News Article: Cody Ceci lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
A friend of mine in high school severely scarred her face with the combination of lighter fluid, candles....smoking hash at the time. I've avoided candles in my own home, just the possibility of fire.
If nothing else, parents and grandparents should have discussion with their children of "open flame" and flammable liquids. Like get out the room/house.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Three takeaways from this article (and this unfortunate accident):

1) Ceci will be playing for free for the next 2 seasons
2) There is no mention of any Corsi numbers on either side of council
3) I still can't tell from this article if Ceci can play in TOR's top 4

_____

All kidding aside. This is the 2nd story I've heard about people using this type of fuel for torches, camp stoves, and fireplaces. If you're reading this then stay away from this stuff. My father in law got badly burned from the same kind of fuel. I can't get over how casually people use any type of fuel for fires or barbecues. Try to find another way. Table top fire place? Sounds dangerous already.

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
I can see an argument for damages if she couldnt work for an extended time and medical related costs but some of the numbers seem very outragious to me

It literally says she ran her own yoga class and had to stop because of the burns and rehab. Sounds like she can't work to me.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Not to downplay the incident but it is hard for me to be sympathetic when siblings and boyfriends are asking for hundreds of thousands in the claim. I can see an argument for damages if she couldnt work for an extended time and medical related costs but some of the numbers seem very outragious to me

Yeah. Can't say I like myself for it but my sympathy drained away as the article went on.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Three takeaways from this article (and this unfortunate accident):

1) Ceci will be playing for free for the next 2 seasons
2) There is no mention of any Corsi numbers on either side of council
3) I still can't tell from this article if Ceci can play in TOR's top 4

_____

All kidding aside. This is the 2nd story I've heard about people using this type of fuel for torches, camp stoves, and fireplaces. If you're reading this then stay away from this stuff. My father in law got badly burned from the same kind of fuel. I can't get over how casually people use any type of fuel for fires or barbecues. Try to find another way. Table top fire place? Sounds dangerous already.

You have no idea what you are talking about. What is going to happen is Ceci insurance is going to pay for this but in order for that to happen this woman needs to sue Ceci. The exact same thing happened to a woman who broke her arm, she couldn't afford rehab and in order to get the insurance money she had to sue her own nephew.

Do you understand?

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
Jeebus, sounds kind of like a freak accident. That woman certainly deserves compensation.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Dont underestimate how this incident could have affected Ceci’s performance last year. PTSD is debilitating.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
You have no idea what you are talking about. What is going to happen is Ceci insurance is going to pay for this but in order for that to happen this woman needs to sue Ceci. The exact same thing happened to a woman who broke her arm, she couldn't afford rehab and in order to get the insurance money she had to sue her own nephew.

Do you understand?

Read my post again and tell me if you understand.

Jesus Christ

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
The 500,000 and 300,000 I could see her getting. While this is a terrible situation and a horrible outcome the 6,000,000 will likely not be had. I don’t see intent here which will be the big factor.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The 500,000 and 300,000 I could see her getting. While this is a terrible situation and a horrible outcome the 6,000,000 will likely not be had. I don’t see intent here which will be the big factor.

"Intent" ? Does such a thing need to be proven in a lawsuit? Isn't that a criminal law term?

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
"Intent" ? Does such a thing need to be proven in a lawsuit? Isn't that a criminal law term?

Right...was there negligence and a duty of care? Was excessive alcohol involved? Someone is going to pay though. Interesting the manufacturer pulled the product after the incident. That is telling I believe.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Engel is still owner of a yoga studio, ModernBody, and plans to eventually teach again, encouraging people who might not feel comfortable in a yoga studio. A place that doesn’t judge people.
“When I am able to do a downward dog,” Engel says, “I will be so happy.”

So things are looking up, for her personal well being, but perhaps not the lawsuit.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
So things are looking up, for her personal well being, but perhaps not the lawsuit.

It won't get to trial, but if it did the award would be nothing like what is being claimed.

The claim amounts are pretty ridiculous. 6m in loss of income translates into 150k a year for 40 years, paid up front (huge future value). I think I've read that's pretty much the value the Canadian legal system puts on a death. 500k is more than the max pain an suffering award, for which a common example is young adult paraplegia.

Last edited:

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I hope she gets everything she's asking for.

I can't imagine anything more painful to live through that what happened to Engel, and the injuries she suffered will never fully heal. The impact on her loved ones were immense as well, in terms of what they had to do to support her, both in time and cost.

Meanwhile, she goes on Instagram and sees Ceci and Thompsen living a picture-perfect millionaire life - getting engaged in Italy, traveling, etc.

From what some people in their "circle" have said, Ceci and Thompsen essentially cut ties with Engel a few months after the incident, because they needed to "move on". So yeah, give her the $8 million.

This wasn't even so much of an accident as an act of complete stupidity and negligence. I see no difference to this than hitting someone with your car while texting.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Not to downplay the incident but it is hard for me to be sympathetic when siblings and boyfriends are asking for hundreds of thousands in the claim. I can see an argument for damages if she couldnt work for an extended time and medical related costs but some of the numbers seem very outragious to me
You shoot for the stars in the ask, gives you more room to negotiate

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You shoot for the stars in the ask, gives you more room to negotiate

Yes, can't see her family getting close to $1 million for nursing when she was living at home with her boyfriend.
Jake Cardwell Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
And Jake didn't give up his career.

“Her injuries and her resulting changes to her appearance have prevented her, and will prevent her from engaging in all of these activities and interests,” the lawsuit claims.
This is disproven from the more recent article.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I hope she gets everything she's asking for.

I can't imagine anything more painful to live through that what happened to Engel, and the injuries she suffered will never fully heal. The impact on her loved ones were immense as well, in terms of what they had to do to support her, both in time and cost.

Meanwhile, she goes on Instagram and sees Ceci and Thompsen living a picture-perfect millionaire life - getting engaged in Italy, traveling, etc.

From what some people in their "circle" have said, Ceci and Thompsen essentially cut ties with Engel a few months after the incident, because they needed to "move on". So yeah, give her the $8 million.

This wasn't even so much of an accident as an act of complete stupidity and negligence. I see no difference to this than hitting someone with your car while texting.

LOL, she wouldn't have lived a millionaire life, regardless of the accident or not. Nice troll attempt, though.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Right...was there negligence and a duty of care? Was excessive alcohol involved? Someone is going to pay though. Interesting the manufacturer pulled the product after the incident. That is telling I believe.

Again negligence could be a criminal term.

I don't think negligence needs to be proven in this lawsuit. The accident happened where Ceci resides and as a result of the accident she's missed work, needed surgeries, and probably future care. It's not really about who's to blame.

From this distance it may seem like someone is trying to take from an NHL hockey player who makes millions. Deep down I'm sure Ceci wants to help the victim, and this is why there is insurance for these matters.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
LOL, she wouldn't have lived a millionaire life, regardless of the accident or not. Nice troll attempt, though.

Doesn't matter if she would have lived a millionaire lifestyle.

It matters that she suffered incredible pain, suffering and a lifelong injury that will severely lower her quality of life because of an act of negligence and stupidity by Ceci's common law partner at Ceci's residence.

This was not an "accident" in the sense that Engel burned herself cooking. This was severe trauma caused by another person making a very bad choice. If you hit someone while texting and driving, it's not an accident. It's your fault.

This was Thompsen's fault, and seeing how her and Ceci's household are legally the same, her and Ceci will have to deal with the consequences.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Doesn't matter if she would have lived a millionaire lifestyle.

It matters that she suffered incredible pain, suffering and a lifelong injury that will severely lower her quality of life because of an act of negligence and stupidity by Ceci's common law partner at Ceci's residence.

That's not how the Canadian Tort system works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad