Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I dont 100 percent dissagree with him that Ceci can be more effective in a different role. I think if he was used as a two way d man rather than shut down he could be much more effective. He actually seems like an ideal fit with Lajoie.

He certainly is not a matchup or shut down d man. That role in general isnt what it used to be. You shut down teams by having the puck and playing a 5 man unit speed style collectively limiting the other teams time and space. Now a fresh ceci playing 18 to 20 minutes max a night can play this role. His physical tools are fine its hia decision making speed that is his issue. If he played less in easier situations he wont be as tired incresing his chances in making the right decision.

Of all the things I expected to read today, a completely reasonable and unexaggerated summary of Cody Ceci wasn't one of them, but here we are.

Reactions: bert

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This is a real case of both player and team needing to move on....

I'd say the return on Ceci would be 2nd round pick max, but at this point it'd take the 2nd rounder and move the player. Seems like Jaros and Harpur can handle those minutes together

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'd say the return on Ceci would be 2nd round pick max, but at this point it'd take the 2nd rounder and move the player. Seems like Jaros and Harpur can handle those minutes together
I wouldnt move him for a 2nd ,he may be unliked around here ...But he is worth more than that at the TDL easily

Reactions: aragorn and Boud

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Last game we had 7 DMen in the line up for a total of less then 7MM$ payroll.
Do we really need Ceci and what he brings for let's say 5x5MM$?
A Ceci less Sens team would be ok in my opinion
Sure some nights we could find some plays where he would have been useful but I bet the contrary would happen too

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Last game we had 7 DMen in the line up for a total of less then 7MM$ payroll.
Do we really need Ceci and what he brings for let's say 5x5MM$?
A Ceci less Sens team would be ok in my opinion
Sure some nights we could find some plays where he would have been useful but I bet the contrary would happen too

This is key.

Is Ceci as bad as people around here make him out to be? Probably not.

Is he worth 5X what any of our rookies are making/is he 5X better than any of Chabot/Lajoie/Wolanin/Jaros/Boro/Wideman/Harpur/Demelo? Definitely not.

If this team really is all-in on cutting costs (hint: they are) then moving Ceci in the next year and a half seems almost inevitable.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Trading Ceci at this point is a no brainer. We have other players that we should prioritize and being a budget team it's extremely important to commit ONLY to key contributors on the team. We need to sign Duchene, Stone, Dzingel. All of these guys go ahead of Ceci. There's no way we can afford paying this guy long term for what he brings. He's as good as gone, I really don't think he gets another contract here.

We need to move on and so does Ceci for his own good. We might not think that he has a lot of value but he certainly does. He's still a RFA, RHD, can play a lot of minutes, good skater, good size, not an old guy either. We've seen players just kinda get it later on in their careers (Brassard is an example) and given the shortage at the position a team will overpay to acquire him.

Reactions: topshelf15

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
He's not getting any better. He has almost 400 NHL games under his belt.

That's half of a decent career.

Yeah I remember Potvin talking about how after 300 games in the NHL, you pretty much are what you are. Not many players change after that mark.

Time to cut ties with Cody. Hopefully when he comes back he puts up some numbers offensively to spark up his value.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Trading Ceci at this point is a no brainer. We have other players that we should prioritize and being a budget team it's extremely important to commit ONLY to key contributors on the team. We need to sign Duchene, Stone, Dzingel. All of these guys go ahead of Ceci. There's no way we can afford paying this guy long term for what he brings. He's as good as gone, I really don't think he gets another contract here.

We need to move on and so does Ceci for his own good. We might not think that he has a lot of value but he certainly does. He's still a RFA, RHD, can play a lot of minutes, good skater, good size, not an old guy either. We've seen players just kinda get it later on in their careers (Brassard is an example) and given the shortage at the position a team will overpay to acquire him.
Exactly.

At this point the argument is hardly about what he does or doesn't bring on the ice. We know what he is. The issue is that large long term contract looming.

We've buried ourselves in bad money with overpaid vets and role players. Enough already! Pay the stars and fill the spots around them with cheap contracts, not the other way around like we've been doing to this point.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah I remember Potvin talking about how after 300 games in the NHL, you pretty much are what you are. Not many players change after that mark.

Time to cut ties with Cody. Hopefully when he comes back he puts up some numbers offensively to spark up his value.
For ceci it’s special though. It’s not 300 games. It’s “d men don’t peak until 28”. Then when 28 comes it will be “that one d mans peak was 30”. So on and so forth. Verrrry similar to the cowen excuses.

Some of us wanted these guys traded BEFORE 300 games when everyone would find out what they were. But “Zeno chara didn’t develop until later” so....

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yup he really is, the leafs need a right handed D man in the worst way possible. Thats who id be trying to trade him to.

I think that would work for both teams if it was Nylander coming back, Ottawa could certainly use more good depth on RW especially if they can unload Ryan at some point.

Having said that though, a lot of people here were not fans of Harpur not that long ago & while he played a good game against LA we also remember he was taken out of the lineup last yr & this yr Lajoie beat him out of a starting position even though he had a one way contract. A lot of people like Jaros (me included) but he didn't beat out Lajoie either to start the yr & ended up in Belleville again & he has only 3 NHL games under his belt. Ceci plays big minutes for this team, someone has to show they can take over some of those minutes & consistently play big minutes for the entire season. I would like to see Ottawa get bigger, tougher & harder to play against on D & this is probably the yr they should make this move but it remains to be seen whether these two can play as well consistently for an entire season.

Melgene Eunyk

Mar 29, 2015
I will say this much: Regardless of the crap that get's flung Ceci's way, he can still be an effective NHL D-man. In my opinion, I see him as being an effective 2nd pairing D if he is given the proper partner.

The issue's that have been arising with Ceci's game have been almost exclusively a result of his deployment. If used properly, he can be effective. As some have referenced in this thread, i see him as a jack-of-all trades, master of none type of defenceman. And there's nothing wrong with that. However - as is the case with most players being routinely thrust out of their comfort zone - he is prone to making mental errors.

We aren't going to be a better team by allotting Ceci's 18-20 minutes to the other young defenders. However, given the current deployment structure of the defense and Boucher's over-reliance on Ceci, his mistakes and presence will continue to be magnified unjustly.

The proper course in my mind is this: Ceci is still young. There is no reason to dump a top 4 defenseman for nothing. We need the younger defenders with the potential to be legitimate top pairing D's (Chabot only comes to mind here) to develop as accordingly. This will be become much more challenging if we are forced to thrust them into these positions they aren't acclimatized to.

Retain Ceci as a stop-gap for the future, and at the right time we can either move on, or we can utilize him in his proper role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad