TSN: Coaches Survey: Price voted best Eastern conference goalie

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
But take away Price and the Habs are a lottery team. How do other teams look when their best player is removed from the equation? Am I digressing?

68*

There wasn’t a lot of consensus on this one, with seven coaches getting at least one vote. Tampa’s Jon Cooper, Florida’s Gerard Gallant, Washington’s Barry Trotz, Detroit’s Mike Babcock and Montreal’s Michel Therrien garnered one vote apiece, leaving the Rangers’ Alain Vigneault and the Islanders’ Jack Capuano to battle it out for the remaining five votes. Capuano got the nod, getting three to Vigneault’s two.

I guess NHL coaches are idiots also....
Therrien voted for Gallant who voted for Therrien.

CanadianLover

Oct 27, 2014
And that opinion is wrong. Every player on every team has different shooting tendencies that a goalie has to account for, and then we have to start talking about team tendencies and strategies. It's a team game and they all have to adapt but I would argue that, individually at least, the goalie is the one that has to account for these changes the most.
I am not wrong. Fowards and defensemen have a bigger adaptation to do. Shooting tendencies really. Price can practice those shooting tendencies with his teammates. But you can never be perfectly prepared to the other team's system.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
No disrespect to Henrik Lundqvist, but I'm not surprised by this. I love watching this guy play; The combination of athleticism and calmness he brings to the net is incomparable, really. Makes playing goalie look way easier than it actually is.

I'm definitely in the "If Price doesn't get hurt, we make it to the Cup finals" camp.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
No votes for Jonas "Monster" Gustavsson or or Reimer or Bernier? I thought they were all better than or equal to Price??

HabsDieHard*

Credit Timmins if you'd like but a 5th overall pick is going to be heavily impacted by what a GM feels about the situation. Gainey was the GM of a team that took a goalie 5th overall while they had one of the better goalies in the league at the time.

His protege eventually traded the other goalie in the 2 goalie situation.

They certainly made some mistakes between the 2 of them, but full credit goes to them IMO on drafting developing and keeping Carey Price.

If this team had gone with Halak years ago they would probably have been closer to Toronto in the last 5 years for overall results.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Credit Timmins if you'd like but a 5th overall pick is going to be heavily impacted by what a GM feels about the situation. Gainey was the GM of a team that took a goalie 5th overall while they had one of the better goalies in the league at the time.

They certainly made some mistakes between the 2 of them, but full credit goes to them IMO on drafting developing and keeping Carey Price.

If this team had gone with Halak years ago they would probably have been closer to Toronto in the last 5 years for overall results.
Exactly.

As Pierre McGuire so elegantly :)sarcasm:) put it when he was drafted, we had an abundance of other goalies in our system at the time and that draft had been one of the best in a long time. If your scout comes up to you and says "I want to take a goalie with the #5 pick" you, as a GM, better know if that's going to be worth it or not. Gainey didn't just go along with Timmins, he did his own research before making the decision to draft Price.

Timmins is a great scout, but he gets way too much credit around here sometimes.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I give props to TT. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes exactly but the draft is his baby. He gets criticized when we don't draft well so he should get props when we do.

That being said, Gainey also deserves props on this one. For all the abuse he takes (deservedly so btw) the core of this team was mostly built under his watch.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Exactly.

As Pierre McGuire so elegantly :)sarcasm:) put it when he was drafted, we had an abundance of other goalies in our system at the time and that draft had been one of the best in a long time. If your scout comes up to you and says "I want to take a goalie with the #5 pick" you, as a GM, better know if that's going to be worth it or not. Gainey didn't just go along with Timmins, he did his own research before making the decision to draft Price.

Timmins is a great scout, but he gets way too much credit around here sometimes.

Heh?

Just how much do you think Bergevin knows about any pick beyond the top 30? Even what he knows about the top 30 most likely comes from his scouting department - department of which Timmins is at the helm.

I can't pretend that I know the dynamic behind their relationship behind closed doors, but from what we know, Timmins is pretty much the one that decides who to draft. Which is only logical, considering he knows far more about prospects than anyone at the pro level, such as Bergevin or Gainey...

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

I think people give credit to Gauthier for trading Halak over Price but I remember Gainey constantly proclaiming his preference and saying "Price was a thoroughbred"

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Really? McDonagh? Am I the only one who finds him overrated? On pace for 32 points this year. By comparison, Subban has 31 points already.

Not saying Subban is the best but McDonagh? Really?

Yes.. yes you are the only one.

He's easily an elite / franchise D. Not sure why you bring up production, Doughty will never win a Norris because he doesn't put up 50+ pts a year but he's likely the best D in the league.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Heh?

Just how much do you think Bergevin knows about any pick beyond the top 30? Even what he knows about the top 30 most likely comes from his scouting department - department of which Timmins is at the helm.

I can't pretend that I know the dynamic behind their relationship behind closed doors, but from what we know, Timmins is pretty much the one that decides who to draft. Which is only logical, considering he knows far more about prospects than anyone at the pro level, such as Bergevin or Gainey...
I'm talking more in terms about the top 30. People say all the time "Timmins drafted Galchenyuk" or "Timmins drafted Price." No, he didn't. While he had a huge part in it, he's not the guy the makes the decision when it's all said and done.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'm talking more in terms about the top 30. People say all the time "Timmins drafted Galchenyuk" or "Timmins drafted Price." No, he didn't. While he had a huge part in it, he's not the guy the makes the decision when it's all said and done.

Well, he pretty much is the one making the decision. Sure, Bergevin has the final say in it (aside from Molson), but Bergevin will most likely sway into whichever direction Timmins pulls the strings.

TT simply knows a lot more about anything related to prospects than Bergevin or any GM ever would.

Off the top of my head, the only recent, publicly known situation where the GM/higher up management went against their scouts advice is Edmonton in 2012 going for Yakupov instead of Murray. We all know how that turned out.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Actually I seem to remember an interview recently where Bergevin said he personally really liked Morgan Rielly but trusted the scouts who wanted Galchenyuk.

Edit: it was a tweet from Chris Johnston of Sportsnet. Found the Habs EotP post about it: http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/l...-morgan-rielly-alex-galchenyuk-trevor-timmins

It all varies from team to team. Some GMs see a guy and want him no matter what (Doug MacLean with Zherdev in Columbus). Sometimes it's the owner (Katz apparently wanted Yakupov over the scouts who wanted Murray in EDM). Some GMs leave it to their scouts with only minor input.

I heard a story in 2005 where Timmins asked Gainey if he wanted a franchise goalie (Price) or a franchise D (Marc Staal). Gainey said the goalie and the rest is history.

Last edited:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Yes.. yes you are the only one.

He's easily an elite / franchise D. Not sure why you bring up production, Doughty will never win a Norris because he doesn't put up 50+ pts a year but he's likely the best D in the league.

I never said he wasn't a #1D and a franchise player for the rangers. I just don't see him being the 'best'. Maybe a case can be made this year if you want but generally speaking people tend to say Mcdonagh>>Subban/Karlsson, etc... I don't see it in general.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Actually I seem to remember an interview recently where Bergevin said he personally really liked Morgan Rielly but trusted the scouts who wanted Galchenyuk.

Edit: it was a tweet from Chris Johnston of Sportsnet. Found the Habs EotP post about it: http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/l...-morgan-rielly-alex-galchenyuk-trevor-timmins

It all varies from team to team. Some GMs see a guy and want him no matter what (Doug MacLean with Zherdev in Columbus). Sometimes it's the owner (Katz apparently wanted Yakupov over the scouts who wanted Murray in EDM). Some GMs leave it to their scouts with only minor input.

I heard a story in 2005 where Timmins asked Gainey if he wanted a franchise goalie (Price) or a franchise D (Marc Staal). Gainey said the goalie and the rest is history.
Pretty sure the Leaf scouts wanted Sakic and they were overruled by mgmt and they went with Richardson.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I never said he wasn't a #1D and a franchise player for the rangers. I just don't see him being the 'best'. Maybe a case can be made this year if you want but generally speaking people tend to say Mcdonagh>>Subban/Karlsson, etc... I don't see it in general.

According to Rangers fans themselves, McD was pretty terrible for a huge stretch early in the season. Then he got injured to his shoulder. Struggled even more after coming back. Recently picked it up a bit, but hardly a "good year" by elite defensemen standards.

The best defenseman in the Eastern conference this season, from my viewings, is either Subban or Letang. McDonagh really doesn't belong.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
According the Rangers fans themselves, McD was pretty terrible for a huge stretch early in the season. Then he got injured to his shoulder. Struggled even more after coming back. Recently picked it up a bit, but hardly a "good year" by elite defensemen standards.

The best defenseman in the Eastern conference this season, from my viewings, is either Subban or Letang. McDonagh really doesn't belong.
Karlsson gets no love?

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Subban still disrespected. That's what happens when your own media and fanbase blasts you all the time. Letang & McDonagh better than him. Give me a break.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad