Player Discussion Cody Ceci Appreciation Thread

hirez

Feb 25, 2012
I appreciate that he's gone, I don't appreciate he brought Zaitsev in return :(

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I was a big fan of Ceci when he was with the 67s but he got rushed to the NHL without sufficient seasoning in the AHL. I don't think he was anywhere near as bad as some people made him out to be but a change of scenery seemed called for. I'm hoping he achieves his full potential with the Leafs. Good luck Cody.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Thank God won’t have to read about Ceci getting bashed non stop. Gotta wonder who’s next though. Boedker and Ryan are obvious targets already; with Boro and Smith too. Anderson too

All the rest are still quite young. Oh yeah maybe Hainsey and Zaitsev

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Thank God won’t have to read about Ceci getting bashed non stop. Gotta wonder who’s next though. Boedker and Ryan are obvious targets already; with Boro and Smith too. Anderson too

Funny that you named all the garbage players.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
One day it is going to be Jaros. In the same way it was Phillips before Ceci.
I’m not sure what you’re trying to get at here. Every player has a decline in their play when they age but Ceci is 25.

Or are you saying that Ceci is a whipping boy that got unwarranted criticism? Because that’s far from the truth.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I’m not sure what you’re trying to get at here. Every player has a decline in their play when they age but Ceci is 25.

Or are you saying that Ceci is a whipping boy that got unwarranted criticism? Because that’s far from the truth.

I think it's more a certain mold of player that gets picked on. Jaros in a lot of ways reminds me of Ceci, just as Ceci reminded me of Phillips. Lets not forget it wasn't long ago many had high hopes for Ceci.

Reactions: JungleBeat

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Ceci deserved some criticism for sure but there was also significant criticism that was unwarranted. it became cool to dump on him so people did, warranted or not.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If ever there was a guy on a "show me" contract, it's Cody Ceci in 2019-20. He was looking for a long term deal from the Sens in the six year range at 5.5-6 mil AAV. Instead of getting that, he gets shipped out of town and has to basically settle for his one year qualifying offer. There's a message in that, clearly. He basically has this year to show the Leafs or someone else that he is worthy of a longer term deal. Otherwise, he'll become that guy who keeps getting passed around the league, signing a series of one year deals until you turn around one day and discover that he's playing for Zug in the Swiss League...

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think it's more a certain mold of player that gets picked on. Jaros in a lot of ways reminds me of Ceci, just as Ceci reminded me of Phillips. Lets not forget it wasn't long ago many had high hopes for Ceci.
Ceci couldnt process the game. His ability to get to pucks first then turn them over was very unique. Jaros doesnt do that. Just because a player is a defensive d man doesnt mean he is bad... There are good defenisve d men, Ceci was just bad.

Reactions: robsenz

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Ceci couldnt process the game. His ability to get to pucks first then turn them over was very unique. Jaros doesnt do that. Just because a player is a defensive d man doesnt mean he is bad... There are good defenisve d men, Ceci was just bad.

I agree Ceci’s lack of puck skills and inability to transition causes him a lot of issues. Though with Jaros he is prone to the same errors, now Jaros is a different player and does bring different elements but we have been down this path before. My hope is that Jaros is given an opportunity to succeed and isn’t buried in though matchups but he is never going to be a point producer and that leaves him vulnerable to some.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ceci should never have been put in an strictly defensive shut down role. He was overexposed in that role

Ceci has good size and he can skate and win board battles. His issues came from lack of vision and lack of ability to process quickly out of his own zone. Not a good recipe for a shut down D. Playing with P9 when he got too slow did not help him. He could not use P9 as an escape valve.

Ceci was good at reading the play in the neutral zone and jumping in on the rush where he could get the puck with speed. That part of the game was probably his best.

At the offensive blue line he had trouble getting shots off , having to dust it off too long to take advantage of the chance. He also had tunnel vision, or lacked the vision to make plays to players in better position. Again this is a vision, processing speed issue.

All in all he was miscast .. but did not have the natural abilities to really compliment ozone starts .. nor dzone starts. He was NHL capable but as no more than a 4/5 and as a 4 would require a strong partner, and not be put in a totally defensive role against the other teams top lines.

Reactions: derriko

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ceci should never have been put in an strictly defensive shut down role. He was overexposed in that role

Ceci has good size and he can skate and win board battles. His issues came from lack of vision and lack of ability to process quickly out of his own zone. Not a good recipe for a shut down D. Playing with P9 when he got too slow did not help him. He could not use P9 as an escape valve.

Ceci was good at reading the play in the neutral zone and jumping in on the rush where he could get the puck with speed. That part of the game was probably his best.

At the offensive blue line he had trouble getting shots off , having to dust it off too long to take advantage of the chance. He also had tunnel vision, or lacked the vision to make plays to players in better position. Again this is a vision, processing speed issue.

All in all he was miscast .. but did not have the natural abilities to really compliment ozone starts .. nor dzone starts. He was NHL capable but as no more than a 4/5 and as a 4 would require a strong partner, and not be put in a totally defensive role against the other teams top lines.
How I feel about Ceci as well,if he plays on a deep blueline he should be able to help.And some team will be very pleased with him

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Well by the end of next season I assume that Boedker, Boro, DeMello, Hainsey, Ennis, Condon & maybe Anderson to all be gone. While I expect that Smith & Ryan will still get most of the criticism I also assume that there could be a number of players up for being criticized next yr in Tierny, Duclair, Zaitsev & Nilsson.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well by the end of next season I assume that Boedker, Boro, DeMello, Hainsey, Ennis, Condon & maybe Anderson to all be gone. While I expect that Smith & Ryan will still get most of the criticism I also assume that there could be a number of players up for being criticized next yr in Tierny, Duclair, Zaitsev & Nilsson.

That seems to be a fairly likely projection. There is little to support a significant change in the fortunes of the Senators at this time. Bottom quartile performance is most likely with strong possibility of being bottom three in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->