Coaches from top college basketball programs arrested for fraud and corruption

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
All four of the assistant coaches named happen to be black. Don't know about the optics on that one.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Student-athletes need to fight for the right to be paid. The idea that college athletes shouldn't be paid is as archaic as some other historical ideas in America which have been abandoned. This would be the latest rights movement to take hold in America. Emmert needs to be removed and replaced with someone in favor of paying college athletes so that scandals like this don't happen anymore.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I don't think they should get salaries* or anything necessarily, the scholarship and stipend is fine (maybe give them a bigger stipend) but the fact they can't make money off their own image and likeness is the dumbest thing ever. Let them be in video games, commercials, do auto-graph signings, sell their own memorabilia, etc.

*Maybe an evenly distributed percentage what the school makes off that team could work.

Reactions: Voight and DaveG

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
The NCAA Tournament is in a broadcast contract with CBS and Turner. Those two can make the biggest difference. They can issue an ultimatum: either Emmert is replaced with someone in favor of paying college athletes or they can walk away from broadcasting future NCAA Tournaments. CBS and Turner should be uncomfortable with making so much off the event while the players aren't allowed to see a dime.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
For the "well they get to go to school for free crowd" .... what about this month where some players wont even attend one class due to the tournament? How do they study and prep for exams? Never mind the rest of the season where they are flying across the country or practicing the majority of the time.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
For the "well they get to go to school for free crowd" .... what about this month where some players wont even attend one class due to the tournament? How do they study and prep for exams? Never mind the rest of the season where they are flying across the country or practicing the majority of the time.
I mean, I didn't play sports at this high of a level of course, but what we did is bring our homework with us and do it. That's how we studied and prepped for exams. Yeah, it sucked, but oh well. I wrote half of my senior history thesis on a bus.

That said, I'm fully in favor of increasing the stipend for players.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
I just recently read about a top Syracuse recruit decommiting and going straight to the G League instead. That is the answer. More top prospects should go straight to the G League instead of to college as a way of undermining the NCAA. With most of the top high school players skipping college, the NCAA will definitely start paying college athletes.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
I dont see how Arizona, Louisville, Kansas, etc do not get postseason bans out of this.

Of course that means Northern Arizona, Bellarmine, and Emporia State will get comedown on hard.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I dont see how Arizona, Louisville, Kansas, etc do not get postseason bans out of this.

Of course that means Northern Arizona, Bellarmine, and Emporia State will get comedown on hard.

I'm sure that Arizona would be so upset if they vacated their first round NCAA Tournament blowout loss to Buffalo...

Reactions: Voight

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
They can vacate the money and then not goto the postseason for another 4 years.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
What a shocker, Shulman softballs an easy question to Vitale who refuses to come down hard on Self.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad