I think he could thrive knowing that he has a good defensive D backing him up. The team as a whole was terrible, both of those guys could benefit playing together & IMO they have the kind of skills that could compliment each other. The problem with this defence IMO are the players that come behind these two lack experience & are still learning to play defence in the NHL, they also make their fair share of mistakes that cost them goals against. The good news is that I expect them to get better & if they can add another very good D through these next 3 drafts to this defence core, they should have a very good mobile D moving forward.

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Chabot - Ceci
Wolanin - Jaros
Did he double clutch when handing you your coffee?

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018

Chabot - Ceci
Wolanin - Jaros
Does keeping Brannstrom in the AHL avoid having to protect him in the 2021 expansion draft? My understanding is that it wouldn't make a difference if he plays in the AHL or NHL when it comes to the expansion draft.
***edit: nevermind i got caught up in the other thread.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Does keeping Brannstrom in the AHL avoid having to protect him in the 2021 expansion draft? My understanding is that it wouldn't make a difference if he plays in the AHL or NHL when it comes to the expansion draft.
***edit: nevermind i got caught up in the other thread.
You are right & I was wrong. Thanks.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

Chabot - Ceci
Wolanin - Jaros
Please no
Let him have fun with the donuts

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I don't believe that Chabot will be worse with Ceci as a partner, in fact, I think he could thrive knowing that he has a good defensive D backing him up. The team as a whole was terrible, both of those guys could benefit playing together & IMO they have the kind of skills that could compliment each other. The problem with this defence IMO are the players that come behind these two lack experience & are still learning to play defence in the NHL, they also make their fair share of mistakes that cost them goals against. The good news is that I expect them to get better & if they can add another very good D through these next 3 drafts to this defence core, they should have a very good mobile D moving forward.
o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->