Coaching?

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
The team will obviously get more familiar with the system. However, what concerns me is the lack of physical effort by most of the team. When your team isn't the most skilled, you have to out-work your competition to win. I see a lot of the same lackadaisical play from the PBD team in the play this year as well. The team doesn't hit, and doesn't out-work their opponents.

Looks at stats for hits (not a perfect stat I acknowledge) the Sharks rank LAST in the league in hits/60. I have watched a lot of NHL this season, and can tell you the stats definitely back up the eye-test on this one. I used to think the problem with effort was PDB's system, but if you look at Vegas they have almost double the hits/60 as the Sharks. The Sharks also hit at a higher rate under PDB than BB. The sample size is very small, but something about watching the team screams "Country-Club" culture to me.
Definitely agree about the lack of hitting. Way too many fly by's by almost everyone not name Kane or Simek. Maybe that's why it's so obvious when Patty lays hits for a game or how physical Knyzov has been.

Reactions: jarr92

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
The team will obviously get more familiar with the system. However, what concerns me is the lack of physical effort by most of the team. When your team isn't the most skilled, you have to out-work your competition to win. I see a lot of the same lackadaisical play from the PBD team in the play this year as well. The team doesn't hit, and doesn't out-work their opponents.

Looks at stats for hits (not a perfect stat I acknowledge) the Sharks rank LAST in the league in hits/60. I have watched a lot of NHL this season, and can tell you the stats definitely back up the eye-test on this one. I used to think the problem with effort was PDB's system, but if you look at Vegas they have almost double the hits/60 as the Sharks. The Sharks also hit at a higher rate under PDB than BB. The sample size is very small, but something about watching the team screams "Country-Club" culture to me.

I think they are trying to out-work the opponent in dump n chase and cycling the puck. But, it only goes so far when the opposing team is often bigger/quicker/more skilled.

As for hitting, I can somewhat understand the lack of hits in the offensive and defensive zones. When in those zones, they generally aren't that big or quick enough to close the distance. But, in the neutral zone or open ice situations, I would definitely expect more hits. They should be fast enough now to chase down the puck handlers.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
I couldn't put my finger on it at first, but when I saw news (or lack of news) regarding the Boughner rehire I knew the season was probably lost. I wasn't sure why but it hit me the other day.. he is basically the Sharks version of Jim Tomsula.

tombob.jpg

Both had worked their way up as assistants and had head coaching experience (Tomsula in NFL Europe), both are "good guys" who players seem to like playing for, both come off a bit rough in interviews, and both have a somewhat modest personality.

The guy is a clown, but IMO hiring a Type-A personality like Gallant for head coach would have been a better shake-up for the team than keeping the status quo in check with BB. An abrasive coach isn't great, but a "Coworker" culture is certainly worse.

Reactions: WSS11

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
I couldn't put my finger on it at first, but when I saw news (or lack of news) regarding the Boughner rehire I knew the season was probably lost. I wasn't sure why but it hit me the other day.. he is basically the Sharks version of Jim Tomsula.

View attachment 396602

Both had worked their way up as assistants and had head coaching experience (Tomsula in NFL Europe), both are "good guys" who players seem to like playing for, both come off a bit rough in interviews, and both have a somewhat modest personality.

The guy is a clown, but IMO hiring a Type-A personality like Gallant for head coach would have been a better shake-up for the team than keeping the status quo in check with BB. An abrasive coach isn't great, but a "Coworker" culture is certainly worse.

Boughner did have more HC time than Jimmy T, but the storylines are similar. 2019-2020 Boughner was somewhat creative. But 2021 Boughner has been revealed as the GM's puppet.

On that note, PDB reminds me of Shanahan - almost got to the top a couple times and is known for rolling hard with favorites.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Boughner did have more HC time than Jimmy T, but the storylines are similar. 2019-2020 Boughner was somewhat creative. But 2021 Boughner has been revealed as the GM's puppet.

On that note, PDB reminds me of Shanahan - almost got to the top a couple times and is known for rolling hard with favorites.
Difference between Shanahan and DeBoer is Shanahan can coach players into being better than they really are. DeBoer more or less gets the best out of a group for a short time then loses them.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Difference between Shanahan and DeBoer is Shanahan can coach players into being better than they really are. DeBoer more or less gets the best out of a group for a short time then loses them.

Yeah I see your point. I was going with the idea that for every Goodrow and Dillon, there is a Marc-Eduard Garoppolo. ;)

Reactions: Quid Pro Clowe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad