Coaches at NBA China Academies Complained of Player Abuse, Lack of Schooling

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Sources report abuse at NBA China academies

I'd hate to be Adam Silver right now. Being in bed with the CCP is not exactly a great idea when you're from outside the country. I know congress is looking into the NBA's business ties there so this is going to make things a lot worse.

Looks like they are trying to cover it up as well

Most of the former employees spoke on the condition of anonymity because they feared damaging their chances for future employment. NBA officials asked current and former employees not to speak with ESPN for this story. In an email to one former coach, a public relations official added: "Please don't mention that you have been advised by the NBA not to respond."

This part was a gem -
Tatum said the NBA received "a handful" of complaints that Chinese coaches had mistreated young players and immediately informed local authorities that the league had "zero tolerance" for behavior that was "antithetical to our values."

'Cause informing the authorities in China is going to solve anything. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Reactions: DoyleG and DaveG

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The shocking thing here is ESPN was the one to break/cover this. Everything else sadly does not surprise me. Doubtful anything comes of this unless the NBA starts getting hit hard in the wallet.

Reactions: DaveG and Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The shocking thing here is ESPN was the one to break/cover this. Everything else sadly does not surprise me. Doubtful anything comes of this unless the NBA starts getting hit hard in the wallet.

Yea, I was quite surprised they would report on this and even be the ones who broke the story. They even admitted they had a stake in some of the China operations.

If the NBA's sponsors in NA had any integrity, they would call out and the league and threaten to revoke their sponsorship. Its absolutly disgusting that they enabled child abuse and were OK with having a basketball camp not far from modern day concentration camps.

This certainly explains their line of thinking RE Hong Kong. "We work for the Chinese government" yea, no kidding.

Reactions: DaveG and Bruhin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad