Coburn vs Belle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
Realizing that its only been two games of a seven game series, but so far, Shawn Belle has far outplayed Braydon Coburn. Belle has stepped up and taken his game to another level, while Coburn still seems to be floundering in the "need to be more physical" quagmire he's been stuck in for a good part of this season.

Belle has used his speed, and shown a willingness to take on Hawks forwards as well, and overpower them with a strength I hadn't seen him use before. He's man handled a couple of the Hawks, and left them on the ice wondering what train just hit them.

If Belle can maintain this level of play, I'd say St Louis has a steal with the #30 pick in Belle.

leafaholix*

He's not only big and physical, but he's one of the best skaters in junior hockey.

Huge pick by St. Louis.

Plager05

Mar 17, 2002
Sewers
Visit site
Larry Pleau, the Blues GM, recently said that Belle is physically ready to play in the NHL. He doesn't dole out praise to prospects easily.

Belle Article

end of 5th paragraph.

Last edited:

leafaholix*

Apparentely he's got the build of a body builder, I haven't seen him without his equipment and jersey on.

;)

And he can skate as well as any NHL player.

Hitman*

Whawks33 said:
If Belle can maintain this level of play, I'd say St Louis has a steal with the #30 pick in Belle.

I would agree. His value was hurt by playing on an awful Tri-Cities team, but the physical aspect is there and his speed is hardly matched.

Sammy*

Hitman said:
I would agree. His value was hurt by playing on an awful Tri-Cities team, but the physical aspect is there and his speed is hardly matched.
Isnt his big shortcoming is that he isnt what one would call the, uh , smartest player out there, hence he was picked latter 1st round?

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Great physical tools, especially the speed, but not much else. Every time I've seen him in person, he's looked pretty bad. He's fast enough to recover if he gambles at the blue line and lets a guy by him, but he also tends to make some really dumb passes in his own end that his skating skills can't fix. Pleau's right about his strength and speed being NHL-ready, but he's going to need some time in the minors to learn not to be such a defensive liability. And he doesn't have much offensive sense yet, either - he still hasn't managed to break 30 points in a junior season.

I'd say it's still very iffy on whether or not he develops into somebody who was worth spending a second-rounder on. My best case for him is developing into somebody like Bret Hedican, an OK guy for the second defensive pair.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
He's not only big and physical, but he's one of the best skaters in junior hockey.

Huge pick by St. Louis.

This was all known well before the draft. He fell to St. Louis because his hockey sense came under repeated attacks from scouts and prospect evaluation services.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
SmokeyClause said:
This was all known well before the draft. He fell to St. Louis because his hockey sense came under repeated attacks from scouts and prospect evaluation services.

As a Blues fan, I was really disappointed they picked Belle. I don't deny his physical skills, but don't really think that will translate into considerable success at the NHL level. I was pushing for Patrick O'Sullivan, but I'm not the G.M. so............... Shoot, I would have been happier with Danny Richmond.

CuSa_1

Feb 15, 2004
One thing I did like hearing is that Belle was considered the fastest players of any that were selected in last year's amateur draft.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Sammy said:
Isnt his big shortcoming is that he isnt what one would call the, uh , smartest player out there, hence he was picked latter 1st round?

This is his short-coming - due in large part to the fact that the Ams have done little to improve that aspect of his game. The hope is that if you combine his considerable talents with maturity and coaching, you may have the makings of a good defenseman sooner than some might expect. We will see...

Buannan

Oct 1, 2003
Seattle, Washington
gb701 said:
This is his short-coming - due in large part to the fact that the Ams have done little to improve that aspect of his game. The hope is that if you combine his considerable talents with maturity and coaching, you may have the makings of a good defenseman sooner than some might expect. We will see...
the ams' coaching is better this year...which shows with both their position in the standings and the players themselves
belle has played better this year...he's not a genius on the ice...but he has improved...so maybe some decent coaching will help his game
I'm still not all that sure you can teach someone hockey sense though...I think you're either born with it or not

db23

Leafaholix said:
What?

They're nothing alike... aside from them both being African-Canadians.

All that is being said about Belle was said about Doig a few years back. He was expected to go 1-2 with Bryan Berard in the draft when they were both 17. Great size, speed, and athletic ability but no one driving the train.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
Apparentely he's got the build of a body builder, I haven't seen him without his equipment and jersey on.

;)

And he can skate as well as any NHL player.
At Blues camp this fall it was easy to see that skating is his best asset, he skated as well as anyone on the team.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
As a Blues fan, I was really disappointed they picked Belle. I don't deny his physical skills, but don't really think that will translate into considerable success at the NHL level. I was pushing for Patrick O'Sullivan, but I'm not the G.M. so............... Shoot, I would have been happier with Danny Richmond.
Trust in Yarmo bro, Trust in Yarmo.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Leafaholix said:
What?

They're nothing alike... aside from them both being African-Canadians.

I wouldn't say they are nothing alike. It's just that it's a comparison that is not much more accurate than dozens of other players.

For what it's worth, I remember Doig quite well back in the days and I much prefer Belle. I would not be disappointed with Belle 30th overall. At that point in the draft, the raw talent he has makes him as good a pick as any, with huge potential.

I agree you can't teach hockey sense. You can however take shortcuts that will partly overcome this. Exeperience always helps. Sound positioning and keeping it simple. Most importantly, a good solid collective system will make a guy look better than he is. If Belle is not put in a system where Ds are expected to take lots of initiatives, he might be ok. If he is brought in optimal conditions, this guy might thrive. He looks VERY gifted in several areas but very dumb. I see nice potential regardless and I am actually very biased for hockey sense usually. When I have seen him, I've seen the worse but buried in there were nice efforts and some good plays. Coaching, reinforcement and maturation might do wonders for this guy in a couple of years if he is brought smoothly.

He could be a lesser Jovo, and that's not too shabby with a 30th pick. Of course he could also be a borderline 5th guy. Again, not always a bad thing if he excels at it. If the franchise is smart they will find a role for him that he can excel in at the NHL level. And sometimes, excelling at what you do is what really matters in the NHL, not which pairing or line you play on. He has superb intangibles. I have to agree he is a risk but I wouldn't have it any other way in the first round. The Blues took a guy who is risky but has significant upside and I applaud them for it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
c-carp said:
Trust in Yarmo bro, Trust in Yarmo.

I trust the scouting staff, for instance I really liked the David Backes pick. However, I would have preferred someone other than Belle in the 1st round, but that's me. I hope he works out.

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
I trust the scouting staff, for instance I really liked the David Backes pick. However, I would have preferred someone other than Belle in the 1st round, but that's me. I hope he works out.
Hmm, you would have rather had...

Patrick O'Sullivan - From Carolina.
Danny Richmond - From Chicago.

... and you really like...

David Backes - From Minnesota.

... but you wouldn't have taken...

Shawn Belle - From Alberta.

... in the first round?

;)

Trust me... from the bit I've seen, you should definately be happy with Belle. He's as good a skater as anybody in the NHL... he's physical and his positioning is really great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:
Hmm, you would have rather had...

Patrick O'Sullivan - From Carolina.
Danny Richmond - From Chicago.

... and you really like...

David Backes - From Minnesota.

... but you wouldn't have taken...

Shawn Belle - From Alberta.

... in the first round?

;)

Trust me... from the bit I've seen, you should definately be happy with Belle. He's as good a skater as anybody in the NHL... he's physical and his positioning is really great.

Oops! Another Leaf fan has uncovered the fact that I'm biased towards American players! :p Don't get me wrong, I think Belle has alot of potential, and don't deny his physical abilities, I just wonder how his game will translate to the NHL.

Blatny Spears

Feb 27, 2002
Toxostoma rufum
Visit site
Steering things back a little on topic, who do you all think will be the better NHL, Coburn or Belle? I've heard some say Coburn has been disappointing this season while others have said he's improved. What do you think?

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Blatny Spears said:
Steering things back a little on topic, who do you all think will be the better NHL, Coburn or Belle? I've heard some say Coburn has been disappointing this season while others have said he's improved. What do you think?

I would be shocked if a single person told you that Belle will be better than Coburn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad