Coburn Vs Stuart

Double O Soul

Apr 1, 2004
Raleigh NC
Braydon Coburn don't know much about him but he is a big boy!

oh yeah, he is a great big boy and a terrific skater too. Has a great set of tools as well, I remember seeing him in a preseason game this year and he was dominant. Seemed to struggle under Hartley in Atlanta and was only decent in the AHL. Id like to see him be a bit more physical, but Id hate to see Hartley turn him into an Andy Sutton

Mark Stuart is not quite as big and doesnt posess all the natural talent Coburn does, but seems to have his head more squarely on his shoulders. ID love to see a Stuart like mean streak with Coburn

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
We loved Mark Stuart in Boston last year, did not look out of place. While the Scott Stevens comparison seems very silly, he could be similar to Adam Foote at best.

Coburn probably has a higher ceiling, but at this point Stuart is more of a sure thing. If you need someone this year, take Stuart. If you'd rather wait and get more of a top end prospect, take Coburn.

Double O Soul

Apr 1, 2004
Raleigh NC
We loved Mark Stuart in Boston last year, did not look out of place. While the Scott Stevens comparison seems very silly, he could be similar to Adam Foote at best.

Coburn probably has a higher ceiling, but at this point Stuart is more of a sure thing. If you need someone this year, take Stuart. If you'd rather wait and get more of a top end prospect, take Coburn.

haha I actually ahve both in an NHL stats based sim league. Im considering trading one of them for a veteran dman.

I really liked what I saw of Stuart in the tail end of last year as well, he was even playing top 4 minutes the last couple games.

thanks for the insight

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
I'd rather have Coburn, both will be very efficient shut-down type dmen. Coburn has more intangibles tho IMO, he is a better skater, and has somewhat of an offensive game unlike Mark Stuart who is pure defense. Based on that I would find Coburn a more valuble commodity.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
I thought Stuart showed excellent agility, he was surprisingly quick. He was relentless chasing down players in the defensive zone. He was on them like glue. I think he's going to be a very strong defensive defenceman, an amazing PK'er.

For a guy who doesn't have any offensive to his game, he has some solid puck control and passing skill. He's not a liability with the puck.

Two things I noticed about him that weren't so great...his speed, and aggressiveness. He looks to only have average speed and we never saw any of that mean streak we all heard about. It was only 17 games, but I believe we all would like to see a little more toughness from him than what he showed.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
While I totally agree with what was said about Stuart I'd still take Coburn, cause I think he'll be as good defensively but in the long run he'll bring more offense to the table

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I hope everyone picking Coburn knows something I don't. It's too soon to call him a bust, but not too soon to start worrying that he won't come close to realizing his potential. He, along with Ryan Suter and Dion Phaneuf, was considered the cream of the defensive crop at the '03 draft. Three years later, those two have left him in their dust. If Coburn makes the Thrashers' sorry roster out of training camp, it will be because of his potential, not because of his play to date.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Most Defencemen takes longer to develop Suter and Phaneuf are exceptional talent.

Look at Niklas Kronwall he was drafted in 2000 and has has just started to make it for real. Yet everybody,(and righfully so) agree that this kid is a Jem.:dunno:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I hope everyone picking Coburn knows something I don't. It's too soon to call him a bust, but not too soon to start worrying that he won't come close to realizing his potential. He, along with Ryan Suter and Dion Phaneuf, was considered the cream of the defensive crop at the '03 draft. Three years later, those two have left him in their dust. If Coburn makes the Thrashers' sorry roster out of training camp, it will be because of his potential, not because of his play to date.
Agreed There are several D-men taken after Coburn that have shown far more than he has!!

bastone

Mar 24, 2005
Stuart for me.The few games he played last season he was great and also very mature

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004

The cream of the crop is now Dion, Suter, and Weber :yo: Nashville made out like bandits that draft.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Coburn is as close to a bust as you can get, he looked god awful in the AHL last year and really hurt his team with poor passes and his penalty taking problem.

He should be a serviceable lower end guy because of his size and natural skill package.. but that is dissapointing considering where he was drafted.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I'd take Stuart, maybe because I have seen him more and followed his progress since he was drafted. Every scouting report and interview with his coaches has said he is future captain material, a great leader and he has a lot of pride in that role, so when you talk about intangables, I am assuming that is the kind of thing you are talking about.
building a team is about getting the right pieces for the puzzle, I think Stuart is a big piece of the Bruins future, every team needs guys like that.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Tough Skating is not a strenght, He's still way more mobile than Hall Gill, who might be faster if he was wearing cement shoes. Though he will never be Dion Phaneuf, he still has all the tools to be an excellent defenceman. Just give him time to devellop... remember how Charra was labelled as a 5th D-men when he first came to the NHL... Now he won't be the next Charra... but sometimes it take a little longer to fully devellop for some Big Guys

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
He already is a far better skater with a better head for defense than Gill. Maybe I'm being a homer, but I still have full faith he'll be a fine NHL defenseman.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Well I'm a Habs fan and if you lose faith just let Bob know and we'll try to work something out;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->