Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
If you can sign him for 4 mill or less do it. There are enough teams that have shown interest in him that you could still unload him if need be.
At the same time you can buy some time at a fairly marketable rate to see if the team improves around him. As the team improves and spends more time in the "O" zone, Ceci will improve and gain more confidence. I may be in the minority but there is still potential there and you don't have to break the bank to keep him.

Reactions: aragorn

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If you can sign him for 4 mill or less do it. There are enough teams that have shown interest in him that you could still unload him if need be.
At the same time you can buy some time at a fairly marketable rate to see if the team improves around him. As the team improves and spends more time in the "O" zone, Ceci will improve and gain more confidence. I may be in the minority but there is still potential there and you don't have to break the bank to keep him.
I agree that this guy isn’t a guy we shouldn’t just not sign. But damn, should have traded this guy like yesterday’s yesterday

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I may be in the minority but there is still potential there and you don't have to break the bank to keep him.

How long do we have to wait for him to reach this "potential" we keep hearing of? This org waited far too long to move Cowen and now they are waiting far too long to move Ceci. He looks absolutely lost on the ice 90% of the time and this "untapped offensive potential" people keep talking about is non-existent. She either dumps the puck in, shoots wide or shoots directly at the goalie's crest. His windup is even slower to get going than Boro's is.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I like Ceci but he has awful hockey IQ and composure.

1) Give him a reliable partner
2) Play to his strengths by letting him be an offensive (rush the puck) Dman.
3) See what we really have in this player.

Sticking him with the pylon Dion and asking him to be a shutdown player is idiotic and doesn't explore his true potential.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
How long do we have to wait for him to reach this "potential" we keep hearing of? This org waited far too long to move Cowen and now they are waiting far too long to move Ceci. He looks absolutely lost on the ice 90% of the time and this "untapped offensive potential" people keep talking about is non-existent. She either dumps the puck in, shoots wide or shoots directly at the goalie's crest. His windup is even slower to get going than Boro's is.
To be fair
The first goal of the night yesterday was Ceci assisted from Subban and Ceci

So he has potential:sarcasm:

Reactions: Chezzz

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
1) Give him a reliable partner
2) Play to his strengths by letting him be an offensive (rush the puck) Dman.
3) See what we really have in this player.

Sticking him with the pylon Dion and asking him to be a shutdown player is idiotic and doesn't explore his true potential.

1) He has played with multiple partners and we keep blaming the partner
2) Does he have good offensive instincts? If so, we have never seen them. Sure his skating is decent, but his hockey IQ is horrible and he never seems to get a good shot on goal.
3) How long does it take for us to "see what we have", he has already played over 300 NHL games.

Point being is that a decision needs to be made before he signs his next contract. Based on deployment and ice-time, Ceci is going to want a significant raise and probably term as well. Does this org really want to sign this specific player long term and for big $$ based on what we have seen from the past 300 games? The answer should be, absolutely not. Remember Cowen?

Last edited:

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Point being is that a decision needs to be made before he signs his next contract. Based on deployment and ice-time, Ceci is going to want a significant raise and probably term as well. Does this org really want to sign this specific player long term and for big $$ based on what we have seen from the past 300 games? The answer should be, absolutely not. Remember Cowen?

Cowen? Not so much.
The difference being that other NHL clubs still view Ceci as an asset they would want to acquire, judging by the reports from the media and even PD. Fake news maybe!!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
1) He has played with multiple partners and we keep blaming the partner
2) Does he have good offensive instincts, if so, we have never seen them. Sure his skating is decent, but his hockey IQ is horrible and he never seems to get a good shot on goal.
3) How long does it take for us to "see what we have", he has already played over 300 NHL games.

If they do plan to re-sign him, then he should firmly be the lowest priority below the re-signings of Stone, Duchene & Karlsson. I say just move on at this point if he won't accept 3.5 or less, which he won't.

Reactions: JungleBeat

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dorion: Ceci on the move?
“I'm a big Cody Ceci fan,” Dorion said. “Cody is one player – and I know a lot of the pundits out there might disagree with it – I'd like to have as a Senator for a long, long time.”

Ceci:
“There are a lot of rumblings going on around the league and a lot of distractions that can throw you off and it’s always in the back of your mind. So to hear that from the GM, that’s always nice to hear,” Ceci told reporters on Thursday. “They think I can help the team out. I guess we're trying to rebuild a little bit around certain pieces and if I'm one of those pieces, I would be happy to be that guy.”

Dorion:
“I think Dion was great for Cody and I think Cody will be the first to tell you that Dion was great for his career,” added Dorion. “But now Cody is probably ready to take someone under his wing.”

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I couldn't disagree more with these kinds of comments. I watch most games & I often hear Ceci's name mentioned breaking up plays or skating the puck out of his own end. Every player makes plenty of mistakes & this coach depends on Ceci a lot to shut down the other team's best players. IMO Karlsson has been a lot worse defensively this yr than Ceci. There is no better defenceman in the organization right now than Ceci who can replace him. So if he is traded who do you get to replace him who is better? Jaros isn't there yet & may never be as good as Ceci is & I love the way he plays.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I honestly thought Ceci had a good game tonight and I haven't said that since his rookie season I think.

He was very proactive and also made some nice offensive plays. Giving him some more offensive responsability will be interesting. I think he deserves that shot. Playing with Phaneuf is not easy.

Reactions: topshelf15

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I really don't understand the Ceci hate. Dude is a rock defensively. Plays against the opponent's best night in and night out and does a real good job.

Offensively he still takes a second too long to release his shot, but generally makes good plays and has been excellent at pinching along the wall. He's been jumping into the play more too.

He's a good 2nd pairing defenseman that is playing top pairing minutes. Trading him now after trading Phaneuf and potentially losing EK to FA would be madness.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I really don't understand the Ceci hate. Dude is a rock defensively. Plays against the opponent's best night in and night out and does a real good job.

Offensively he still takes a second too long to release his shot, but generally makes good plays and has been excellent at pinching along the wall. He's been jumping into the play more too.

He's a good 2nd pairing defenseman that is playing top pairing minutes. Trading him now after trading Phaneuf and potentially losing EK to FA would be madness.
Yup, pair him with Chabot and see how they do. Do it for 10-15 games consistently. Kid is young and will still grow, we then have 2 good pairings as EK is more flexible in his partners.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

Dorion: I think Dion was great for Cody and I think Cody will be the first to tell you that Dion was great for his career,” added Dorion. “But now Cody is probably ready to take someone under his wing.”

Ceci: "You see that guy all alone in front of the net?"

Harpur: "Yes"

Ceci: "You think you should cover him?"

Harpur: "Is this a trick question? Yes, obviously I should cover him."

Ceci: "WRONG! What you should do is leave him all alone and stand 15 ft away from him, near no one in particular, and gaze at the puck with a confused look on your face."

Harpur: "That doesn't make sense..."

Ceci: "Trust me. I played with Dion."

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ceci: "You see that guy all alone in front of the net?"

Harpur: "Yes"

Ceci: "You think you should cover him?"

Harpur: "Is this a trick question? Yes, obviously I should cover him."

Ceci: "WRONG! What you should do is leave him all alone and stand 15 ft away from him, near no one in particular, and gaze at the puck with a confused look on your face."

Harpur: "That doesn't make sense..."

Ceci: "Trust me. I played with Dion."

Phaneuf reminded me about this Robin Williams on Reagan set

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

If you mean rock as in smart as a rock defensively I definitely agree

Reactions: JungleBeat

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
The guys looked good the last couple games. I suspect we're going to see a considerable improvement over the next few weeks now that Phaneuf is gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad