News Article: Cody Ceci lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Meh, it will stay out of the courts and an agreement will likely be made, unless Cody thinks he can get it dismissed altogether.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
What an awful accident. One thing in the article that isn't explained is that a person often doesn't consciously throw a burning object, it's an involuntary reflex. However there's the reckless handling of the fuel that caused the incident.

Reactions: 1specter

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
That is terrible.

Not sure she's getting 8 mill though. She'll get punitive + medical, but I would be surprised if she gets more than 1/4 of her suit.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
That is terrible.

Not sure she's getting 8 mill though. She'll get punitive + medical, but I would be surprised if she gets more than 1/4 of her suit.
Lawyer tactics. Shitty situation though and Ceci will have to pay for his partner's clumsiness

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Lawyer tactics. ****ty situation though and Ceci will have to pay for his partner's clumsiness

It's also the maker of the burner getting sued too. Defective product. They will likely have to pay most of the damages unless they can prove gross and blatant negligence.

Products are usually supposed to safeguard against these sorts of things so unless she blatantly ignored or disabled safety measures on the product, they are more at fault.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Does Canadian homeowners insurance include liability for guests injuries or is that just a US thing?

Property I think yes. Not sure about injury.

The thing is that besides the most basic coverages (i.e. certain insurances on your mortgaged house that your bank forces you to get), a lot of things are optional. So something like that may be offered by some insurance companies (likely covering slip and fall type stuff) but it is probably not mandatory. So it would depend on whether he had the insurance, which he likely did not.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Its just a horrible situation. Feel very bad for the victim and bad for the Ceci camp also. It sounds like it was a major accident. For it to do that damage is wild. I'm sure they were all gooned having a good time drinking which many of us do and it was a freak accident. The family deserves money for sure. Sucks for Codi and his partner but they have to make it right with the defendant(s).

Last edited:

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
I'm not privy to how these medical costs are billed, does the plaintiff have to pay for all medical and rehab treatment in Canada?

I'm seeing big amounts claimed by the defendant but I thought these costs are covered under universal health care?

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Not to downplay the incident but it is hard for me to be sympathetic when siblings and boyfriends are asking for hundreds of thousands in the claim. I can see an argument for damages if she couldnt work for an extended time and medical related costs but some of the numbers seem very outragious to me

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
If Ceci has an agent worth his commissions, then he's got an umbrella policy that should completely cover something of this nature.
I have a separate umbrella policy but it only covers 1 million liability. I'm sure you can get more coverage of course for a higher premium.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
I heard about this quite some time ago This situation is pretty unfortunate, and clearly not on purpose.

Hopefully there is an outcome where she is provided enough to help her through her tough times.

But the scary part is this is all too common. I know several players who have had guests over, and those guest cut themselves on a ledge or glass, or have a slip and fall by the pool. Then all of the sudden look for compensation.

Never like hearing about these situations regardless.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'm not privy to how these medical costs are billed, does the plaintiff have to pay for all medical and rehab treatment in Canada?

I'm seeing big amounts claimed by the defendant but I thought these costs are covered under universal health care?

I’m not sure all therapy (Rx drugs for e.g.) is covered under those plans.

Reactions: Huck Cheever
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad