Codey Burki is tearing it up

The Fuhr*

He was selected 59th overall by the Avs this past draft and is dominating the WHL.

He leads the WHL with 36 points including 17 goals and 26PIM in 24 games.

Why was the reason he was overlooked at the draft, I had heard he was lazy but that does not seem like a great reason to pass on him and give up on such skill.

Do you think he can continue this pace and what are his chances of making the world Junior team for Canada?

What his his upside in at the NHL level? It seems like the Avs found themselves a major steal at the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Towelie*

Keep in mind that Burki is playing with Simek and Derlago, all three of with are in the top 5 of WHL scoring.

I don't get to watch Brandon, so I can't comment on who is carrying who, just as likely, maybe they just have great chemistry.

By the way, Simek was drafted in the 6th round, so take that Colorado!

It would be nice if someone from Brandon could comment on these three dynamic players and there potentials.

DreamCatcher*

This is Burki's 4th year in the WHL so he does have some experience to go along with his skill. People should be more impressed with Martin Hanzal and Juraj Simek who came in this league as rookies and are among top 5.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
This is Burki's 4th year in the WHL so he does have some experience to go along with his skill. People should be more impressed with Martin Hanzal and Juraj Simek who came in this league as rookies and are among top 5.

Pretty sure that both Hanzal and Simek are older than Burki.......and if not they are the same age.........also both have a total offensive game with no grit to it.

I am from Brandon and have seen every home game of Burki over the last 4 years and many road games........the reason he was passed over till the Avs selected him was exactly that, he has a tendency to be lazy.......or had that tendency at least........hes looked great all season from what ive seen, but in the previous seasons he would either be the best player on the ice or you wouldnt even notice that he was playing that night.

He absolutely has the skill to keep up his point pace and win the Scoring race in the Dub this season........him and Derlago have been together for 2 years now and have great chemistry.........Simek fits in really well because the other 2 create room for him.........Simek is a total offense guy much like Jakub Sindel was a few years back for Brandon......guy has a real nice wrist shot, can skate really well, has great moves, but isnt much in traffic.

Derlago has a ton of skill with the puck but is such a slow skater.....nothing will ever come of him because of his foot speed but he should have a real nice year this year in the league.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Funny when I saw them in Vancouver I thought Simek was much more physical.... but that was only one game so I defer to the Brandon followers

Vik

Nov 18, 2004
When Simek gets mad at something he likes to throw his weight at people.

Simek's on a line with Burki and Daniel Bartek while Derlago's with Andrew Clark and Ryan Reaves but the 3 play together on the powerplay.

I think the reason Burki's doing better this year is because Simek has kind of become the guy on the team. And even with them on the same line, it's kind of our second line the way the Clark line was playing.

Last year we didn't exactly have much in the way of scoring so we depended on the Derlago - Burki - Sandell line and because neither of those wingers is going to scare anyone while carrying the puck, all you had to do was shut down Burki and you usually shut down the line and our team. Plus we didn't have any shooters on the team last year so our powerplay couldn't do much. With Simek this year, he either scores himself or draws attention to himself which opens up other players.

windflare

May 31, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
When Simek gets mad at something he likes to throw his weight at people.

Simek's on a line with Burki and Daniel Bartek while Derlago's with Andrew Clark and Ryan Reaves but the 3 play together on the powerplay.

I think the reason Burki's doing better this year is because Simek has kind of become the guy on the team. And even with them on the same line, it's kind of our second line the way the Clark line was playing.

Last year we didn't exactly have much in the way of scoring so we depended on the Derlago - Burki - Sandell line and because neither of those wingers is going to scare anyone while carrying the puck, all you had to do was shut down Burki and you usually shut down the line and our team. Plus we didn't have any shooters on the team last year so our powerplay couldn't do much. With Simek this year, he either scores himself or draws attention to himself which opens up other players.

I agree with you, esp. in response to Simek's physical-ness. In one of them games, a guy knocked him down on a play. Simek got back up, anticipated the oncoming play nicely, and absolutely ran over the other guy on open ice. When he gets mad, he does throw his weight around effectively.

weezman

I am from Brandon and have seen every home game of Burki over the last 4 years and many road games........the reason he was passed over till the Avs selected him was exactly that, he has a tendency to be lazy.......or had that tendency at least........hes looked great all season from what ive seen, but in the previous seasons he would either be the best player on the ice or you wouldnt even notice that he was playing that night.

There are better articles but this one was easiest to find.
http://www.coloradoavalanche.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?NID=687

Quoted from article:
Burki attended both the Avalanche’s rookie camp and training camp in September and soaked up knowledge from the likes of Joel Quenneville, Joe Sakic and Milan Hejduk. Burki didn’t make the opening night roster, but he learned what he needs to improve to play in the National Hockey League.

“I saw what it takes to be a pro,†Burki said. “That’s what I took with me to the Western League.â€

The play at training camp was “a lot harder than it is here (in Brandon),†Burki said. “Training camp really helped in coming here to the Western league where the pace is a little bit slower.â€

He returned to the Wheat Kings confident and ready to do what he does best – in his own words, “making plays and putting pucks in the net.â€

Perhaps it was all motivation? He just needed to see what he was playing for? Just some thoughts. I am glad that he is playing well either way. It may not be a steal, but it definitely looks like it was a good/great pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->