Player Discussion Cody Ceci Appreciation Thread

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I didn't mind Ceci, he has been misused and was underdeveloped. He's absolutely fine as a #4, as long as there are three actual better dmen ahead of him, not just playing #4 minutes behind other bad dmen. He also shouldn't be used as a shutdown guy playing against opponents top lines regularly.

Rather trade him for Zaitsev (although I see the appeal in cost certainty), I would have preferred we kept him and hoped for better utilization under DJ and then traded him at the deadline.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Ceci couldnt process the game. His ability to get to pucks first then turn them over was very unique. Jaros doesnt do that. Just because a player is a defensive d man doesnt mean he is bad... There are good defenisve d men, Ceci was just bad.

His ability to turn the puck over was hardly unique. Statistically he is pretty much average for give aways for D men playing elite shutdown minutes, and certainly notably below Ziatsev in that category.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Ceci deserved some criticism for sure but there was also significant criticism that was unwarranted. it became cool to dump on him so people did, warranted or not.

Most of the criticism you will see related to defensemen in the league today will be because of their inability to get the puck out of their own zone. If you can't do that in the NHL today you'll be in trouble.

Jaros doesn't have that problem. He see's the ice well and can skate the puck out of danger while keeping control of the puck. That's the biggest difference between Ceci and Jaros, Ceci panicked whenever there was pressure and his game was very ugly because of it, Jaros is a lot more calm and able to process and act accordingly under pressure.

If Ceci was able to get the puck out of the zone like Jaros, he would still be here.

Reactions: derriko

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
It will be interesting to see how he does in another environment.

I've always rooted for him and thought he was getting unfair criticism due to his role and playing style, but on the other hand the advanced stats do not paint a pretty picture.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Besides having given me a pair of tickets and a signed picture (my father used to work with his parents), was nothing but a disappointment, IMO. Had huge hopes for him coming out of OHL, didn't pan out. Hope he bounces back in Toronto. Nice guy, not nice enough to make up for all the rough times he's given us.

Reactions: Variable26

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
His ability to turn the puck over was hardly unique. Statistically he is pretty much average for give aways for D men playing elite shutdown minutes, and certainly notably below Ziatsev in that category.

Well yes it was unique in how he accomplished it. His feet would get him there very quickly, his turnovers happened in situations where he had time to make the correct play because his physical tools are so good. Zaitsev is a much better passer, he can actually make decisions under pressure.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Well yes it was unique in how he accomplished it. His feet would get him there very quickly, his turnovers happened in situations where he had time to make the correct play because his physical tools are so good. Zaitsev is a much better passer, he can actually make decisions under pressure.

So did Ottawa "win" the trade?

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Most of the criticism you will see related to defensemen in the league today will be because of their inability to get the puck out of their own zone. If you can't do that in the NHL today you'll be in trouble.

Jaros doesn't have that problem. He see's the ice well and can skate the puck out of danger while keeping control of the puck. That's the biggest difference between Ceci and Jaros, Ceci panicked whenever there was pressure and his game was very ugly because of it, Jaros is a lot more calm and able to process and act accordingly under pressure.

If Ceci was able to get the puck out of the zone like Jaros, he would still be here.

Jaros had much easier opponents last year to play against and played much less minutes than Ceci was always much more physically refreshed. Its yet to be seen how he will handle playing elite level talent. Guys like McDavid come at you much faster than guys like Luke Kunin ......

Jaros managed a give away every 21.9 minutes against inferior competition. Ceci managed one turnover every 28.2 minutes against notably superior competition.

People have it in their mind that Ceci is terrible with the puck, and it causes them to amplify and remember when he does make mistakes. But when compared against his peers, his turnovers are not an issue. Indeed, Jaros is a turnover machine compared to Ceci. I get the eye test, but if people have already made up their mind, then they see what they want to see.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad