TSN: Coaches Survey: Price voted best Eastern conference goalie

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
http://www.tsn.ca/rangers-blues-headline-tsn-s-who-s-best-nhl-coaches-survey-1.191758

Just prior to the NHL All-Star break, TSN surveyed 20 NHL head coaches - 10 in the East; 10 in the West - to determine Who’s Best in five categories: Best Team; Best Goalie; Best Defenceman; Best Player; and last but not least, Best Coach.

There were four stipulations. One - don’t vote for your own players or team. Two - vote for only one person/team per category. Three - vote only for players/teams/coaches in your own conference and four - base your votes on what you’ve seen on the ice this season.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

BEST GOALIE: It wasn’t unanimous, but Montreal’s Carey Price ran away with it, securing eight of 10 votes. New York Ranger Henrik Lundqvist got the other two.

Subban and Therrien each picked up 1 vote in best defenseman and best coach categories. I won't mention who won best defenseman.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Price? Pfft, overrated.

Main board says so (and that any goalie could have won on Team Canada and put up the numbers he did, but that's besides the point.).

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
There wasn’t a lot of consensus on this one, with seven coaches getting at least one vote. Tampa’s Jon Cooper, Florida’s Gerard Gallant, Washington’s Barry Trotz, Detroit’s Mike Babcock and Montreal’s Michel Therrien garnered one vote apiece, leaving the Rangers’ Alain Vigneault and the Islanders’ Jack Capuano to battle it out for the remaining five votes. Capuano got the nod, getting three to Vigneault’s two.

I guess NHL coaches are idiots also....

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
lol so many sarcastic comments in this thread... but let's be honest, you can't really judge off this since it's only for this year.... Rick Nash won best player.

He's having an unreal year... but definitely not the best player in the East

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Meh. 35th best goaltender in 2012-2013 and youngest Goaltender to 200 losses.

Budaj was pretty much as good as Price.

:sarcasm:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
These NHL coaches know nothing. How can they say such a thing when the experts on HF say he's overrated. I'll take the word of the HF experts over NHL coaches any day so don't believe a word of what these NHL coaches think. :sarcasm:

CanadianLover

Oct 27, 2014
Why is Price so overrated and Subban so underrated? Other goal tenders can be as dominant as Price. But who can equal Subban when he is at the top of his game?

CanadianLover

Oct 27, 2014
I think the difference is that Price is at the top of his game more often than Subban. Consistency counts.
I understand what you mean. But running with the puck 26 minutes every night while having to adapt to each team style of play is harder. Price has to stop the puck every night; there is no real adaptation to be done here. Every team shoots and you have to stop the puck. I think it is easier for a goal tender to have consistency than a foward or defenseman. Just my opinion.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
I understand what you mean. But running with the puck 26 minutes every night while having to adapt to each team style of play is harder. Price has to stop the puck every night; there is no real adaptation to be done here. Every team shoots and you have to stop the puck. I think it is easier for a goal tender to have consistency than a foward or defenseman. Just my opinion.

And that opinion is wrong. Every player on every team has different shooting tendencies that a goalie has to account for, and then we have to start talking about team tendencies and strategies. It's a team game and they all have to adapt but I would argue that, individually at least, the goalie is the one that has to account for these changes the most.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Really? McDonagh? Am I the only one who finds him overrated? On pace for 32 points this year. By comparison, Subban has 31 points already.

Not saying Subban is the best but McDonagh? Really?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Really? McDonagh? Am I the only one who finds him overrated? On pace for 32 points this year. By comparison, Subban has 31 points already.

Not saying Subban is the best but McDonagh? Really?
McD is a very good young Dman, but seems he gets overrated, maybe because he plays for the Rangers? He's good, but not Subban good...

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
What do stupid coaches know any way? Everyone wants their coaches fired for a reason.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I don't think you've ever played goal. Different shooters have different tendencies, teams have different approaches to generating shots and scoring chances. Goalies have to adapt to opponents and the flow of the game like everyone else. They also have to be aware of shooting tendencies of teams and players. Constantly thinking and preparing to react in the right way, while never overthinking things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad