Coach?

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I cannot believe we will keep Blashill. In that case will we get one before the draft? I would think that would be reasonable to assume. My top pick would be Lane Lambert, then the Finnish coach who I can’t remember his name and then Gallant

Reactions: nhlisawesome

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Gallant first. Foreign coach second.

I don't know anything about Lambert, but I know Lavy's been recycled too many times. If the Wings are going to make a splash, do it like when the Russian Five came in.

Blaze trails, don't follow them.

Reactions: hkydave04

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
New coach? Yes please.

Who? Blash and Disco Dan have set the bar so low I don't really care anymore. Get rid of the goaltending coach too.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Gallant is the obvious choice I think. Him and Yzerman are known friends, Organizations run best when players/coaches/front office are in lock-step. Idk if he's the best option but he's a really good option for head coach. Just my choice based off personalities and pass experience/success...

Always been intrigued by Rikard Gronborg but I'm not sure totally we're the team to take a risk on him. Swedish connection might of been there but basically all our veterans Swedes are gone. A team looking to take an upswing isn't the place for a coach like this. A team like the Sharks, Kings or Ducks who are just entering there rebuilds are better/more patient places for a coach like Gronborg. Anywhere else basically wants to see some results quickly.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Gallant will be a popular name, but I find it interesting Vegas has seen an improvement in critical areas like shots against since moving on.

4c6278d33893e9e524c7f3ad2d085f75

Now it's important to keep in mind this is a limited sample size but it's all we have to work with at the moment.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Just give me one of the Stevie Y's buddies, Gallant or Lambert and I'll be happy... Probably the prefer the bigger name, but don't know if Gerard wants to come to a flat out Rebuild

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Gallant is the obvious choice I think. Him and Yzerman are known friends, Organizations run best when players/coaches/front office are in lock-step. Idk if he's the best option but he's a really good option for head coach. Just my choice based off personalities and pass experience/success...

Always been intrigued by Rikard Gronborg but I'm not sure totally we're the team to take a risk on him. Swedish connection might of been there but basically all our veterans Swedes are gone. A team looking to take an upswing isn't the place for a coach like this. A team like the Sharks, Kings or Ducks who are just entering there rebuilds are better/more patient places for a coach like Gronborg. Anywhere else basically wants to see some results quickly.
Sakic and Roy for example

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I expressed my opinion on this in previous threads. Even if the coach is bad it doesn't matter until you have talent a coach can work with. If Yzerman has a coach in mind that is going to coach the next 5-10 years then great, if not we don't need a temporary until this team has a true core.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Gallant will be a popular name, but I find it interesting Vegas has seen an improvement in critical areas like shots against since moving on.

4c6278d33893e9e524c7f3ad2d085f75

Now it's important to keep in mind this is a limited sample size but it's all we have to work with at the moment.

I wonder how much of any of that may also be related to trade deadline moves.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I wonder how much of any of that may also be related to trade deadline moves.

Good question.

According to the players, DeBoer pushes a more involved defense in the offense than Gallant. Their scoring is also up significantly.

The main takeaways is since the coaching change they are suppressing more shots and generating more blueline offense. So overall, Vegas seems to be happy for now. But it's still quite early, obviously.

Reactions: RedMenace

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Is it 6/7 people who want a new coach?

I don't see the point until we have a core assembled and playing. Once we do than after say 1-2 years with them playing together I can see moving towards a proven playoff coach.

But for the next 2-3 years I don't see any reason to. If we play musical chairs with coaches, it can hurt a rebuild given that teenager stud prospects having to change system's every say 1-2 years. Which means outside of individual efforts development can stall due never having continuity in a standardized learning and applying environment.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I don't see the point until we have a core assembled and playing. Once we do than after say 1-2 years with them playing together I can see moving towards a proven playoff coach.

But for the next 2-3 years I don't see any reason to. If we play musical chairs with coaches, it can hurt a rebuild given that teenager stud prospects having to change system's every say 1-2 years. Which means outside of individual efforts development can stall due never having continuity in a standardized learning and applying environment.

It seems to me we have 6/7 posters here who would change the coach.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I’m fine with keeping Blashill. At least to start next year and see how he and the team respond.

Bylsma, on the other hand, needs to go. Dude is clueless.
About 2 percent of me ok with Blashill to stay ,but only by assistant coach. We need real coach, who challenge players, make them play 100 percent

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
It seems to me we have 6/7 posters here who would change the coach.

That could be true. But blash has suffered from fanatics sorry fans unlikely expectations of the wings this year and outright refusal to pin our man games lost as the main focus of the historically bad season.

If we had just 10th to 19th man games lost your looking at a bottom 4 team on Pace for around 50-59 points this season if it was a full season.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
That could be true. But blash has suffered from fanatics sorry fans unlikely expectations of the wings this year and outright refusal to pin our man games lost as the main focus of the historically bad season.

If we had just 10th to 19th man games lost your looking at a bottom 4 team on Pace for around 50-59 points this season if it was a full season.

Unrealistic expectations?
Most fans had the Wings competing for last.
I had the Wings pegged for last largely BECAUSE Jeff Blashill was still the coach after last offseason.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Unrealistic expectations?
Most fans had the Wings competing for last.
I had the Wings pegged for last largely BECAUSE Jeff Blashill was still the coach after last offseason.

Shows how little you are aware of this site. Nearly half this board thought that the wings would begin to climb outta the cellar this past off season. Maybe 10-20 percent of this board in the off season was realistic and had them pegged for a bottom 2-4 finish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad